Chicago Considers "Violence Tax" on Guns and Ammo!

This is a discussion on Chicago Considers "Violence Tax" on Guns and Ammo! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wouldn't give you a plugged nickel for that scheme....

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Chicago Considers "Violence Tax" on Guns and Ammo!

VIP Member
    I wouldn't give you a plugged nickel for that scheme.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

It will not have any effect on the violence in Chicago. None, nada, zip.
    sdprof likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    It will not have any effect on the violence in Chicago. None, nada, zip.
    It may have an effect on crime but not the way they want. With more good people's 2nd amendment rights further restricted there will be more unarmed victims and the ones that are armed will practice less.
    hammer2213 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

SO dumb.

From the article: "Through last week, the city reported 409 homicides this year compared to 324 during the same period in 2011"

Ok you heard them. There are the numbers. Let's see how much better it is if and when it's passed. Wait, that tax wasn't in effect during that period in 2011? I wonder if something else needs to be changed.

And the quote from Dave Workman in the article is something that these "officials" will never comprehend.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member
    I find it ironic that, even if the statement was true (only based on a study of 155 or so guns) that this "lawmaker" would state as a defense - ALMOST A THIRD of guns recovered were purchased legally (by the bad guy??? the study couldn't tell them that from what I've seen) and then her math seems a little screwy because that would mean OVER TWO THIRDS of those guns were acquired illegally.

Nothing like clueless people to remain clueless and grasp at the air trying to find a fix for a problem that they've created and can't admit it.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    It's Chicago, what do you expect. If they get it passed, I'm sure King Bloomy will try to get it passed in NYC as well.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

And what would you bet that if the tax is enacted, and money collected, that only a small portion would actually be used for the stated purpose?
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

So dumb. I wonder how many gang bangers don't have access to some mode of transportation to buy in next county over.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Two things are certain in life; death and taxes. Nowhere better to see than in Chicago.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

All this could be fixed by making concealed carry legal. Justifiable homicides would go up as well as the gang banger body count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

I live outside Cook County so I am near the insanity. My guess is the gang bangers don't ever buy ammunition. You need a FOID card for that an I would bet my house they don't bother getting one. They steal ammo like they steal everything else. Apparently Toni Preckwinkle, the Cook County board president who proposed this tax thinks there are no places outside of Cook County that sell ammunition. They also want to tax the purchase of a gun at $25 on top of an egregiously high sales tax. political posturing intended to infringe on the second amendment, nothing more.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Next thing you know they will be taxing "hip waders" since boots will be ineffective as the stuff in Chicago continues to rise.Just another BS reason to tax something
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

All of this just makes the right to vote all the more important. These nuts can only do this if the populace allows them to stay in office. Get every intelligent person you know and be sure they vote this November and stop this insanity everywhere!
    bandrich likes this.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

This isn't about what they're taxing and I don't believe this stupid woman thinks it will reduce gun violence or any violence. She knows people will leave the county to buy stuff for less money. I believe it's about squeezing the the gun stores in her county to run them out of business.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links