Fire mission for Chesterfield County, VA members

Fire mission for Chesterfield County, VA members

This is a discussion on Fire mission for Chesterfield County, VA members within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; [Re-posted from a VA-ALERT with prior approval of VCDL] [First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and “PVC” reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL] ...

VIP Member

Exclamation Fire mission for Chesterfield County, VA members

[Re-posted from a VA-ALERT with prior approval of VCDL]

[First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and “PVC” reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

Chesterfield County report on park ordinance

Last night the Chesterfield Board of Supervisors had a hearing on fixing a poorly-worded ordinance which confused some Chesterfield police officers into unlawfully kicking a gun owner out of a Chesterfield park. Here is the old wording:

"Sec. 14-11 (B) No person shall transport, possess or carry a loaded firearm within 100 yards of any property line of any county public school or county park, except as otherwise permitted by state law."

The County Attorney recommended this change:

"Sec. 14-11 (B) No HUNTER shall transport, possess or carry a loaded firearm within 100 yards of any property line of any county public school or county park, except as otherwise permitted by state law."

But, what is a "hunter?" If a person merely possess a hunting license, doest that make him a hunter? And what about the exception in state law for a hunter to be able to separately carry a handgun for self-defense?

My suggested wording to the Board of Supervisors was:

"Sec. 14-11 (B) Except for handguns carried for the purpose of self-defense, no person while hunting shall transport, possess or carry a loaded firearm within 100 yards of any property line of any county public school or county park."

But, the question is, why have that ordinance at all? State law already covers reckless endangerment.

I forgot to mention that VCDL would support a full repeal of the ordinance when I first spoke and had to make a second trip to the dais to make that point. :-(

The Board decided they wanted 30 days to study the matter and to vote on it next month. In brief discussions they seemed to be seriously considering pulling the ordinance. I thought it was an excellent idea for them not to rush to a decision, but to study it and see if the ordinance is even needed.

If you live in Chesterfield, send a message to your Board of Supervisors member, supporting the language I proposed for the hunting ordinance ("Sec. 14-11 (B)") , but saying you would much prefer the ordinance be repealed altogether.

Here are the email addresses for the Board members. You can also leave a phone message for them at: 804-748-1200.

Daniel A. Gecker, Midlothian District, geckerd@chesterfield.gov

Dorothy Jaeckle, Bermuda District, jaeckled@chesterfield.gov (I had to make an educated guess on this address, no contact information was provided for her.)

Jim Holland, Dale District, hollandj@chesterfield.gov

Steve A. Elswick, Matoaca District, elswicks@chesterfield.gov

Art Warren, Clover Hill District, warrena@chesterfield.gov

Not sure what district you live in? Here's a link to a map:

http://tinyurl.com/cwszlvn

[Emphasis added my me, DaveH]

VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL).

VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org [http://www.vcdl.org/]
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Final hearing on loaded handguns in parks on Oct 24.

The meeting will be at 3 PM on Thursday, October 24th in the County Public Meeting Room, Chesterfield Administrative Building, 9901 Lori Road. They will NOT be taking public comments at this meeting. However, still time to call or email, if you are a resident.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Supervisors return gun ordinance for further study | www.chesterfieldobserver.com | Chesterfield Observer

Supervisors return gun ordinance for further study

by Michael Buettner
    September 26, 2012

A seemingly routine proposal to update a county firearms ordinance was sent back for more study by the Board of Supervisors last week after it ran into armed opposition.

County Attorney Jeff Mincks explained that a change in state law makes it necessary for the county to amend its ordinance relating to the carrying of firearms near schools and parks.

SNIP
    "
    ran into armed opposition"
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    [Re-posted from a VA-ALERT with prior approval of VCDL]

[First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and PVC reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

This afternoon the Chesterfield County Board of Supervisors voted unanimously to fix a poorly worded ordinance that sounded like no one could carry a loaded handgun within 100 yards of a school or park. The ordinance was supposed to only apply to a person in the act of hunting and even then would not apply to a handgun carried with a CHP for self-defense.

The wording now reads:

"Except for handguns carried lawfully pursuant to Virginia Code section 18.2-308 B 6, no person while hunting shall transport, possess, or carry a loaded firearm within 100 yards of any property line of any county public school or county park ."

Before the vote, the County Attorney advised the Supervisors that if they want to just eliminate the ordinance altogether, they would have to provide public notice first.

I will contact my Supervisor and see if the Board of Supervisors is willing to just strike that ordinance. That would be the best solution. I will advise.

For now, the ordinance has been fixed and we shouldn't have any more gun owners illegally kicked out of Chesterfield Parks. If it weren't so late in the year, I'd be tempted to have a picnic in a Chesterfield park... Perhaps in the spring?
    VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL).

VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org [http://www.vcdl.org/]
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links