Gun Control Advocates Can Seem Reasonable

This is a discussion on Gun Control Advocates Can Seem Reasonable within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally printed in the Denver Post. http://www.marionstar.com/article/20...nclick_check=1 The tell: "After all, banning high-capacity gun magazines doesn’t threaten the right to bear arms."...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Gun Control Advocates Can Seem Reasonable

VIP Member

Originally printed in the Denver Post.
    http://www.marionstar.com/article/20...nclick_check=1
    The tell:
    "After all, banning high-capacity gun magazines doesn’t threaten the right to bear arms."
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    Just look at the title:

Gun control need not be all or nothing
    Since a all out ban is not going to happen, instead lets just chip away until we have what we want.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Gun Control starts not with wide sweeping legislation or law, but by encroaching inch by inch, piece by piece, not so much that one might take notice, but it does it in a way that creeps up on you, and then one day you wake up and realize that the rights and freedoms that you had are no longer.

By the time the average person realizes it, its too late, the right is lost.

First, its the evil "high capacity" magazine that gets banned because no one really "needs" it. So we go from 14, to 10, to 6 and then guess what? Eventually they all go away. Ot the evil "assault" weapon that no one needs except for the police or the military, no sane person would otherwise want one. Not long after that, its any semi automatic weapon,because people that have never hunted know that only lever actions or pumps or all that you need.

At some point in time, gun ownership will be reduced to single shot guns and double barrelled shotguns because anything else is an unfair advantage to the game. When a mass murder takes place with a shotgun because that about all thats left, then they too will be banned. Then the rulers in power will declare that personal defense is not a reason to own a gun and the act of self defense with any weapons will be made illegal, and we'll see people that harm burgulars in their own homes in the wee hours of the morning do jail time for having the audacity to defend themselves.

Sound far fetched? Cant happen here?

It can happen anywhere.

One only has to look at Great Britian for a look into the future.
    Mike1956, OD*, Brad426 and 12 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

It is called incrementalism...just like the guy on the highway trying to nudge you out of your lane bit by bit. You either honk your horn to get their attention or eventually you surrender the lane (firearm rights).
    Brad426, DaveH and Gforty like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lizjimbo View Post
    It is called incrementalism...just like the guy on the highway trying to nudge you out of your lane bit by bit. You either honk your horn to get their attention or eventually you surrender the lane (firearm rights).
    +1. (I'm glad you added the parenthetical explanation, or else your analogy wouldn't have made a lick of sense to me.)
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

VIP Member
    It can happen anywhere, and already has in many nations of the world.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

It is a bit like matter...2 diametrically opposed ideas cannot occupy the same space. Whichever idea has the greater strength and purpose will take the space. The NRA is good but the ballot box is better.

It is a bit like matter...2 diametrically opposed ideas cannot occupy the same space. Whichever idea has the greater strength and purpose will take the space. The NRA is good but the ballot box is better.
    See now you're just losing us. Are there dilithiumn crystals in this scenario?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

VIP Member
    Gun control is an addiction, just a little bit is never enough.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I like the NRA more, tbh. A politician's scope is much broader than their opinion on firearms. I mean, yeah, if the politicians are obviously different on this issue, but similar on others, then the ballot box matters ... but I find the courts and lobbying are fundamentally more effective.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

VIP Member
    Yup!

IMHO, The RKBA is like NATO -- an attack on one is an attack on all.

In the lobbying work, I am continually disappointed by those who claim to support the RKBA, yet say "Why would one "need" an "x"? I support and [fill in the blank with "hunt", "shoot clays", "shoot paper", "own a gun", "my husband owns a gun", etc] but I don't need..."

Some are intentionally controllers using sophistry as a means of deception.

Others are just out of touch and self-centered, IMHO.

There is an old saying, "Some make things happen. Some watch things happen. Others haven't got a clue what's happening." IMHO, if one believes in the RKBA one need to be in the some-make-things-happen group. Otherwise... too late!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Originally printed in the Denver Post.
    http://www.marionstar.com/article/20...nclick_check=1
    The tell:
    "After all, banning high-capacity gun magazines doesn’t threaten the right to bear arms."
    Wonder how the editor would react if the government limited something like the number of words in an essay, or the content? That wouldn't threaten free speech.

The problem with the term "reasonable" is, who gets to decide what is reasonable?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Wonder how the editor would react if the government limited something like the number of words in an essay, or the content? That wouldn't threaten free speech.

The problem with the term "reasonable" is, who gets to decide what is reasonable?
    I vote for me.
    Paymeister likes this.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

I liked Mr Triplett's comments!

As the old saying goes, if you give an inch, they will try to take a mile. It's better to not give an inch at all.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links