WSJ Article: College Campus Carry

This is a discussion on WSJ Article: College Campus Carry within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Many colleges have long been allowed to make their own decisions about whether students can carry firearms on campus, and most still forbid it. But ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By _Hawkeye_

Thread: WSJ Article: College Campus Carry

Post WSJ Article: College Campus Carry

Many colleges have long been allowed to make their own decisions about whether students can carry firearms on campus, and most still forbid it. But gun-rights advocates working through the courts and state legislatures have managed to secure a significant expansion of gun rights at public universities.
    Push to Let College Students Carry Guns Picks Up Steam - WSJ.com

"The courts are not considering the sort of philosophical or policy issues. They're looking at the statutes," said David Kopel, a law professor at University of Denver who filed a legal brief in support of allowing Colorado students with permits to carry guns on campus. He said the success of other legal challenges based on the idea that only state legislatures have the power to regulate guns will depend largely on the wording of the concealed-carry laws, which vary by state.
    An interesting article that pulls from many sources..............

2. Remove Ads

as a college student colleges should change their policy since the current policy is not working. i truly feel unsafe at my school. it is in the middle of downtown. aggressive homeless are always asking you for money. and a homeless clinic is half a mile from campus

You go to U of L Poseidon? I was supposed to go to a conference down there and begged out, due to the campus security issues. I know U of L is certainly not fit for female students.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

This is difficult and I am very split on the idea. As a college student myself. I would support it during the day. But at night there are way to many reckless drunk people around for me to be confident that every one of them left there guns locked up. With that being said dorms are also not exactly the place to hide your valuables (ie. guns). I wouldn't not trust a dorm room to keep guns secure.

However I fully believe that the professors should be allowed to cc. Also armed security in every building would be great as well, roaming or stationary they would just be usefull.

I think you either trust people, citizens with weapons or you do not. I do.
    DaveH likes this.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

VIP Member
    I'm with Hawkeye. Anyone who is legally licensed to carry anywhere should be allowed to carry everywhere. Ohio State University, for example, is a literal hunting ground for muggers, rapists and predators. Everyone knows that guns aren't allowed anywhere on campus, so the bad guys act with impunity.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I fully support concealed carry on campus. In my state, it's kind of a gray area; state law precludes state agencies from prohibiting licensed concealed carry, but the Board of Regents none the less has a policy of no firearms on campuses.

To those who worry about gun battles in the dorm halls, look at the evidence of the dozens of campuses where concealed (even open?) carry is allowed. How many incidents have been in the news? What's that, the sound of crickets chirping?

Consider, in many states the age to get a permit is 21 - so your undergrad, dorm residing student population who might have a permit is quite limited. Young folk tend to be underrepresented in the CCW permit pool, so of those who are of age, there will likely be less than the state average who have permits. On a campus with 10,000 undergrads, maybe 75, probably fewer, have permits. How many of them will actually carry?

As to faculty and staff, most all should be of age. How many of them have permits? At really liberal colleges, probably few faculty. Staff members may be more typical of the state norm. Still a low number, overall.

But, the fact that someone on campus could be carrying in any given location, at any given time, would probably serve to inhibit some BGs from plying their trade. Russian roulette is not a fun game.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    You go to U of L Poseidon?
    yes i do

Links