NYC gun-laws go too far!!

This is a discussion on NYC gun-laws go too far!! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I live in NYC and I am a gun-owner. I support some gun laws, but many I oppose. Especially ones in NYC: I oppose the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: NYC gun-laws go too far!!

I live in NYC and I am a gun-owner.

I support some gun laws, but many I oppose. Especially ones in NYC:

I oppose the 5-round magazine limit for rifles/shotguns.
    I oppose many of the AWB rules in NYC, specifically the ones dealing with the pistol grip and stock.
    I oppose the 3-month time constraint on buying firearms.
    I oppose registration for rifles/shotguns.
    I oppose the rule that New York State handgun carry permits aren't valid in NYC.
    I oppose the Fire Code regulation limiting ammo possession to 200 rounds.
    I oppose the cost of handgun & rifle/shotgun permits. They should be the actual cost of the application + 21% Overhead & Profit. Renewal fees should also be drastically reduced to reflect actual cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post

I oppose many of the AWB rules in NYC, specifically the ones dealing with the pistol grip and stock.
    I oppose the rule that New York State handgun carry permits aren't valid in NYC.
    I oppose the cost of handgun & rifle/shotgun permits. They should be the actual cost of the application + 21% Overhead & Profit. Renewal fees should also be drastically reduced to reflect actual cost.
    You seriously endorse the idea that you need a permit to own a weapon in the first place? You should not be surprised at all about the rest of these laws that you oppose if you accept that as a basic premise.

Distinguished Member
    Partner, you're stuck some place in the middle of a NY Attitude and possibly being a member of the free world. I spend a lot of time in the city and it tends to be a liberated thought process everywhere I go while I'm there. See how well it's working? Go give it a good thinking. Then you can stay there or leave or figure out the middle ground. For the moment, quiet consideration might be in order. We were intended to be a confederation of independent States so that the worries of the state of New York wouldn't muddy the waters for the rest of us. You, sir, are muddying my waters.
    suntzu, HotGuns, pfries and 3 others like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

So, you are only 1/2 a New Yorker ?

Wow, I can't see any justification for any of them in New York, none ... zero... zilch. If you moved out here, you might not recover from the "shock" ..... at the world the rest of us live in. And we think that's too restrictive.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Man oh man. I can't imagine living in such an anti-gun jurisdiction. I found the federal background check so annoying that I got my weapons carry license and now I don't need the check. And I can buy all the guns I can afford.

That fire code regulation is hilarious, by the way. Does NYC also limit the number of lighters and matches a person can own - oh, wait, that actually would make sense, if the goal is to reduce fire hazards.

VIP Member

These limitations were put in place to help keep Gotham safe. Here, this one is for you:
    AC/DC - Safe In New York City - YouTube
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Senior Moderator
    200 rounds?

I'd blow that one out by several hundred times.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    You seriously endorse the idea that you need a permit to own a weapon in the first place? You should not be surprised at all about the rest of these laws that you oppose if you accept that as a basic premise.
    actually, Im kinda conflicted on the whole issue of permits.

from what I understand, the whole permit process is just a lengthy & thorough background check.

we wouldn't need permits if we just had better background checks.

so yes, if we could incorporate the investigations that go into permits into background checks, then Id say yes.....drop the permits.

Your second line is why you have this problem in the first place. You went along to get along and they got a foot in the door. Live with it now or move nothing you can do about it in NYC.
    But it is all good with such a tight control on guns such a safe place to live.

actually, Im kinda conflicted on the whole issue of permits.

from what I understand, the whole permit process is just a lengthy & thorough background check.

we wouldn't need permits if we just had better background checks.

so yes, if we could incorporate the investigations that go into permits into background checks, then Id say yes.....drop the permits.
    Prior to the 1990s there were no background checks, and prior to 1968 there were no "prohibited persons" in the first place. It's long past time for you to get some consistency in your worldview. The United States was not some third-world nation with blood running through the streets prior to the 1960s, and limitations on your natural law freedoms (that is, the freedom to do ANYTHING that does not harm someone else) are acts of repression. Endorsing repression, however small it may start out, undermines your entire argument and premise. By saying you should have to ask for government permission to own a certain type of property, whether in the form of a permit or a "better background check", you are immediately ceding the basic notion that you have a right to anything, and are substituting it with a privilege. Under such logic, a 5-rd mag limit, 200-rd ammo limit, and so on, are perfectly permissible.

Distinguished Member
    So you aren't listening? Fare thee well.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Also Pythius, I hope you don't take my replies as insulting or condescension. Within the context of your current locale, you display an amazing level of good sense. I simply hope to have you think through the things you're talking about here, and maybe arrive at more logical conclusions. In any event, if more people like you lived in NYC, it would probably at least move in the right direction. Therefore, I applaud you taking the step of at least objecting to a good chunk of their stupidity as it relates to firearms.
    lyz_grace, gasmitty and steffen like this.

A 10/22 and anti blathering on my favorite forum does not a gun owner make.
    Darrow75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Partner, you're stuck some place in the middle of a NY Attitude and possibly being a member of the free world. I spend a lot of time in the city and it tends to be a liberated thought process everywhere I go while I'm there. See how well it's working? Go give it a good thinking. Then you can stay there or leave or figure out the middle ground. For the moment, quiet consideration might be in order. We were intended to be a confederation of independent States so that the worries of the state of New York wouldn't muddy the waters for the rest of us. You, sir, are muddying my waters.
    I liked, but unliked and then liked again so I can say I did twice.

I oppose NYC

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links