Should I buy guns or ammo? - Page 2

Should I buy guns or ammo?

This is a discussion on Should I buy guns or ammo? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Buy ammo for the guns you have, a handgun ban is less likely than restrictions on ammunition sales. I would strongly suggest purchasing additional large ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Should I buy guns or ammo?

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Buy ammo for the guns you have, a handgun ban is less likely than restrictions on ammunition sales.

I would strongly suggest purchasing additional large capacity magazines, I also see a restriction on capacity as more likely.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

When Bill Clinton signed the ban on so-called "assault weapons," I bought a 686+ combat magnum. Since then, I've purchased a great many weapons and ammunition for them.

Although I am a lifetime member of the NRA, they are not correct on the matter of 2nd Amendment freedom. The current administration is no threat. In fact, conservative republicans are probably more dangerous in this regard. They are the ones who gave us TSA, Homeland security, and "take off your shoes and belt and jacket!"

They are the ones who mistrust us, and look to make us powerless.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    No one actually knows what the future holds. With that said you need to take what the NRA puts out with a grain of salt. While the NRA has done many good things for gun ownership the do use "scare tactics" at times to achieve there goal.

I agree with Smitty901 "they" are going to slowly implement reasonable gun laws, fees, taxes, etc., to the eventual end of no one being allowed to own firearms.

^^^So, what is so reasonable?^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is the "end justifies the means"Bull-Capitol-S-with a Hit" from the gun-ban crowd.
    They are from the ilk that sees what they do not like as evil, and as long as its not their Ox that's being gored, get rid of it, no matter if they understand it or not.

To the OP,
    Yes and Yes, but don't go broke doing so.

Prices may level off after the election and come down somewhat, then pick up some more.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I like to stock up on ammo when I find good deals. I'm not worried about regulation as much as the continuing decrease in the value of the dollar which will drive prices up.

Just as you would at the grocery store. When canned green beans are BOGO, get a couple extra cans to keep in the pantry.
    Richard58 likes this.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Can the Prez reinstate the assult weapons ban by fiat (Executive Order)?
    Bush #1 came close to it by banning import of some types of firearms. That played a big role in my voting for Clinton (who I regarded as an ineffectual womanizer and addlebrained doper).

Forgot that anyone elected brings a crew of people behind the scenes and a coalition supporting him.

When you get that high up, most politicians are little more than post turtles: They did not get there on their own and can't do a thing on their own. Who do they appeal to? Who is going to worship them on their pedestal (making them the people the politician's supporting staff and coalition can manipulate)?

So, Bush #1 set a precedent pointed that direction, Zero may well try to push it further. All he has to do is persuade Congress to do nothing about it, and they are already inclined that way, or Issa would have nailed Holder to the wall by now.

OP:In your place, I'd try for some high cap, high quality 9mm and/or .40's. Buy used if possible so the paperwork trail to you is harder to follow. Get extra mags for each. Function check, clean, and stash. At least 200 cartridges per firearm. Food Saver vacuum bags work great for storage.

I'd suggest getting either a .22 rifle or a high quality pellet gun for foraging purposes, it needs to be powerful enough to kill housecats and stray dogs, because that may well be what's for dinner.

If you do not have a 22 Rifle, that comes first, A Ruger 10/22 with 4 X scope, then bricks of 22's., Then more ammo for everything else.

Then a cookbook:

kill housecats and stray dogs
    Stir-Fry-Cat, Kitty Cacciatore, Beagle Burgers and Poodles and Noodles are some of my favorites.........
    Badey and BigJon10125 like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

thanks to all the advice. Now i don't know what to do... ;)

As for the rifle, can't shoot one, so that's out.

I've been called crazy but I'm buying all the guns and ammo I can. Two fears I have: hyperinflation and "gun controll" in my mind both are gauranteed the only question is which will come first.

Hyperinflation could shut down ammo production as the raw materials could be so expensive no manufacture would bother to produce for the general public.

Gun controll would be easiest to institute by one of two ways. Violence tax or federal agency's like OSHA could shut down and fine ammo producers. There is a small amount of ammo in the market place currently. Most people assume ammo will flow freely like water from a faucet. The problem is one day you might turn the knob on your faucet and no water will come out.

I've bought alot over the past few months, is it enough? The answer is always no. If you can afford more, buy more. I'm adding a Zastava M-70 AK with 7000 rounds of 7.62x39 to my arsenal.

Once you have the basics covered with guns: pistol, shotgun, 22LR, assault rifle then buy as much ammo as possible for them leaning heavy towards the riffle. 22LR and 7.62x39 are both priced right at the moment. Stock up while you can.
    Last edited by GetSmith; October 21st, 2012 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    When Bill Clinton signed the ban on so-called "assault weapons," I bought a 686+ combat magnum. Since then, I've purchased a great many weapons and ammunition for them.

Although I am a lifetime member of the NRA, they are not correct on the matter of 2nd Amendment freedom. The current administration is no threat. In fact, conservative republicans are probably more dangerous in this regard. They are the ones who gave us TSA, Homeland security, and "take off your shoes and belt and jacket!"

They are the ones who mistrust us, and look to make us powerless.
    "The current administration is no threat"................is that a typo ???????
    BurgerBoy likes this.

If you can't shoot a rifle then I suggest a .22 revolver and a stash of .22 ammo. Fun for plinking, inexpensive, can be used to barter with.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser419 View Post
    Just read the article in the latest NRA magazine about what might happen if Obama wins a 2nd term. I'm debating if I should buy a couple of the guns I was thinking of getting, or stocking up on ammo for what I have. Not sure I have the cash flow to do both though. Thoughts?

If I bought guns, I'd probably buy a SR22 and a SR40c.
    If I bought ammo, it'd be 9mm FMJ and JHP.
    What good is a gun without ammo?
    Wheelspinner likes this.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Self Defense Stories
    Give me a minute before I post again.

I'm buying ammo. Got two hands (left and right) and the wife can shoot so...........ammo is my answer.

Rock and Glock likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Why a .22 revolver and and not a .22 handgun?

Unless the Democrats win back a super-majority in the Senate and a majority in the House, there will be NO NEW Federal gun laws.

so don't sweat it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links