Leave a comment on BBC News' website

This is a discussion on Leave a comment on BBC News' website within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; BBC News has a "forum" going related to the recent school shooting. Leave your comments on the website so the anti-guns aren't the only ones ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leave a comment on BBC News' website

Exclamation Leave a comment on BBC News' website

BBC News has a "forum" going related to the recent school shooting. Leave your comments on the website so the anti-guns aren't the only ones posting - a lot of people watch the BBC News, they may assume an anti-gun position as well if we don't share some light.

Link (I don't know for how long the "forum" will be open):

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thre...20061003124335

2. Remove Ads

Left my comment. Boy did they want a lot of information to do so.

I put in my 2 cents. Yes they wanted a lot of info but optional is optional.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

I will post but It looks like as usual antis out number us 5 to1. See how propaganda is so invasive. Also do these peoples opinions really reflect what they view because they seem to be somewhat canned responses from anti web sites?

my post will be "reviewed"

Putting the 2A bashing aside. The real reason these tragedies are as bad as they are Is that virtually All school zones are prohibited weapon areas. This keeps legally authorized citizens and most security elements from reacting to prevent these mad men from acting. Even in columbine the police stood out side because they deemed it to dangerous to go in.

America has the most freedoms of any country in the world. But great freedom comes with even greater responsibility. It boils down to YOU are ultimately responsible for protecting YOURSELF and YOUR loved ones. There are good people willing to act but are prevented from doing so by well intentioned laws.
    Last edited by Bryan; October 3rd, 2006 at 09:32 AM.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

I posted the following. We'll see if it gets past the moderators. Of course, there is no panacea, no perfect plan. Without cash, commitment and common sense, nothing will change. We'll see if that little "firearm training" comment gets to stay.

1. Strong doors, barred windows, quality locking mechanisms, crash bars allowing only egress.
    2. Dual-door security choke points at small number of entry points.
    3. Human security guards in secured area between these two doors.
    4. Heavy security gates that can be raised/lowered, at key points.
    5. Physical layout/design of school corridors and rooms to be defensible by small numbers of people (teachers, students).
    6. Modern wireless/wired security camera technology throughout entry/egress and hallway areas.
    7. Firearms training and outfitting of administrators and faculty, with appropriate training to defend their charges.
    8. Actively train on basic, effective procedures to defend against attack.
    9. Cash. Get the legislators to fund changes. Where shortfalls exist, fundraise.
    My high school was not a bunker, and yet it had many of the above features. One thing that was not done is to staff the entry/egress points. However, the major corridors leading into the central core areas of the school ended with heavy security gates that could be quickly lowered. Windows were high off the ground and fairly small, to guard against entry. The doors to classrooms were heavy, reinforced, security-type doors, with extremely heavy framing into the building. (I recall watching one being replaced and remarking at how heavily-built the installation was.) There were no double-entry doors, like some modern banks (which can trap criminals as they enter/exit). There were no security guards. No staff (that I know of) were armed. We never did training for anything other than fire. Still, it was nice to be in a fairly well-designed building. Felt secure, with a physical layout far better than many schools out there, even ones recently designed.

Bunker mentality? Absolutely approrpiate for instances of security emergencies. But that goes nowhere without the physical layout, the security doors and features, and the frequent, effective training of all staff, administrators and students.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; October 3rd, 2006 at 10:13 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I commented. The only info they required is your name, they gave you the option to include your location and email which I did.

Just read a few pages of the comments. I want to throw up now. I'm proud though that all of the pro-gun comments I read sounded logical, well thought out, and without emotion. I can't say the same for the other side. A lot of regurgitated taught reponses and emotional crap.

You have a good point Sammy. Post that up there :)

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jowgafist View Post
    You have a good point Sammy. Post that up there :)
    agreed.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I liked MoroseMouse's comment.

I also liked how my comment was denied. All I did was point out the comperable crime rates based on regions and cities - and that legal ownership had nothing to do with it....

I used to read the BBC site for news.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I left my comment but dont think they will like it

By popular request I added my 2nd post in this thread to the comments. Considering my first didn't get posted (so far) I seriously doubt this one will either. Hooray for free speech.

My comment didn't make it as well.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Yeah. I think the BBC is getting scared that maybe guns are being seen as a good thing. Us darned Americans and our thought-out logic....
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I've read all the posts, mine is mysteriously missing ;) Now the ratio is fairly stacked and I wonder if they alreay have a ratio in mind and are releasing post accordingly.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links