Chicago Considers "Violence Tax" on Guns and Ammo! - Page 6

Chicago Considers "Violence Tax" on Guns and Ammo!

This is a discussion on Chicago Considers "Violence Tax" on Guns and Ammo! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Since gangs are the problem why not pass a $20 per head tax on the gangs. Or a tax on "hoodies" since it seems they ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Chicago Considers "Violence Tax" on Guns and Ammo!

Since gangs are the problem why not pass a $20 per head tax on the gangs. Or a tax on "hoodies" since it seems they all wear them.. These schemes will work about as well as a tax on ammo!!
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd taken better care of myself when I was younger

Geez, people. Read the article. And read Post # 2. This is a wacky idea from one crazy old lady. All the obvious reasons as to why this won't work won't be lost on the other aldermen either. But unless you made the horrible mistake of living in Chicago it doesn't matter anyway.

Lead Moderator
    Dupe topic, merged threads.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbglock View Post
    Geez, people. Read the article. And read Post # 2. This is a wacky idea from one crazy old lady. All the obvious reasons as to why this won't work won't be lost on the other aldermen either. But unless you made the horrible mistake of living in Chicago it doesn't matter anyway.
    The person proposing the tax probably did not think it up. What I've observed is that some kook gets an idea and starts pestering a politician to implement it. The politician, oh so very soberly, agrees it's a good idea, and proposes it at the next meeting (getting the kook off the politician's neck). The other politicians /usually/ recognize what is going on and oh so soberly agree that it is a good idea, and very quietly shuffle it off into the garbage can "by accident". Once in a while, though, the idea gets voted on and passed, and we end up with another stupid idea becoming law.

(These kooks can be a major pain for any politician. They are not harmless, they are willing to lie, to physically harm themselves to have something to blame the politician for, they can whip up an opposition group to disrupt re-election campaigns, endless trouble.)

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    The person proposing the tax probably did not think it up. What I've observed is that some kook gets an idea and starts pestering a politician to implement it. The politician, oh so very soberly, agrees it's a good idea, and proposes it at the next meeting (getting the kook off the politician's neck). The other politicians /usually/ recognize what is going on and oh so soberly agree that it is a good idea, and very quietly shuffle it off into the garbage can "by accident". Once in a while, though, the idea gets voted on and passed, and we end up with another stupid idea becoming law.

(These kooks can be a major pain for any politician. They are not harmless, they are willing to lie, to physically harm themselves to have something to blame the politician for, they can whip up an opposition group to disrupt re-election campaigns, endless trouble.)
    Some NY politician wanted ammo purchases capped at like...500 rounds a month. He said "Why would anyone ever need more than that?" and was basically saying only criminals would.

Uh...he forgot to realize .22lr rounds can come in cans of thousands!

Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    Some NY politician wanted ammo purchases capped at like...500 rounds a month. He said "Why would anyone ever need more than that?" and was basically saying only criminals would.

Uh...he forgot to realize .22lr rounds can come in cans of thousands!
    That was probably his idea.

Sometimes the kooks get elected.

I expect a single box of 50 cartridges would provide the typical criminal with several years' worth of ammo, but, then again, I've owned guns for over 40 years and fired tens of thousands of rounds, easily. I also grew up with and around criminals. The politician is a fool.

A $100 dollar per cartridge tax would open a whole new market for drug dealers: They'd just sell ammo along with the drugs.
    CaveJohnson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    That was probably his idea.

Sometimes the kooks get elected.

I expect a single box of 50 cartridges would provide the typical criminal with several years' worth of ammo, but, then again, I've owned guns for over 40 years and fired tens of thousands of rounds, easily. I also grew up with and around criminals. The politician is a fool.

A $100 dollar per cartridge tax would open a whole new market for drug dealers: They'd just sell ammo along with the drugs.
    Sadly, Americans haven't yet learned that banning things doesn't work. It just creates a black market for whatever is banned and causes crime to surround it.

Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    Sadly, Americans haven't yet learned that banning things doesn't work. It just creates a black market for whatever is banned and causes crime to surround it.
    Slowly catching on.

Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    If they could just get the thugs to pay sales tax on guns and ammuntion that would help their budget but G-dawg doesn't collect tax in the alley. Instead lets tax the law-abiding citizens who already subjected themselves to the unfair taxes of paying just for the card that allows them to purchase their 2nd amendment right wquipment. That town needs an enema!
    It should be imposed like a users fee. If you commit violence with a weapon you pay a tax. If you don't then no tax.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    It should be imposed like a users fee. If you commit violence with a weapon you pay a tax. If you don't then no tax.

Michael
    Considering Chicago? That is probably the best idea yet. Fines instead of jail time, and sell the debt to the mob. It /will/ be collected.

THIS is already how it's done, of course: get caught committing a crime, go to jail. Apparently, the political hacks don't believe the enforcement of this is sufficient deterrent. Well no, but it could be if only the citizens were unshackled and allowed to lawfully defend themselves. Then criminals would begin paying the much-needed "tax" they so richly deserve to pay. Only then.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: Chicago Considers "Violence Tax" on Guns and Ammo!

Just saw on the news that she backed down on the ammo tax after the outcry. Still pushing the $25/ea gun tax though.

VIP Member
    They are not trying to stop violence. They are trying to figure out how to get around the right to bear arms.
    One only need look at tobacco taxes to see the effectiveness of a heavy tax burden. None of the stop smoking campaigns were effective in controlling tobacco use. When those fighting tobacco changed their tactics and decided to use extreme and burdensome taxes they finally got the results they were looking for.
    The idea of the gun tax has nothing to do with health care costs or violence. It is meant solely as a way to make the product to expensive for normal citizens to own.

Michael
    I think you are exactly right. It's not likely the "gang bangers" are going to line up to pay "their fair share" but law abiding citizens will.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    Just saw on the news that she backed down on the ammo tax after the outcry. Still pushing the $25/ea gun tax though.
    I heard that too. The reason they gave is that the tax would amount to more than the cost of the ammunition.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: Chicago Considers "Violence Tax" on Guns and Ammo!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I heard that too. The reason they gave is that the tax would amount to more than the cost of the ammunition.
    Not for .45 ACP, that's for sure. Maybe for bulk .22LR.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links