Apparently in TN you can shoot at someone trying to steal your truck???? - Page 2

Apparently in TN you can shoot at someone trying to steal your truck????

This is a discussion on Apparently in TN you can shoot at someone trying to steal your truck???? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Do not even think about trying to stop a property crime in Wisconsin, Felony or not dose not madder. You can only act if your ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Apparently in TN you can shoot at someone trying to steal your truck????

Do not even think about trying to stop a property crime in Wisconsin, Felony or not dose not madder. You can only act if your life is in danger or in your home and you better have proof.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    There were a LOT fewer horses stolen back when we swiftly hung the folks who...stole 'em. Don't misunderstand, I'm not an advocate of vigilante justice. But I am tired of every criminal caught in the act of committing a felony somehow then being viewed as the victim. IMHO, Play bad games, win bad prizes. God bless Tennessee.
    AMEN- The system is so twisted it's time to turn it around. BGs should NEVER be portrayed as victims during the commission of their crimes no matter what the !@#$@#lawyers make them out to be.

Legal or not, property is recoverable / replaceable. A life is not. Unless my life or anothers was in immediate danger, I would probably let it go and call LEO's.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Even if I can legally shoot to protect property I wont be shooting to protect property unless it's a family heirloom or something like that. (My castle being an exception of course).

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I see a huge problem with somebody firing at anything,completely missing the target and the fact those rounds could kill an innocent victim,even tho I live in Tx where deadly force to prevent theft of property under certain conditions is legal,unloading your gun at a fleeing vehicle in a populated area is probably gonna get you charged
    First, he wasn't just "firing at anything" and I doubt he "unloaded" his gun, especially since the Jury found him justified. Plus, if you're so concerned about stray rounds then perhaps you should start a campaign to disarm the police, since, according to the FBI's own statistics, law enforcement's hit/miss ratio in defensive shootings is much worse than that of the legally armed citizen.

Distinguished Member
    If this happens enough, people who prey upon others will find other means of amusement. Hooray for Tennessee. I don't think I would shoot someone stealing my TV or my lawnmower,my truck-now that is something else. Don't mess with my truck or my dogs

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    If this happens enough, people who prey upon others will find other means of amusement. Hooray for Tennessee.
    Exactly. I wish more states would follow suit. It's about damn time criminals start becoming afraid of committing crimes.

I've read and understand what people mean about not wanting to take a life. Its something most people would rather not do.

But I also understand that there would be a lot less lawlessness if criminals were actually treated as criminals, not as a victimized person. They were doing the victimizing...

Its a sad state of affairs when a criminal can hide behind the law when a person was merely trying to protect something of theirs.

I suppose there's always that part of every scenario where you say... oh yeah? What if it was_____ . We can what if each other to death... but situations like this will always come down to luck for the persons involved.

Luck that their lawyer can get the jury to see thing his way, luck that the perps didn't get shot and killed, or shoot and kill the owner of the truck.

Luck that the perps didn't panic after being shot at and then crash into a car with a persons wife and newborn twins in it...

My point is that there's always the "what if" side of things. And there's going to be as many different views on the "what if" as there are people talking about it.

I'm glad the owner was cleared, I think the perps are lucky they weren't killed, and I'm glad a bullet didn't stray. If I were in the same situation, I'm glad I live in the lone star state... but i'd definitely want to be using my head and aiming true... :)

Not legal in Tn,we are not leo,not empowered to use a firearm except in self defense,fortunately our peers sometimes see it differently.
    Drawback is guy couldnt hit a truck,had he shot someone or something in the background those same people would bury him as well as any who emulate,works both ways.
    Personally 100 hrs community service and 100 hrs on a range with a qualifier thereafter seems fit.If you cant hit a truck pretty bad off.And should know better to do so.
    What if this joker cuts loose inside a crowded store?

Jury nullification anyone?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by jblitz View Post
    Legal or not, property is recoverable / replaceable. A life is not. Unless my life or anothers was in immediate danger, I would probably let it go and call LEO's.

If I'm following the law and protecting my property, who are you to cast judgement? (Answer: No one) If what I'm doing is legal, I can live with it.

A requirement for crime is mens rea, or "criminal mind". If there is no intent, there is no crime. Recklessly: the actor is aware that the attendant circumstances exist, but nevertheless engages in the conduct that a "law-abiding person" would have refrained from. Therefor if it's legal, it's not reckless, therefor there is no crime. Seems like the grand jury did a good job at following the letter of the law.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
    Not legal in Tn...
    Which is why I think there's more to it than we know, but the grand jury heard it all.

...Drawback is guy couldnt hit a truck,had he shot someone or something in the background those same people would bury him as well as any who emulate,works both ways.
    But, if he had truly shot in SD and hit someone in the background, those same people would bury him for that too.

...If you cant hit a truck pretty bad off.And should know better to do so.
    What if this joker cuts loose inside a crowded store?
    Maybe he wasn't trying to hit his truck. Maybe he checked his background and knew it was safe. Maybe the thieves presented a gun themselves.

A grand jury, after hearing all the facts, declared him not guilty. Maybe we should give a little credit to the decision of the jury and the shooter. I see no indication that this is a man that would cut loose inside a crowded store.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by JayTee View Post
    First, he wasn't just "firing at anything" and I doubt he "unloaded" his gun, especially since the Jury found him justified. Plus, if you're so concerned about stray rounds then perhaps you should start a campaign to disarm the police, since, according to the FBI's own statistics, law enforcement's hit/miss ratio in defensive shootings is much worse than that of the legally armed citizen.
    It's amazing how that does not bother anyone!
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

When power is up for grabs; personal liberty is usually one of the first casualties…

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jblitz View Post
    And, if someone is walking off with your life savings and you need that money for medical treatment to stay alive?

I certainly wouldn't count on the next grand jury members voting a "No True Bill" on any similar cases.

And I certainly would not want to be one of the test cases.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links