Assault Weapon Ban?

This is a discussion on Assault Weapon Ban? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thanks for the feedback. My question was more to get a realistic timeline to save up money and buy a gun that I want. I ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Assault Weapon Ban?

Thanks for the feedback. My question was more to get a realistic timeline to save up money and buy a gun that I want. I realize that the AWB may or may not come to fruition with either candidate, but I wanted to have my ducks in a row before it's too late. :)
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

Would yall please stop providing evidence that he won't pass an AWB? If you keep it up, how am I supposed to convince the wife that I need to add to my stockpile?

And yes, I did say "yall" I'm a southern boy and proud of it.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It failed the first time through, then, Congress was called back into session after the conservatives had gone home for the night, and the bill was passed.

i don't remember that at all.

The crime bill was a very convoluted thing. The AWB provision was originally ginned up in the senate. The house version of the crime bill contained the Racial Justice Act that was later dropped. Habeas Corpus Reform was also dropped.

Bob Dole and the senate Republicans filibustered the crime bill. The Republican filibuster fell apart after three rounds of voting when several Republican senators broke ranks.

GOP stalls anti-crime bill in Senate procedural move - Baltimore Sun

The Republicans got "three strikes" added to the bill.

Oh, BTW: There is a factor of the AWB that is often forgotten, especially by Republicans. Former president Ronald Reagan joined former presidents Carter and Ford in shilling for the AWB. At least two house members changed their minds based on Reagans appeal and voted for the AWB. Those two votes put it over the top. Those who think Reagan was the "Gunowners Champion" should do some research. Reagans administration outlawed the carry of guns in national parks and outlawed the importation of two shotguns under the "sporting purposes" clause of the GCA 1968.
    rigel42, torgo1968 and NMB like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Apparently so. It also seems we get our news from different sources. I can think of no improper action taken by
    this Prez which could conceivably be construed as acting unilaterally (which in context of our discussion would be illegally)
    and with impunity. I'm sure The House would have pounced with an impeachment had he done so.

You are correct that courts can't do anything till an action is filed, but as I mentioned elsewhere, there are literally armies
    of K Street lawyers, Corporate Lawyers, NGO lawyers, all waiting to pounce at the slightest affront to their special interest.
    Try to find legislative empowerment for reporting long gun sales to BATFE. Please let us know if you can find legislative empowerment for the reporting of long gun sales in the states that border Mexico.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    He did this exact thing with his medical care act.
    But there was a huge and obvious difference: he campaigned heavily on healthcare reform. Without regard to whether you agreed with it or not, there was no question that he was going to go full throttle on the issue. On guns, he had one throw-away line in his nomination acceptance speech, and the "clinging to their guns" bit at a private fundraiser (and that's not exactly a statement of policy).

The only thing I will trust to a politician is their ambition. As long as I have some control over their furture (by voting), I have some control over what they do. A lame duck president is not something I desire now. I would rather have someone who needs my approval (vote) in four years. There are no more national political office that Obama can run for after president. His next job, either in 2013 or in four years, will be an appointment.
    But that's exactly my point. If Obama has any further political-related ambition after his presidency, he won't kick the party in the groin on his way out. If he is re-elected, he has to deal with a Congress that faces their own re-election in two years, so if he hopes to get anything done, he can't afford to jump on an issue that is a complete loser. Yeah, then he has two years of answering to no one, but if he wants any of those plum appointments, they will remember if he wasted a lot of time trying to pass a law that he knows has no chance of passing. And the following Democratic nominee will be left to clean up after the mess.

Edit: One other thing. Who exactly is going to give him a sweet position on the basis of a new AWB? The Brady Campaign? Yeah, nice gig, I think they meet once a month at a Red Lobster now.
    Sig 210 and NMB like this.

Yeah, nice gig, I think they meet once a month at a Red Lobster now.

In their heyday the Brady Bunch was awash in cash. Now they have trouble paying the rent. i recently watched a Brady extravaganza where they toted out old tottery former SCOTUS justice John Paul Stevens. Stevens sat in the amen corner agreeing with everything the Brady guy said.

Quote Originally Posted by torgo1968 View Post
    Obama did not promise to reinstate the AWB. He did not say anything about banning handguns. He's not that stupid, he knows that as little support for a new AWB as there would be, there would be even less for banning handguns. He brought up handguns in the context of explaining how the AWB is not the end-all of solving gun crime; in essence, he was agreeing that "assault weapons" aren't the problem.

To repeat for the billionth time, there is no way that a new AWB could get passed. Because of the near unanimity of the Republicans and the half dozen or so Dems who would cross the aisle, the Democrats would have to own 65 (maybe more) seats to have a filibuster-proof bill. That is obviously not going to happen. Would he sign if it got to him? Sure. But he's not going to waste one minute working on such a loser.

