What if you own the Post Office?.........

This is a discussion on What if you own the Post Office?......... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There have been numerous threads on the legality of Post Office carry.....This is not to necessarily debate that. Personally I'm doubtful about the illegality of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What if you own the Post Office?.........

VIP Member

There have been numerous threads on the legality of Post Office carry.....This is not to necessarily debate that. Personally I'm doubtful about the illegality of it, but that's not my intent here.

Let's for the arguments sake.....say that Postal Carry is not legal.

As some of you are undoubtedly aware, a lot of post offices are actually leased...... So if you are the property owner that the Postal system is renting from.....

Can you carry on your own property? (I ask since our family does if fact own a post office in Virginia.)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I'm gonna go with probably not. Of course I am a random internet guy that has zero knowledge of this...
    darbo likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I think it's no. It's Federal Property regardless if its leased or owned.
    Doodle likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Using my limited common sense I would say that as long as the Federal Govt is paying the rent, they can place all the restrictions they want in the leased space.
    Brad426 and msgt/ret like this.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I think it's no. It's Federal Property regardless if its leased or owned.
    Wrong.

If the building is free-standing it's considered federal property. However, if you actually own the property, that may be an exception to the rule.

If the building is part of another structure that is owned by someone other than the federal government the property is just like the rest of the rented spaces. Period. It's what keeps the federal government from renting space in many locations and imposing their will over the laws of the states.

VIP Member
    I don't know, but if you are going to test the law, speak to an attorney in your state. You'll get the full range of answers here, most of them incorrect or perhaps correct but for the wrong reasons....

Distinguished Member
    I bet you'll lose every time on that one. We're talking the gubment
    bigmacque likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Not a good place for a test case; consult an attorney, and even then I would err on the side of caution before I'd risk it.

I park across the street when I retrieve my dad's mail from his PO box, even though no one is really paying attention to most of the people that are coming and going at any given time.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

This is definitely an interesting scenario, but I don't think we will ever know for certain until someone tries it. So, basically, we'll never know.

VIP Member
    More interesting than most given it is the Commonwealth of Virginia. Landlords may not bar tenants from possessing firearms on rented property. Can the tenant bar the landlord aka owner. Very interesting.

Leased or owned by law it is considered postal property.

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Leased or owned by law it is considered postal property.
    If the leased area is not free standing, then state law prevails. Just because it is leased by the federal government does not mean it is "federal property". Think of all the post office locations that are in a local mall or grocery store. They are leased by the General Services Administration, but are NOT federal property.

The federal governement is the sole exception to state law as long as the leased buildings are free standing. It took a while, and a lot of searching, to find that out.

The really confusing thing is that the General Services Administration leases/owns nearly all of the property, military property in the US as well, for all of the different federal entities. They actually are the ones with the carry ban on federal property. It took me a while to find that information out while we had another PO thread going here. I learned much in doing research, and from some of the links posted.

Apparently the military is the only government entity that can override the GSA gun ban. Do a search on gun bans by the military here. It will depress you.

Not sure how it applies to a Post Office but in my State any building that the Government owns or leases for the purpose of doing business with the public is off limits to firearms carry.

Michael

I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Not a legal scholar nor do I claim to be. But I believe once you lease the property to someone else, they set the rules.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links