Seattle's Deputy Mayor's advice to CWP's

This is a discussion on Seattle's Deputy Mayor's advice to CWP's within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Seattle Times: Sunday, September 9, 2012, page B2 in a story headlined, "Public forums to take up gun violence", Seattle Deputy Mayor Darryl Smith is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Seattle's Deputy Mayor's advice to CWP's

Seattle's Deputy Mayor's advice to CWP's

Seattle Times: Sunday, September 9, 2012, page B2

in a story headlined, "Public forums to take up gun violence", Seattle Deputy Mayor Darryl Smith is quoted as saying,

"If you know someone with a gun, tell them to leave it at home. If you have a weapon, leave it at home. Maybe in that way the fights don't escalate..."

my answer:

dear Mr. Deputy Mayor: if someone points a gun in my direction, i am darn well going to escalate matters. i fail to see the wisdom in the Bad Guys having guns and the Good Guys not. maybe you think the Bad Guys will leave their guns at home because you asked nicely?

if you believe that unilateral disarmament is such a great idea, then my suggestion is that you have all your police officers leave THEIR guns at home. that way we can be sure that they won't do anything to escalate the fights.

if you want to bring up the extensive training that officers get that i have not gotten, i will point out the number of innocent bystanders that uniformed officers have killed or wounded in just the past few weeks.

i will also mention that my firearms instructor once told my class that she only feels it necessary to wear her bullet-proof vest WHEN SHE'S TRAINING OFFICERS, not when she trains ordinary citizens, because as a group, we are much safer weapon handlers.

finally, based on comparison with a friend who took the firearms qualification test several times when he was an officer, i probably shoot as well or better than 80% of your officers. and in my weekly group of 10-15 club shooters (none of whom were police officers) , i was slightly BELOW the average in shooting skills.

so should i decide to participate in your, "holistic approach" meetings to address, "what the city should do to respond" to escalating gun violence, be certain that i WILL be carrying my gun.

to DC forum members: knowing Seattle and Mayor McGinn's dislike of guns in the hands of ordinary people, i am fairly certain that their, "solutions" will involve trying to restrict the private ownership and carrying of handguns. the Washington State Constitution mentions the "right of the individual citizen" to firearms, and we also have a State preemption law which prohibits local jurisdictions from passing firearms laws more restrictive than the State law. This has not stopped Mayor McGinn, nor his predecessor, Mayor Nickles, from trying to do so anyway. so far, they have failed.
    surefire7, accessbob and Spirit51 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I know nothing of Seattle's neighborhood makeup, but the Deputy Mayor's idea of fighting crime is longer lasting light bulbs. I found this gem researching this guy:

Darryl Smith, Deputy Mayor, Calls Belltown a Model for Fighting Crime; Locals Laugh - Seattle - News - The Daily Weekly

City Light has worked on making sure street lights are lit with long-lasting bulbs
    Sounds like from the article this guy doesn't know what the hell he is doing.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    He sounds like a Chicago refugee. Print a copy of WA state firearm statutes and write "Nuff Said" on it. Send it to him.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    "If you know someone with a gun, tell them to leave it at home. If you have a weapon, leave it at home. Maybe in that way the fights don't escalate..."
    Another stupid idiot that thinks that criminals actually bother with permits. What a dolt!
    Spirit51 likes this.

Point out to your fearless leader how successful gun bans have been in stopping violent crime in Chicago and Detroit and with a big goofy grin on your face say, "Gee, we should do that here!"

Seriously though, I like your response. Did you actually send that to him in an email or letter? If not you should. At least a letter to the newspaper.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Deputy Darryl: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Spirit51 and Dandyone like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Seattle and the PNW. Is a safe haven compared to similar size cities. There uproar is over 24 homicides this year. How many cities with free fire zones would not love to switch numbers with Seattle ?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Sensei2 YOU are the problem. You are using logic, reason and common sense to address an idiot. WHAT ARE YOU THINKING???
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I think we should now all join hands in a circle, sing kumbaya, roast marshmallows and talk about our feeeelings.

(*Then a quick prayer for the citizens of Seattle, 'cause every smart felon in America is now heading Northwest. Why risk getting shot in Kentucky, Tennessee, etc. when there are FLOCKS of defenseless sheep to be sheared in...Washington State?)
    zonker1986 and Sky Pilot like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Then a quick prayer for the citizens of Seattle, 'cause every smart felon in America is now heading Northwest. Why risk getting shot in Kentucky, Tennessee, etc. when there are FLOCKS of defenseless sheep to be sheared in...Washington State?
    There are plenty of brick walls for felons to run into, in WA, OR, ID, even the northern third of CA. There's just altogether far too many head-in-sand voters who get kumbayah hacks elected.

Much as the Seattle "leaders" want to lead its citizens to disarmed victimhood, the people of the state have howled a resounding "No!" to that, and the state's senate has disallowed unconstitutional end-arounds via the preemption laws.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Once again here we go, this guy is an idiot. How is leaving my gun at home going to help me not to become a victim. Has he ever walked into his house and be confronted by 2 thugs trying to rip you off. If I had left my gun home, it could have had a different outcome.
    Sky Pilot and Spirit51 like this.

In the Deputy Mayors defence, Seattle is the territory of Phoenix Jones. Seattle has a super hero, no need for a gun

Real life super hero stops crime - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    (*Then a quick prayer for the citizens of Seattle, 'cause every smart felon in America is now heading Northwest. Why risk getting shot in Kentucky, Tennessee, etc. when there are FLOCKS of defenseless sheep to be sheared in...Washington State?)

No... they're not.

RCW 9.41.290: State preemption.

The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.

Seattle has been slapped by this one before.
    Nathanimal and jumpwing like this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

I live in Seattle, and last Sunday I had to call 911 at about 4 a.m.

The police showed up a little after 8. Their excuse? Shift change.

And now they want me to rely on them 100% for my safety and that of my family? I don't think so.
    zonker1986 and Sky Pilot like this.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    I live in Seattle, and last Sunday I had to call 911 at about 4 a.m.

The police showed up a little after 8. Their excuse? Shift change.

And now they want me to rely on them 100% for my safety and that of my family? I don't think so.
    Of course, that begs the question... was a violent crime in progress at the time? And if so, did Dispatch understand that correctly? While that kind of response time is a joke even for something trivial, you might have gotten a different result if the call had been "My god, he's stabbing me! <gurgle>"
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links