What if you own the Post Office?......... - Page 2

What if you own the Post Office?.........

This is a discussion on What if you own the Post Office?......... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Crowman Leased or owned by law it is considered postal property. There you go if you want to land your tail in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What if you own the Post Office?.........

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Leased or owned by law it is considered postal property.

There you go if you want to land your tail in jail try getting caught carrying any weapon in a post office.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A post office in a strip mall does not lease the parking lot, only the building. The PO controls the building only. Typically, a free-standing PO also leases the property on which it stands, including the parking lot.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    A post office in a strip mall does not lease the parking lot, only the building. The PO controls the building only. Typically, a free-standing PO also leases the property on which it stands, including the parking lot.
    Yes, in this case there are some exceptions. You can carry in or on the common areas, but not inside the building itself. It doesn't matter if you are the property owner.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    I'm thinking that is the post office ever wants to lease property from me there's going to be an interesting clause in the lease agreement. Said clause will ensure that I have the ability to carry on the property and in the building that I own.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    The guy in my one-man post office was in my first CCW class. We spend time (sometimes with the property owner next door) discussing the activities of local drug addicts and politicians. Not much of an issue for me.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

As to the legality and the sign posted above....that is only PART of the story. Just like there are plenty of gas stations etc here in Tennessee that still put up the signs that carrying a gun where liquor is sold is a crime. It is a crime to carry a gun in public...if you carry there without a permit.

The sign posted earlier shows subsections A through C but not section D.
    (a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
    (b) Whoever, with intent that a firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime, knowingly possesses or causes to be present such firearm or dangerous weapon in a Federal facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
    (c) A person who kills any person in the course of a violation of subsection (a) or (b), or in the course of an attack on a Federal facility involving the use of a firearm or other dangerous weapon, or attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be punished as provided in sections 1111, 1112, 1113, and 1117.

(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—
    (1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;
    (2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or
    (3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

Subsection D #3 says "(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes."

And Carrying a firearm for personal protection with a permit is a lawful purpose. Subsection A does not apply if the carry was one of the things pointed out in subsection D.c

There are sections of TN Law that are similarly written. Just off the top of my head, the laws regarding carrying a "baton/club" are worded similarly....It is a crime to carry a baton...UNLESS you have been certified in its use. It is a crime to do A UNLESS B applies.
    Randy Harris
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

TRAIN with me....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....px?find=harris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links