Remember folks, Obama dodged the issue like it was poison in the last campaign; if he hadn't been asked about it during the last debate, he might never have mentioned it in this campaign. He has not attempted a single piece of gun control legislation, even during the first two years when he had majorities in both chambers of Congress. When Holder broached the issue in a press conference, both the White House and the House leadership quickly told him to shut his pie hole. The Dems, with the exception of the true believers, learned their lesson from the last AWB. The Brady bunch has given him an F grade on the issue.

He's not coming for your freaking guns.
    we didn't think Clinto was either, and poof. The AWB of 1994. Don't be so naiive as to think a President in his second term will not go for the gusto. The only reason he has been quiet about it until now
    is he knows that he will get crucified at the polls if he did. November 7 if he is re-elected will be an entirely new playing field.
    Wake up.
    phreddy likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    we didn't think Clinto was either, and poof. The AWB of 1994. Don't be so naiive as to think a President in his second term will not go for the gusto. The only reason he has been quiet about it until now
    is he knows that he will get crucified at the polls if he did. November 7 if he is re-elected will be an entirely new playing field.
    Wake up.
    Please read the whole thread. I (and others) have answered your points. I'm wide awake. I'd just prefer we don't scare ourselves into another ammo shortage/price gouge situation.

Obama would need a super-majority in the Senate and a majority in the House, to pass a new AWB. That's how Clinton did it.

Obama will NOT have such power in Congress, so we cannot pass a new AWB.

so you can spend your hard earned dollars on more important things, like frozen yogurt and your kid's dance lessons.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by torgo1968 View Post
    Please read the whole thread. I (and others) have answered your points. I'm wide awake. I'd just prefer we don't scare ourselves into another ammo shortage/price gouge situation.
    we have bigger issues to worry about than a ammo shortage and any post I read that says Obama is not coming for your guns will have the same response.
    Remember that if re-elected, Obama will be appointing another Judge to the Supreme Court soon. Just a reminder that the Heller case was 5 to 4, and not
    9-0 like it should have been. The next case could be the Supreme Court voting on whether the 2nd Amendment really means "the right of people to keep and bear
    arms". He won't need a majority in either the House or the Senate to pull that one off and he knows it....he can simply back door the entire process by appointing
    the right left wing liberal to the Court and bringing another Heller type case to the Court. The ones he has already appointed don't think normal people should be able to own guns.

We are ONE Supreme Court Justice away from possibly having the 2nd Amendment read: "It is the right of the Military and Police to keep and bear arms"....
    because after all we all know that is what the orginal framers of the Constitution meant.
    phreddy and GoBigOrange like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

The Right to Bear Arms, meaning the right to own & carry firearms for self-defense & recreation, NOT simply as part of a government regulated Militia, is SETTLED law.

They will NOT be revisiting that issue, just as the right of women to have an abortion is SETTLED law.

however, another Liberal on the SCOTUS could very well rule in favor of more gun regulations. This is true. But the basic understanding of the 2nd Amendment, has been settled.

tell your wives the ban will take effect in January .... you have to order early or they'll run out of them, and the prices will triple after that. Maybe buy two, so you have one to sell when the prices go up.

and then .... just shake your head with a very concerned look on your face and remind her, Christmas is coming up too.... so the buying will be even higher this time of year and the earlier you order one the better, as it will get even worse if you wait tooooo long.

Before the 1994 ban, I kept saying .... "I'm not worried, they'll never get this passed" ..... and was in no rush. Well, that didn't turn out well. You couldn't find one too buy when the rush hit ..... and after it was in effect the prices were up to 2 1/2 times as high as before the ban. So, when the ban expried, you probably know what the first thing was that I bought. I've been thinking of building another one, so this time I went ahead and bought a 'lower' , just because I planned to anyway and I'm taking no chances this time. I'm seeing several people who "wanted" to buy one or build one anyway, that now aren't waiting..... they're buying them now. Is that a "waste" ..... no..... as they were going to do it anyway at some point.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    The Right to Bear Arms, meaning the right to own & carry firearms for self-defense & recreation, NOT simply as part of a government regulated Militia, is SETTLED law.

They will NOT be revisiting that issue, just as the right of women to have an abortion is SETTLED law.

however, another Liberal on the SCOTUS could very well rule in favor of more gun regulations. This is true. But the basic understanding of the 2nd Amendment, has been settled.
    Wow. That is all I can say to this post and not get points, just wow.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

"And yes, I did say "yall" I'm a southern boy and proud of it."

Yall is singular, Yalls is plural.

And yes, I did say "yall" I'm a southern boy and proud of it.[/QUOTE]

kinda like youz guyz for the NE'eners.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links