Apparently in TN you can shoot at someone trying to steal your truck????

This is a discussion on Apparently in TN you can shoot at someone trying to steal your truck???? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I heard this on the news this morning and there aren't many details, but here's how it went. At the Brainerd Walmart, a guy discovered ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Apparently in TN you can shoot at someone trying to steal your truck????

Senior Moderator

Apparently in TN you can shoot at someone trying to steal your truck????

I heard this on the news this morning and there aren't many details, but here's how it went.

At the Brainerd Walmart, a guy discovered some guys stealing his truck, I 'think' they said 'as they drove away' he pulled his gun and shot at them.

The case went to a grand jury and they found that he was not guilty of felony reckless endangerment, although he didn't hit the thieves, anyone or anything else. Although I don't see how he 'didn't hit anything'.

That's all I know right now, but I would have never believed one could shoot in protection of property - in Texas maybe, but not in TN. It may be that he claimed they were trying to run over him, but that's just speculation, so I'll have to see what I can find out.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Amazing the random stuff people get get off for. Back near my home town in upstate NY a man who shot someone stealing some things like 3 houses down was cleared for it. I never would've thought that could happen in a million years. Hopefully you'll find some more details on this one, it is interesting.

Senior Moderator
    I emailed the news man that reported the incident, and here's what he said:

"We did have Police Chief Bobby Dodd on the air with us and he says it seemed very clear...cut-and-dried, so to speak: felony reckless endangerment. That's definitely the way he saw it and police at the scene saw it. Chief says he was stunned when he heard the "No True Bill" returned by the grand jury."

Pretty fast response I must say. This makes it even more interesting. The news guy also said that's all they had at the moment, and is hopeful that someone will interview a grand jury member to see what really happened.

IIRC, this is a first for TN.

I see no problem here. I'm in favor of any laws that make things more dangerous for a criminal. Including the right to get shot if you try to steal my truck.
    The Old Anglo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JayTee View Post
    I see no problem here. I'm in favor of any laws that make things more dangerous for a criminal. Including the right to get shot if you try to steal my truck.
    I see a huge problem with somebody firing at anything,completely missing the target and the fact those rounds could kill an innocent victim,even tho I live in Tx where deadly force to prevent theft of property under certain conditions is legal,unloading your gun at a fleeing vehicle in a populated area is probably gonna get you charged
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I would bet that you are in favor of warning shots, shooting people in the back, and killing cats for fun....COME ON MAN.....

OD*
    Hmm, those bullets had to go somewhere?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Evidently the good folks on the Grand Jury thought it was justified, so it's a moot point. Maybe they're tired of seeing crime victims as crimnals.
    CIBMike and Erick46590 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    The report did not specify how many shots were fired. It could very well be that only one shot was fired, and the shooter may have checked his background before shooting.

It may be the truck owner tried to stop them and the thieves presented a gun and the owner then shot at them in fear of his life. For some reason, a grand jury returned a 'no true bill' to a felony reckless endangerment charge.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I see a problem with that. There is a reason certain laws are in place, and despite what we may think most laws are pretty sensible. Taking a life is the last thing I ever want to do, ever, and IMO some things just aren't worth that on my conscious. That isn't to say I wouldn't hesitate to defend my life or home, but killing some punk over a vehicle isn't high on my to do list, I'd let the cops do their job.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    Amazing the random stuff people get get off for. Back near my home town in upstate NY a man who shot someone stealing some things like 3 houses down was cleared for it. I never would've thought that could happen in a million years. Hopefully you'll find some more details on this one, it is interesting.
    Here in GA you are authorized to use deadly force to stop a forcible felony - any felony where force or threat of force is used. This could include killing a man that you see breaking into your neighbor's home in certain instances.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Legal in SC but only after dark.

What if you're wearing sunglasses?
    Poseidon likes this.

There were a LOT fewer horses stolen back when we swiftly hung the folks who...stole 'em. Don't misunderstand, I'm not an advocate of vigilante justice. But I am tired of every criminal caught in the act of committing a felony somehow then being viewed as the victim. IMHO, Play bad games, win bad prizes. God bless Tennessee.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    What if you're wearing sunglasses?
    Still Ok as long as you are wearing them at night.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links