Gun Control Advocates Can Seem Reasonable

This is a discussion on Gun Control Advocates Can Seem Reasonable within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The problem is that although gun ownership is at an all time high, more concealed handgun permits have been issued and second amendment support seems ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 49
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Gun Control Advocates Can Seem Reasonable

  1. #31
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,872
    The problem is that although gun ownership is at an all time high, more concealed handgun permits have been issued and second amendment support seems to be the thing...

    none of this applies in Chicago, where the leadership has to resort to "twitter" for suggestions. Those fools dont have a clue.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.


    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #32
    VIP Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,724
    Yep .... in no time , we could just carry single shot guns .... and not be allowed to carry an extra ammunition.
    DaveH likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

  4. #33
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,386
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You know Mike, you usaully post some pretty good stuff, but this aint one of them.
    Its exactly what gun control is, and how it starts.

    Deer hunters that are restricted to using lever actions or pumps in some state giving up the right to own AR-15's or AK's because they dont use them.
    Liberals thinking that there is no valid use for 100 round drums, 50 round drums,20 round drums, 15 round magazines because they dont use them.
    Politicians that have bodygards protecting them thinking that no one needs guns because they dont use them.
    Its a vicious cycle that never seems to end.
    I've had conversations with people that were convinced that no one needed a gun for any reason...because they never needed one.


    Gridlock dosent come from not giving up an inch. It comes from lack of leadership. It comes from apathy and the inability to reason. It comes from politicians that forget that their job is to do what is best for the country, not the party that they worship and adhere to.
    Sorry the indicator on my sarcasm switch didn't light up on my previous post, since I agree with nearly every point you made. Here in Ohio, we are limited to three-round shotties and handguns not under .357 with at least 5" barrels during gun deer season, and one-shot muzzle-loaders during that particular segment of the season. We are allowed to CC while hunting, but cannot use them for finishers unless they meet the pistol requirement for hunting. We cannot pursue injured animals onto adjacent property without permission of the landowner. Two years ago, I hit one which ran off my property, but could not pursue because I was unlicensed. I had to call the landowner for permission, leave my long gun on my property, and go with my licensed companion who finished and tagged it. Otherwise, it would have crawled off and died unclaimed as many of them do. The herd in Ohio is at a historical high, yet the draconian laws remain essentially unchanged from the time the herds were near extinction.
    Your point on gridlock is well-made, too. We haven't had effective, arm-twisting, deal-making leadership in the oval office since, well, I don't want to get too political.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

  5. #34
    Senior Member Array SFury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    757
    Man, and I thought some of the firearms restrictions we have on hunting were bad enough. We only have a minimum barrel length, and a minimum caliber. Most handguns used for CC purposes are illegal to use for hunting. Even to use to make a kill shot with on a wounded animal. The barrel length is too short.

    The other restriction we have is the shotgun only zones. Basically right around cities. With Wisconsin's record on hunting safety, these zones seem stupid to me. We have more than proven we are some of the safest shooters in the nation. The military has a far higher incident of firearms related accidents.

    The military might be able to learn something from the practices we have. Which is something I've also gathered from others comments who have been in the military here, and from those I know who have served personally in recent times. Basically, they could use the Eddie Eagle program to educate the new shooters.

  6. #35
    Senior Member Array dV8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    811
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    "After all, banning high-capacity gun magazines doesn’t threaten the right to bear arms."
    Yes it does, when one looks at what the right really means. This right as stated by our fore fathers is the right for average citizens to own and use the same armament as is used by the day's standing military.
    This would mean even automatic and belt fed guns along with high capacity magazines and large bore guns, if not this, how would it accomplish it's purpose of keeping our politicians in line and prevent them from taking all of our rights?
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

  7. #36
    VIP Member
    Array oneshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    +42.893612,-082.710236 , Mi.
    Posts
    8,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    See now you're just losing us. Are there dilithiumn crystals in this scenario?

    ^Yeah, No doubt^^^^^^^^

    Quote Originally Posted by lizjimbo View Post
    It is a bit like matter...2 diametrically opposed ideas cannot occupy the same space. Whichever idea has the greater strength and purpose will take the space. The NRA is good but the ballot box is better.

