Defensive Carry banner

Seattle's Deputy Mayor's advice to CWP's

4K views 39 replies 27 participants last post by  SFCDan 
#1 ·
Seattle Times: Sunday, September 9, 2012, page B2

in a story headlined, "Public forums to take up gun violence", Seattle Deputy Mayor Darryl Smith is quoted as saying,

"If you know someone with a gun, tell them to leave it at home. If you have a weapon, leave it at home. Maybe in that way the fights don't escalate..."

my answer:

dear Mr. Deputy Mayor: if someone points a gun in my direction, i am darn well going to escalate matters. i fail to see the wisdom in the Bad Guys having guns and the Good Guys not. maybe you think the Bad Guys will leave their guns at home because you asked nicely?

if you believe that unilateral disarmament is such a great idea, then my suggestion is that you have all your police officers leave THEIR guns at home. that way we can be sure that they won't do anything to escalate the fights.

if you want to bring up the extensive training that officers get that i have not gotten, i will point out the number of innocent bystanders that uniformed officers have killed or wounded in just the past few weeks.

i will also mention that my firearms instructor once told my class that she only feels it necessary to wear her bullet-proof vest WHEN SHE'S TRAINING OFFICERS, not when she trains ordinary citizens, because as a group, we are much safer weapon handlers.

finally, based on comparison with a friend who took the firearms qualification test several times when he was an officer, i probably shoot as well or better than 80% of your officers. and in my weekly group of 10-15 club shooters (none of whom were police officers) , i was slightly BELOW the average in shooting skills.

so should i decide to participate in your, "holistic approach" meetings to address, "what the city should do to respond" to escalating gun violence, be certain that i WILL be carrying my gun.

to DC forum members: knowing Seattle and Mayor McGinn's dislike of guns in the hands of ordinary people, i am fairly certain that their, "solutions" will involve trying to restrict the private ownership and carrying of handguns. the Washington State Constitution mentions the "right of the individual citizen" to firearms, and we also have a State preemption law which prohibits local jurisdictions from passing firearms laws more restrictive than the State law. This has not stopped Mayor McGinn, nor his predecessor, Mayor Nickles, from trying to do so anyway. so far, they have failed.

See less See more
#2 ·
#32 ·
Sounds like from the article this guy doesn't know what the hell he is doing.
The Mayor and Deputy Mayor of Seattle have some of the most ridiculous ideas (and I'm not just talking about this one). I lived in the Seattle area for about 20 years, a year out across the Sound and then down to Portland. I love Portland but totally despise the "leadership" of our city too. Makes one want to puke. I'm hoping we get someone good this November, but I'm not banking on it. Our Mayor/City Council, in their infinite wisdom, changed the garbage collection to every TWO weeks and upped the recycling and yard waste to every week.

#3 ·
He sounds like a Chicago refugee. Print a copy of WA state firearm statutes and write "Nuff Said" on it. Send it to him.

Reactions: Spirit51
#5 ·
Point out to your fearless leader how successful gun bans have been in stopping violent crime in Chicago and Detroit and with a big goofy grin on your face say, "Gee, we should do that here!"

Seriously though, I like your response. Did you actually send that to him in an email or letter? If not you should. At least a letter to the newspaper.

#9 ·
I think we should now all join hands in a circle, sing kumbaya, roast marshmallows and talk about our feeeelings.

(*Then a quick prayer for the citizens of Seattle, 'cause every smart felon in America is now heading Northwest. Why risk getting shot in Kentucky, Tennessee, etc. when there are FLOCKS of defenseless sheep to be sheared in...Washington State?)

#10 ·
Then a quick prayer for the citizens of Seattle, 'cause every smart felon in America is now heading Northwest. Why risk getting shot in Kentucky, Tennessee, etc. when there are FLOCKS of defenseless sheep to be sheared in...Washington State?
There are plenty of brick walls for felons to run into, in WA, OR, ID, even the northern third of CA. There's just altogether far too many head-in-sand voters who get kumbayah hacks elected.

Much as the Seattle "leaders" want to lead its citizens to disarmed victimhood, the people of the state have howled a resounding "No!" to that, and the state's senate has disallowed unconstitutional end-arounds via the preemption laws.

#15 ·
Of course, that begs the question... was a violent crime in progress at the time? And if so, did Dispatch understand that correctly? While that kind of response time is a joke even for something trivial, you might have gotten a different result if the call had been "My god, he's stabbing me! <gurgle>"

#16 ·
I live in Seattle, and last Sunday I had to call 911 at about 4 a.m.

The police showed up a little after 8. Their excuse? Shift change.

And now they want me to rely on them 100% for my safety and that of my family? I don't think so.

#17 ·
Not sure if this is a true story or an anticdote,,,,Seems a man calls 911 and says "someone is breaking into my garage" and the dispatcher says "we are in the middle of a shift change and all available officers are on more urgent business...I'll get someone there as soon as possible"...he waits a few minutes, calls back again requesting an officer be sent and hears the same story...all busy right now...about a half hour later he calls back and says "Don't worry about hurrying down here about that intruder...I shot him"...the police were there in 3 minutes....

