Gun Control Advocates Can Seem Reasonable - Page 2

Gun Control Advocates Can Seem Reasonable

This is a discussion on Gun Control Advocates Can Seem Reasonable within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SFury As the old saying goes, if you give an inch, they will try to take a mile. It's better to not ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Gun Control Advocates Can Seem Reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    As the old saying goes, if you give an inch, they will try to take a mile. It's better to not give an inch at all.
    I don't disagree, really, but that is the mentality in politics overall, which leads to the gridlock we have now.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I don't disagree, really, but that is the mentality in politics overall, which leads to the gridlock we have now.
    I'm thinking gridlock results when folks want to give an inch, and take a mile.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm thinking gridlock results when folks want to give an inch, and take a mile.
    Nope.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

VIP Member
    Nope.
    You are right, in this particular case. Those who would take gun rights away by the mile will never offer up an inch in return.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

You are right, in this particular case. Those who would take gun rights away by the mile will never offer up an inch in return.
    In fairness, would you? Or would I? Nope... BAM! Gridlock.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

VIP Member
    Of course I would. I would gladly give my 100-round drums if I were allowed to carry nationwide.
    Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizjimbo View Post
    It is a bit like matter...2 diametrically opposed ideas cannot occupy the same space. Whichever idea has the greater strength and purpose will take the space. The NRA is good but the ballot box is better.
    Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    As the old saying goes, if you give an inch, they will try to take a mile. It's better to not give an inch at all.
    There's no exit from gun control or clear and reasonable end to it. It's the tool of ignominious dictators and failed jurisdictions. On the other hand, places that enjoy gun freedoms don't have the problems that gun control advocates tout as the reason for gun control. There's nothing reasonable about that. I don't even share basic principles with gun control advocates.
    They probably want to insert their nanny selves into the business of others more than anything like being reasonable. If gun control proved to enhance safety, then there would be some basis for discussion and compromise. But, not only did the founders get it right with 2A, that natural right to self defense "shall not be infringed", also, empirical evidence proves that responsible gun freedom, not gun control, reduces crime.
    My mind and the society in which I would choose to live work on facts. I'm not surrendering any of that. It is our duty as free citizens to support gun freedom, consistently. Ayn Rand says, "There can be no compromise on matters of knowledge, of truth, of rational conviction."
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member
    Of course I would. I would gladly give my 100-round drums if I were allowed to carry nationwide.
    Not I.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Not I.
    OK, you got me on that one. I wasn't really offering to give up anything, since I don't use 100-round drums.
    Ayn Rand

This is the kind of thing 2A supporters should be wary of.
    What the gun control movement can learn from gay rights | Capital New York
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

The tell:
    "After all, banning high-capacity gun magazines doesn’t threaten the right to bear arms."
    Until the situation where a person requires more rounds.

Better to have it but not need it, than to need it but get shot dead due to having run out of ammo or been legally forced to do a mag change as a result of such limits (on capacity, removable aspect (mags), or whatever).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    OK, you got me on that one. I wasn't really offering to give up anything, since I don't use 100-round drums
    You know Mike, you usaully post some pretty good stuff, but this aint one of them.
    Its exactly what gun control is, and how it starts.

Deer hunters that are restricted to using lever actions or pumps in some state giving up the right to own AR-15's or AK's because they dont use them.
    Liberals thinking that there is no valid use for 100 round drums, 50 round drums,20 round drums, 15 round magazines because they dont use them.
    Politicians that have bodygards protecting them thinking that no one needs guns because they dont use them.
    Its a vicious cycle that never seems to end.
    I've had conversations with people that were convinced that no one needed a gun for any reason...because they never needed one.

Gridlock dosent come from not giving up an inch. It comes from lack of leadership. It comes from apathy and the inability to reason. It comes from politicians that forget that their job is to do what is best for the country, not the party that they worship and adhere to.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    This is the kind of thing 2A supporters should be wary of.
    What the gun control movement can learn from gay rights | Capital New York
    Opponents of same sex marriage have no real arguments that stood up to any logical tests or negative data to stand on. They hurt no one.

Both sides of the gun argument have 'real data' to argue their points.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Join one of the anti-gun groups sit in on the meetings the talk about how to appear not to be anti-gun. To pick out the most extreme cases they CAN.
    Like we can all agree that no one should be carrying a machine gun around. And "while I don't want guns band it would be Reasonable to restricting carry a AK47 in to a school ...right." They spend a lot of time at .
    I was part of our Unions anti gun anti CC in Wisconsin . It was a real education on how they work.
    I got kicked out some one outed me as a gun owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Opponents of same sex marriage have no real arguments that stood up to any logical tests or negative data to stand on. They hurt no one.

Both sides of the gun argument have 'real data' to argue their points.
    Some same sex battles have been won because the minority wore the majority down with the help of the media. Victory doesn't seem to be the likely outcome as long as the majority overturns the "victories" of the few. 32 out of 32 times so far. That is another on-going battle that seems ludicrous to me. That's a discussion for another place and time though.

The wear down through excessive trying strategy is a time honored one though. Little kids use it all the time with their parents/caregivers.

In general the populace, despite the bogus CNN poll, actually support the 2A right now. Which is why "gun safety" or "common sense" measures are being sought by anti-gun poeple. It's the old end around play. We just need to keep saying no.
    tokerblue and wmhawth like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links