    ^^^IDK^^^^^^^^

    Would that be like trying to figure out what happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object??



    I say we start a movement that begins to erode away the speed and luxury of the modern automobile.
    Let them keep the safety improvements and such, but all creature comforts, speed and dependability must revert back to the
    1930's. Because in reality, they got there just fine, and everyone was safe for the most part going just 40 MPH right?

    Anti gun people are desparate people, with no substantiated facts or reason on their side, so they must resort to emotional heartstrings, attatched to uninformed people.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

    Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

  8. #37
    Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    821
    Hey, I'm all in favor of reasonable gun control.

    We'd have to repeal about 99.9999% of the gun laws to get there, though. The gun grabbers just will not compromise so we can work on it.
    Pistology likes this.

  9. #38
    VIP Member
    Array DaveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Posts
    5,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    Hey, I'm all in favor of reasonable gun control.

    We'd have to repeal about 99.9999% of the gun laws to get there, though. The gun grabbers just will not compromise so we can work on it.
    As long as we are now talking about good gun control I prefer a modified Weaver stance, plus good fitting grip , breath control, hold control, trigger control and follow through.

    As always YMMV.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

    I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

    I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

    Veni, Vidi, Velcro

  10. #39
    Member Array linuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    The other restriction we have is the shotgun only zones. Basically right around cities. With Wisconsin's record on hunting safety, these zones seem stupid to me. We have more than proven we are some of the safest shooters in the nation.
    Don't worry, the antis- will be able to spin that in their propoganda by saying it's safe BECAUSE of those zones being implemented.

  11. #40
    Member Array romansten9's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    +1. (I'm glad you added the parenthetical explanation, or else your analogy wouldn't have made a lick of sense to me.)
    I thought his analogy made great sense, even without the explanation! (unless, of course you were being sarcastic) <----see, I explained myself inside of parenthesis too!

  12. #41
    Member Array romansten9's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    This is the kind of thing 2A supporters should be wary of.
    What the gun control movement can learn from gay rights | Capital New York
    I really like the quote about "two wolves and a lamb" but most people agree that there isn't much proof that Ben Franklin said that. Just wanted to let you know. It would be cool if he did say that, because I really like founding father quotes.

  13. #42
    Ex Member Array PIMking's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Gun Control starts not with wide sweeping legislation or law, but by encroaching inch by inch, piece by piece, not so much that one might take notice, but it does it in a way that creeps up on you, and then one day you wake up and realize that the rights and freedoms that you had are no longer.

    By the time the average person realizes it, its too late, the right is lost.

    .
    This is my point about OC, it's legal to do it and if we allow people to shun it and demonize it then OC will be illegal.

  14. #43
    Ex Member Array PIMking's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    226
    Preaching gun control is like preaching abstinence in school, it works in theory but in reality it's the dumbest idea. It would be better to teach safe sex and safe gun practice than thinking that banning it will stop it happening.
    Mike1956 and ccw9mm like this.

  15. #44
    VIP Member
    Array Pistology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    South Coast LA Cty
    Posts
    2,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    Hey, I'm all in favor of reasonable gun control.

    We'd have to repeal about 99.9999% of the gun laws to get there, though. The gun grabbers just will not compromise so we can work on it.
    ^^ This is reasonable. Compromise isn't working out for me here in LA County. There's no compromising the facts or my natural rights or surrendering them to some nanny who "knows better". We have our work cut out including appointing justices to the Supreme Court and leading our leaders to repeal as they keep relaxing the onerous infringements on the books on what and where the law allows to carry and to restore more of our natural right to self defense - a good reason to carry.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

  16. #45
    OD*
    OD* is online now
    Moderator
    Array OD*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Coopersville
    Posts
    11,009
    They are constantly asking gun owners to be reasonable, to compromise, but they NEVER give anything up. What do they compromise, allowing us to keep weapons, which is already a guaranteed right?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

    "Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

    "There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

are high capacity magazines illegal in ohio
,

are there any legitimate restrictions on gun ownership

,
gun control
,
gun control advocates organizations north carolina
,
organizations advocating reasonable gun control
Click on a term to search for related topics.