My conversation with Wayne LaPierre at the CCW rally on Long Island

This is a discussion on My conversation with Wayne LaPierre at the CCW rally on Long Island within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I attended the Sportsmen’s’ Association for Firearm Education (SAFE) CCW meeting on Long Island over the weekend. This is the second time I have attended ...

Thread: My conversation with Wayne LaPierre at the CCW rally on Long Island

My conversation with Wayne LaPierre at the CCW rally on Long Island

I attended the Sportsmen’s’ Association for Firearm Education (SAFE) CCW meeting on Long Island over the weekend. This is the second time I have attended and turn out looked impressive to me. We filled an entire double sized ballroom at the Sheraton in Smithtown New York with every seat taken and plenty of people standing in the back. The speaker who received the most attention was Wayne LaPierre, Executive VP of the NRA. Mr. LaPierre was there early to mingle and was very open in answering questions from whoever cared to ask. I had met him there last year and had a specific question in mind this year.

In my opinion the Supreme Court is as conservative as it is going to get. The only way a liberal justice is going to leave before Bush is feet first and it seems very possible that the next administration will be Democrat, if not the Congress or Senate. My question was:

“If this is as good as it gets when do we push a true 2A case, like the Morton Grove IL handgun ban, to the SCOTUS?”

His reply was that they were still not confident of the ruling we would get. I am not so certain but he did give me the name of somebody to follow up with on the issue and stated it was a point of internal debate at present. What they feel far more confident is bringing their First Amendment case to the SCOTUS again with regards to Campaign Finance Reform.

The highlight of the meeting was Mr. Pierre's speach and the movies shown by Mr. LaPierre and a lady who made the movies for the NRA. For those who have not had the pleasure try to find a way to hear Mr. LaPierre speak in person, it is worth it. The movies focused on secretly taped footage of Handgun Control’s gala at the French Embassy in Washington, complete with Mike Wallace expressing his allegiance with that group and Charleston Heston as well as plenty of Katrina footage. There were movies of people who had their weapons forcibly removed by the police in LA as well as plenty of people who used weapons to defend their homes. Several people who were ambivalent about the 2A were true supporters after their experiences. What were truly troubling were the many people who went to the trailers in LA where the confiscated guns were being held. Even with serial numbers it is only a very small minority of people who find guns that were taken from their homes and vehicles. Many of these people were robbed at gunpoint by the authorities, others had their houses broken into and ransacked in a search for guns BY THE POLICE.

What was the most shocking was that only a minority of 2A people in the room had seen any of this footage. We all need to spread the word about Katrina to every “sportsman” we know who doesn’t concern themselves with the 2A fight.

There were several other speakers and a fund raiser raffle. I was somewhat disappointed that there was really no emphasis on CCW in NY and there was an attitude of doom in that we all know the next Governor and Attorney General are going to come straight from the Democratic machine. Overall I would go again and I will be contacting the gentleman Mr. LaPierre suggested I speak with.

2. Remove Ads

What was the name of the footage? Do you know if it's available online?

Found the videos, scroll down to the 8th, 9th, and 10th file.
    http://www.nraila.org/News/MMArchive.aspx#
    Last edited by jowgafist; October 2nd, 2006 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Found links to videos.

I know I am going to catch hell for this one here, but in my opinion, Mr. LaPierre is an idiot, and has not done the NRA any good since he became the executive director.

I guess I will have to sit back and take the lashing for that one.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    Mr. LaPierre is an idiot
    You are entitled to opinion for sure but - to make the statement you have, you need to back it up with some factual evidence - as you see it.

I doubt anyone in the position he has held will escape flack - plus there is always the - ''Mr X'' - could have been worse.

No flames wanted following your post, from anyone but I do think we need some perceived rationale.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I guess if I were going to call some one an idiot I would at least explain why! This is'nt meant as a flame!

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    You beat me to it Chris!!

My opinion is based on what I have heard him say during interviews since he has been in his position. Based on the some arguements he has made during the interviews for his position on some issues.

I guess I can look up some of the statements and post them here if needed. I am sure some, or maybe most of you will agree with Mr. LaPierre on lots of things, but I find that I don't on many.

And yes, there are many people that would be worse in his position, but then again, if someone would be better, why keep LaPierre.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Farronwolf,
    This is not ment to attack you of what you said, but I don't seem to understand the "Bite the hand that feeds you" Technique.

If you enjoy so much of having the ability to carry a concealed firearm through most of the United States, then what you just said makes no sense, or you don't really carry a firearm and are on a concealed carry forum just for the heck of it. IMO its more likely the first one. The last 12 years have been a land mark in gun legislation. Going from severe restrictions, to getting a lot better, and under this current legislation its only getting better. From your avatar, I'm guessing your Military and I respect that. Military, and Law enforcement have THE toughest job in our land for the worst salary, and are commanded by the BEST military Leaders EVER. If I came out and said something along the same lines directed at good military leaders, would you take offense? Even though American forces are kicking tale and taking names on every battlefield. If you didn't I wouldn't understand why your in the service, but every one has there reasons. Since you do have strong opinions on the topic and you think the way you do, drop all magazines over 10 rounds, and send the rifles to my local FFL you have that contain 2 of the following features: baynot lug, Flash hider, Pistol Grip, Threaded barrel, Collapsable stock, and the ability to accept a magazine over 10 rounds, to me and then I will understand the way you feel.
    Last edited by Rob99VMI04; October 3rd, 2006 at 01:31 PM.

VIP Member
    Figures, no backup data.

