VA Supreme Court rules on felons and guns - Page 4

VA Supreme Court rules on felons and guns

This is a discussion on VA Supreme Court rules on felons and guns within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The laws about felons not being able to vote Felons vote in the most states. State Felon Voting Laws - Felon Voting - ProCon.org...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: VA Supreme Court rules on felons and guns

The laws about felons not being able to vote
    Felons vote in the most states.

State Felon Voting Laws - Felon Voting - ProCon.org

How does losing the right to own a gun help someone 'take responsibility for their actions'?
    I perhaps phrased my answer inelegantly, what I mean is, "If you commit a felony, be prepared to accept or take responsibility (e.g. accept punishment) for that action". Humans are sometimes blessed with rational thought, and should understand that actions have consequences.

To answer it another way, losing the right won't help some "take responsibility for their actions" because they are too darn late. They need to think first......consider the consequences of capture or indictment and understand there are consequences that might include losing their 2A.

What does a felon gain from starting to take responsibility for his actions?
    Maybe I am just not understanding the issue here. I'm tired and grumpy. Feel free to lobby your legislators. My prior answer stands. That a convicted felon starts to take responsibility AFTERWARDS is not the question. It's then too late.

I'm going to stop before I get in trouble. It appears we have too many folks in prisons. It appears our model of rehabilitation does not work. I don't know why on earth we would retro-actively restore 2A to convicted felons. But, if public policy produced a sea-change in the legislators and a change in the law that is a different answer.

Don't do the crime if you can't afford the time.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links