#18 ·
Not sure if this is a true story or an antidote,,,,Seems a man calls 911 and says "someone is breaking into my garage" and the dispatcher says "we are in the middle of a shift change and all available officers are on more urgent business...I'll get someone there as soon as possible"...he waits a few minutes, calls back again requesting an officer be sent and hears the same story...all busy right now...about a half hour later he calls back and says "Don't worry about hurrying down here about that intruder...I shot him"...the police were there in 3 minutes....
It's a long story, some of which has been fleshed out here on the forum. I have a neighbor who is drinking himself to death. I have personally called 9-1-1 eight times in the last few weeks for noise and safety issues (mostly worried that he had killed himself). Each time the PD and FD show up, and he gets hauled off to the hospital. Until last Sunday, he came back every time and picked up where he left off.

At 4 a.m., my wife and I were startled awake by the familiar sound of him crashing to the floor, followed by some moans. We called 9-1-1, but didn't hear any noises after that. We assumed they arrived and hauled him off... until I got a phone call from the police at 8 a.m. because the building is secured, and they needed to be let in.

I asked the police officer somewhat incredulously why they were just now showing up, and the excuse was 'shift change'. I buzzed them in, and they found the neighbor once again in need of a hospital visit.

This is one of the saddest and most desperate things that I've ever experienced. It is absolutely heart-breaking watching someone slowly cripple and kill themselves. I visited him in the hospital and the two of us talked. I told him that while his disease can make him just about the worst neighbor one could have (shy of Jeffery Dahmer), I have nothing but compassion for him. I genuinely like the guy (we've talked once while he was sober, and he is a genuinely good guy whose disease has gotten away from him).

At any rate, I convinced him that he needed to check himself in to an in-residence recovery center, and promised that I would visit every week since his other friends abandoned him and he his sexual preference has meant that he's been ostracized from his family.

I look forward to seeing him this weekend, and hope for everyone's sake that he's turned the corner.

At any rate, I didn't call because someone was breaking into my garage. I don't know where you got that from or why it is in quotes. And they only told me about the shift excuse after showing up. The 9-1-1 operator simply said that she would dispatch both PD and FD. She dropped the ball big time. The guy could have died.

So, there you have it. 9-1-1 does not have a perfect track record.

As an aside, if someone was breaking in, I would let the operator know that I was armed because 1) it would be true, and 2) that usually gets you bumped to the top of the list.

#20 ·
in 1989 I was living in an apartment in Southeast Denver and on a bright and sunny Sunday afternoon, I heard the boom-boom-boom of shotgun fire from across the compound and saw two guys with blood flying everywhere running like scared and injured jack rabbits. I immediately dialed 911 with a "shots fired" -"need the Po-Po- here Now" statement.

the Denver PD showed up 2 and 1/2 hours later and established a perimeter three blocks away and waited another hour for SWAT to arrive.

....gonna leave my gun home and wait for the police to save me? When pigs fly.

#21 ·
Sounds to me like there is a villiage over in China that may want its idiot Deputy Mayor back.

Why don't these like minded fools, who hate the Second Amendment, and all it stands for just leave.

#23 ·
Better yet ... why don't we run 'em out of town on a rail? At some point, it's entirely likely to come to that.

In the meantime, voting out the liberty haters and enacting "iron-clad" Constitution and/or statute changes is how we'll have to leave our mark. Hopefully it can all be done before the bloodsuckers do too much more damage. We're heading in the right direction, more or less, with the 2A, but it's all still just one vote-flip or two away from erasure.

#22 ·
What Mr Smith is doing is playing politics with his inner city liberal community voters. Those are the majority in most large cities makeup of different types of voters. That's why these liberals leaders in Kilfornia, DC, Chicago and other weird places keep getting voted in, and it's not going to get any better. I strongly believe the conservative people are being out bred, if not already it will be soon. Then u will get change , I hate to say. This trend to happening slowly all over this great nation.

#24 ·
Was born and raised in Seattle.
Nothing short of a summons can get me visit that cesspool anymore.

The mayor, city council and police are a bad joke.

#26 ·
Maybe the "Deputy" Mayor Darryl has a brother named Larry and another brother named Darryl, his comments and solution to crime sounds like something to laugh at. I know I am laughing.

#27 ·
Must be easier to laugh when you're on the other side of the country from these idiots :tongue:

#28 ·
Seattle was pretty cool until the mid '80s when things went bad in CA, they all moved north to Seattle and ruined it--jacking up the prices and bringing their CA attitudes with them.

Reactions: RemMod597
#31 ·
I checked out the Seattle Walden Books a couple of years back. Took a close look at the magazine section. Very small and few sections of magazines the leftoids and liberals liked, rack after rack of magazines for people with more conservative tastes.

Better check who is counting the votes in Seattle; I don't think the politicians in office are getting elected.

#40 ·
He wouldn't be saying that if he was sitting in the movie theater in Colorado. 20 people with Glocks and the skills to use them may have saved a lot of lives, rather then an armed gunman shooting at people as if they were sheep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.