I saw the infamous CNN interview where Ken Jenne from the Broward Sherriff's office was doing his bit for the continuation of the Assault Weapon's ban and he got caught alongside with the producer of the piece in a lie: Trying to pass a full auto AK as they were about to be allowed back on the street to mass murder the average american. LaPierre did not mince words and call them liars which provoked a furious reaction on the reporterette but they had to back down and, although theye did not plea a mea culpa and admitted they were lying, the segment was re-edited and eventually disappeared from rotation within 12 hours.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Rob99,

I don't take your comments as attacks, nor anyone elses. Frankly noone in here knows me well enough to attack me.

I am prior military, no longer in service, and yes I have a Texas CHL. I think that is all on my profile. I do not however subscribe to the paranoya that is sold by lobbying firms on either side of the gun issue or any issue for that matter. I am fully capable of making my own mind up about issues without someone trying to sell me on thier ideas.

From your profile you have a vested interest in the NRA and everything they do. That is fine by me. But the NRA doesn't feed me so I am not using the bite the hand that feeds me.

It wouldn't bother me in the least if someone spoke against our military leaders. That is their right, and some of the current and past leaders should be spoken against for not speaking loudly enough to the current administration and how they have acted militarily. Although now retired, many are speaking up.

I don't find that much has changed since I started owning firearms, a little over 20 years ago, for me to own one I just go down to the store an buy one.

I guess if there were any firearms in my safe that held over 10 rds, had a flash surpressor, pistol grip (excluding pistols), threaded barrel, collapsable stock or magzine that held over 10 rds, I probably wouldn't send them to you. I do have one that has a bayonet, and grenade laucher, but I think I will keep that one as well.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I think that it is awesome that we live in a country where dissenting opinions are not only allowed but welcomed. While I don't share farronwolf's opinions of Wayne LaPierre it is definitely his right to express his feelings. That right is guaranteed by the constitution much like our right to defend ourselves.

While I don't agree with ALOT of what is said and protected by the constitution; I respect a person's ability to voice/have dissenting opinions. It has been my experience however that the the majority of people that wish to eradicate firearms don't give us the same respect. Nor do they respect the 2nd Ammendment or its intent. Due to this fact we are at war with the anti-gun forces. When you are at war you don't usually make friends.

Wayne LaPierre is running an organization that is dedicated to the protection of the 2nd Ammendment. While he doesn't have carte blanche with me I think he deserves quite a bit of credit for how gun legislation has improved since 1991 (when he accepted his current position). I don't consider myself a gun nut but I am very happy that folks like Wayne LaPierre and the NRA are there to watch out for our "rights".

With that said, if you have any anecdotal evidence of blunders or missteps that have been made in the protection of the 2nd Ammendment; I for one would love to hear about them.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

I was also there and when all was said and done, I felt somewhat bamboozled.

IMHO, turn out was actually pretty bad when you consider that there are close to 30,000 pistol license holders on Long Island and 400-500 of them actually showed up. In addition, NONE of the people that need to hear "our side" were in attendance.

The New York State pistol licensing system is unique in that the State basically issues a "full carry license". It is then left up to County and Township authorities to place restrictions on them as they see fit. They are not OBLIGATED to place restrictions on the licenses....it's their call, do it or don't, the State doesn't care either way. The NRA and pro 2-A Politicians are busy trying to pass laws to remove these "powers" (or so they claim), which is fine. It's also very difficult and time consuming to do this STATEWIDE, especially when you throw NYC in the mix. In addition to this war, why don't they try to battle on a County by County basis. For an example, Suffolk County Police Commissioner Richard Dormer has the power to add or remove restrictions on a pistol license. Why was this man not in attendance? Why wasn't Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy in attendance to hear "our side"? Between these two people, Suffolk County could have had a no restriction ccw THE NEXT DAY.

NONE OF THIS WAS MENTIONED. I went there with the impression that this would be all about ccw in NY and what is being done to fix the current situation. It was basically a NRA money grab/Political commercial..."Vote for me...I'll bring about change". Yeah....will ya?
    It was a lot of doom and gloom, preaching to the choir.

The Katrina video was eye opening but, it came across (to me) as a high pressure threat, "If you don't want this to happen to YOU, vote for ME and give money to THEM".

Oh, by the way. I don't recall who the first speaker was (I walked in about 2 minutes late) but, basically his message was, "I'm getting the hell out of NY and moving down south just as fast as humanly possible."

Promising huh? I could have walked out after 15 minutes having achieved the same amount of hope and knowledge that I had when I left 4 hours later.

In fairness, the Katrina footage was eye opening but, I had a hard time making a connection to ccw on Long Island.

***EDITED TO ADD***

It should read, 30,000 pistol license holders in Suffolk County ALONE. I don't know the numbers for Nassau but, would expect them to be similar.
    Last edited by distortion9; October 4th, 2006 at 12:05 PM. Reason: correction
    If you can read this, thank a teacher; if you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    I think that it is awesome that we live in a country where dissenting opinions are not only allowed but welcomed.
    Yes, but I think it's how we express those opinions that is so important.

I too realize as probably do others here that Mr. LaPierre has made mistakes. But, also consider that when it comes to the 2A, his beliefs and ours line up substantially with ours, and its his methods that may not have always been the best choice. Also consider that he has devoted more of his life than probably any of us here have to protecting the 2A. My point is that perhaps the term "idiot" was a little much? Perhaps, "imperfect ally" would be better.

We're all on the same team, and while I agree that we should call a spade a spade, we should convey opinions about our allies in a way that strengthens our alliance, not weakens it. When we frontally attacking an ally, we actually reduce our combined effective strength, and that only helps our common enemy - the very gun-control nuts against whom we're both try to trying to defend our rights.

Perhaps it's better to simply identify and discuss our differences with him in factual terms, and leave the name calling out of it. That way, both sides are further educated and our power to defend against our common enemy is strengthened, not weakened.

Best,
    Jon
    Last edited by BigJon; October 10th, 2006 at 01:08 PM.
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

Links