"If it only saves one life"

This is a discussion on "If it only saves one life" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Had discussion earlier today with a semi neighbor - hunter fella - one of those who is at best only really semi pro 2A. Well ...

Thread: "If it only saves one life"

Assistant Administrator

Had discussion earlier today with a semi neighbor - hunter fella - one of those who is at best only really semi pro 2A. Well - as long as his beloved rifle remains unaffected, all is well - for him
    He brought up the subject of the recent PA hearings - which have been about increasing gun control measure.

He loves the word ''assault'' when it comes to rifles, after all, he wouldn't need one of course! Neither would he need more than one gun a month! He doesn't carry either and agrees with Philly (and even Pittsburgh) restricting carry. Oh my - Oh and of course he brought up the Colorado school shooting too!

I tried to remind him of all the laws already on the books - and that good guys (the mega majority) with guns do not create mayhem. Leave that to the bad guys who get guns anytime, anywhere, at will - not to mention carry them when they please. Did seem to make him stop and think, or was I being optimistic!.

What clinched it tho was, when he uttered that pathetic phrase so many anti's love to throw around - ''but, if it saves only one life" - <cringe>. 'Yeah right' says I - and the life saved would be probably a bad guy's - because he gets away with being able to shoot an unarmed good guy!!!!!! That's the way of DC, NYC etc .....

More (even more) gun control will not and never has ''saved one more life'' - these folks just don't get it - all gut emotion and zero logic. Only the legitimate folks get penalized.

(Rant over - for now)
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

logic

You know it ain't funny but I had the same conversation with my Dad about this.He is lifetime NRA,hunter and CCW but took the Antis belief that one gun a month will save lives. His POV well I can only afford one maybe once every 6 months and I have enough already After a long and heated discussion he finaly had to agree and contacted his Rep about gun owners rights and how it effects us all.It just amazes me so many how many gun owners,Hunters etc don't vote FREEDOM FIRST!
    US Paratroopers give the enemy maxnimum opportunity to give his life for his country

I NEVER have, nor will I EVER understand this. If a person believes this, then they are ALSO obligated to believe the flip side of the coin which is...

Arm EVERYBODY...if owning a firearm only saves one life, then it's worth it.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher; if you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

Have your nieghbor talk to a city cop. I work nights in the city and a friend who is a bike cop there at night. He got really worried until he found out I was CCW ing.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by distortion9 View Post

I NEVER have, nor will I EVER understand this. If a person believes this, then they are ALSO obligated to believe the flip side of the coin which is...

Arm EVERYBODY...if owning a firearm only saves one life, then it's worth it.
    Allow me to ammend that --> if owning a firearm only saves one life, especially your own, it's worth it.

VIP Member
    Yes, the flip-side of the coin (if arming everyone saves one life then it's worth it) is very true...but off course the anti's will never see it that way unfortunately.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    ''but, if it saves only one life" they forget to add at the cost of 25 others. Well, if it saves only one life at the cost of even one other is it not worth it. No one has ever been able to demonstrate that the laws have saved even one life, but we are able to demonstrate that their laws have cost people their lives. This again shows the moral bankruptcy of the anti movement.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Assistant Administrator
    This brings out the ''rant'' in us all doesn't it!! Predictably!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    This brings out the ''rant'' in us all doesn't it!! Predictably!
    lol. well, naturally. everybody loves a good rant, especially at something that makes absolutely no sense.

Tell that to all the people on the clayton cramer blog who had their lives saved by the legal use of a firearm!!! sheez!! Why don't we just let them and all future potential victims hanging out in the wind???

My gun is to protect my life and those I love.
    I expect everyone else to have their own gun, therefore I am less likely to put myself in danger to protect them. If they don't have a gun, that't their problem.

VIP Member
    I've never liked that mentality, especially when it comes from another gun owner. A gun owner that falls for the anti's rhetoric because he doesn't own a handgun for self-defense or a "military-style" black rifle is not only hurting himself, but is being laughed at by the antis because he's now a puppet mouthpiece and another person who can help legislate our rights away.

We're all in the same boat because antis don't care about grandpa's over-under shotgun or Joe Bob's hunting rifle. They whittle our guns away bit by bit and then call grandpa's shotgun a street sweeper and Joe Bob's hunting rifle a sniper rifle.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Senior Moderator
    Certainly a justified rant, Chris, I feel the frustration too. If people could just think for themselves and then actually think rationally through the issues....

I guess he doesn't remember the assasination of Kennedy or the sniper on the school in Texas where the shooter's used equivalents of hunting rifles.

And besides, I don't hunt, so why would anybody need such a powerful, long-range, deadly rifle?

I just say....my gun has only got to save one life...MINE.

If they have children I ask them "what would you do if you came home to a robber who had their hands on your child" The answer is almost always "I'd kill them"
    Then I ask...HOW?

Some people will never get it, but some will, so we have to keep trying.

Sometimes through rational discussion, you can change minds. Believe me I have done it, on my college campus of all places, so it can be done.

Don't loose your cool, point out the errors in their logic in a peaceful manner, and maybe they'll get it, maybe not, but Never give up!
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Links