NRA endorses Romney

This is a discussion on NRA endorses Romney within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by HotGuns That is correct. Romney, being just a citizen, could not have signed onto a Federal law even if he wanted to. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: NRA endorses Romney

NMB
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    That is correct. Romney, being just a citizen, could not have signed onto a Federal law even if he wanted to. No news there..

That National Parks Carry law was passed by the Bush Administration. Obama held it up for over a year, for "administrative oversight" because they wanted to make sure that it didn't have any "flaws" in the way that it was passed. After the required time period was up, he had no choice but to sign it. So... its not like he did something great there. On the contrary, he pitched a fit and moaned about it for the full year.

Get your facts straight man.
    Just being a citizen? He was the Governor of Mass., he personally signed and supported anti-2a laws while in office......Like it or not, Obama has the better record on gun control.

I dont like either one of them, but my facts are solid.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    That is correct. Romney, being just a citizen, could not have signed onto a Federal law even if he wanted to. No news there..
    [B]
    That National Parks Carry law was passed by the Bush Administration.[/B
    Get your facts straight man.
    Really?

"On May 22, 2009, President Barack Obama signed H.R. 627, the "Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act of 2009," into law. The bill contained an amendment introduced by Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK) that prohibits the Secretary of the Interior from enacting or enforcing any regulations that restrict possession of firearms in National Parks"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conceal...nal_park_carry

Laws have to be signed by a President within a fairly brief time frame, I think before 10 days have expired after the law is
    sent by Congress to the President's desk. Otherwise, the law is effectively vetoed. It is called a "pocket veto" because the Prez keeps the law unsigned in his pocket -so to speak-- till the clock runs. In other words, O signed the law.
    NMB likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    On Nov. 6, vote for the best loser.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    It isn't just guns with Romney. He reinvented himself in about 2006. He was a liberal Republican prior to that point. Of course, he was in MA, and that's the only way a Republican is going to get elected. After George Allen lost his reelection bid in VA an opening was created. Prior to that Allen was the presumptive front runner for the "right wing" of the GOP in the 2008 primary. Everyone thought it would be Allen and McCain fighting one another. With Allen losing a spot was open and Romney dropped the liberalism and turned hard right. He's a a politician and will do what he believes he needs to do in order to get elected.

I have a feeling the true Romney is somewhere in the middle of the two people we've seen. I do know he couldn't be any worse for the Second Amendment than Obama, who has made it clear he was waiting until reelection wasn't a concern to truly attack gun rights. But this is one of those times where being a single issue voter would be a bad thing. Since I'm voting on where candidates fit on many issues and not one in particular, Romney is clearly the right choice for me. His foreign policy ideas and economic plans are where they need to be. In reality those two will keep him busy enough to make gun rights a distant thought in a Romney administration.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Neither candidate can be trusted with the 2nd amendment.

If an AWB bill came across the president's desk, whether it was Obama or Romney, it would get signed.

They'll say whatever it takes to get elected, afterward all bets are off.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Administrator
    OK Post Delete #1 & Counting.....Please Stay On Topic. 2nd Amendment - NRA endorsement - Firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Why would NRA endorse him? "He backed two gun-control measures that were strongly opposed by the National Rifle Association: the Brady Law, which imposed a five-day waiting period on gun sales, and a ban on certain assault weapons, saying, "I think they will help."
    Hoppy, you may wish to watch the attached video by the National Rifle Association (NRA) President David Keene as he discusses and outlines the MA issue(s) that the then Gov. Romney was dealing with prior to regurgitating Bovine DoDo!

Thanking Barack Obama for a successful stimulus | Video | TheBlaze.com

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Thread like this are a waste. You can not post what Obama has flat out said all his life( HIS quotes) about the subject without being edit or deleted so what is the use of it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Thread like this are a waste. You can not post what Obama has flat out said all his life( HIS quotes) about the subject without being edit or deleted so what is the use of it.
    I'm trying to come up with examples of where either candidate has done anything positive regarding my Second Amendment rights, and am coming up blank.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    Hoppy, you may wish to watch the attached video by the National Rifle Association (NRA) President David Keene as he discusses and outlines the MA issue(s) that the then Gov. Romney was dealing with prior to regurgitating Bovine DoDo!

Sorry, had to stop listening when at 1:20 he is talking about the ..... Just kidding...listened to the rest and was not impressed. I would rather the NRA just say that Romney is possibly better.

Honestly, the only thing that is beneficial to having Romney president is that he most likely will try to appoint SCOTUS judges who will be more in line with what gun owners think when it comes to the 2A. But tha is a crap shoot as we have all seen over the decades with critical votes being decided by an appointee that went "the other way".
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    I've got the same feeling! Maybe California will pass a law to deal with Moderator Bullying like they did to do way with the 2nd Amendment!

Buck Up things could be worse!

My apologies to the moderator(s) for my earlier attempt to make a point with comparative sarcasm. IMHO, with regards to the 2nd Amendment, both candidates (deep in their respective hearts) believe in gun control. Both candidates are serving "Kool Aid" to the electorate to try & make us believe otherwise. No matter which one we collectively pick...it's still Kool Aid.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post

What does that link have to do with anything? Don't bother answering. "The stimulus" and gun owner rights are different
    issues with no logical connection whatsoever.

So, a few weeks back I was chatting with a fellow who has been a professional big game hunter, who still lives on mostly deer meat obtained the old fashioned way, using a bolt action rifle, and who uses a wood burning stove for a significant portion of the
    New England heating season.

This old gent has a CHL, has been a life long NRA member (is in his 70s now). As one might surmise from the above comment has hunted everything from deer to bear to leopard; on several continents.

The conversation turned to something the NRA sent him about "death taxes." Well, not only are such matters
    quite unrelated to guns, they scared the heck out of him because he mistakenly thought (based on the communication
    from the NRA) that his rather modest estate would be taxed on his death. He was quite relieved when I was able to
    explain to him that estate taxes won't touch him, or me, and he had nothing to fear from "death taxes."

IMO NRA's advocacy for gun owners could be significantly enhanced if they stayed the heck out of partisan politics and
    and non-gun related policy matters. I think they really don't comprehend that they are shooting
    their credibility and effectiveness as advocates for gun owners in the foot with these tactics.

No endorsement should have been made by them.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Sorry, had to stop listening when at 1:20 he flat is talking about the ATT.
    That is like posting only a half of a quote! We must suffer through the next 31 days until the world ends, the Mayans did say it was November 6th right?

In my case my minds made up so don't try to confuse me with the facts, I'm just waiting for the time I can shoot up all my stocked piled ammo in a target rich environment!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links