Raging Against Self Defense: A psychiatrist Examines The Anti-Gun Mentality

This is a discussion on Raging Against Self Defense: A psychiatrist Examines The Anti-Gun Mentality within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After a few annoying conversations with some Anti-Gun people from work I did the following Google Search(without quotes): "how to convince an anti-gun person that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Raging Against Self Defense: A psychiatrist Examines The Anti-Gun Mentality

After a few annoying conversations with some Anti-Gun people from work I did the following Google Search(without quotes):

"how to convince an anti-gun person that they aren't right"

The top result was Raging Against Self Defense: A psychiatrist Examines The Anti-Gun Mentality.

I though that the article was very well written, and I'll have to try out some of the response techniques that are mentioned.

A few disclaimers:
    -I'm fairly new and this the first thread I've started
    -I'm sorry if this article has been discussed already; I did a few searches and couldn't find it linked anywhere on this forum.
    ArmyMan, Justified, mano3 and 3 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Quite interesting read. I know a bunch of people who would qualify for several of these conditions, lol.

That was a really good read. Very informative
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

VIP Member
    That is a great article! I read it this morning after seeing it on the, "Do you support a businesses right to ban guns"?
    It was called something else, that's probably why it didn't show up in the search.

Very interesting!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

My goodness! That's a long read A very well written piece as well as an interesting way too look at it.
    "Sooner or later we all must die. Warriors choose to do so on their feet, standing between their enemies and those they hold dear. With a weapon in their hands. Cowards choose to do so on their bellies. Unarmed."

- Dave Gell

I don't know what anti's other folks know but the ones I know are not idiots. They have a different viewpoint. I have seen that article before and IMO it is ridiculus. Take for example the following "ideas" the author thinks will work:

"So you fear if your neighbors had guns, they would use them to murder you. What makes you think that?"
    "Why do you think that your children’s schoolteachers would shoot them?" You might follow this up with something like, "Why do you entrust your precious children to someone you believe would murder them?"
    If I tried a line like that to some of the anti's I know they would pause, look at me and then slap me on the shoulder and say "we thought you were serious!". They do not want weapons in peoples hands like teachers not because they think they will murder the kids. It is because they think they will be ill trained to use them properly. Most of the anti's I know are very articulate and do know about the real world and what can happen to them. I think this one is priceless:
    "Imagine your wife is in the parking lot at the supermarket and two men grab her. One holds a knife to her throat while the other tears her clothes off. If I see this happening and have a gun, what should I do? What would happen next? What if after five minutes, the police still haven’t arrived?"
    Don't you think that most responses (even from anti's) would be that they would blow their heads off?

It is a philisophical difference. Just like folks against the death penalty. Folks ask say all the time "what if a man raped and murdered your wife, you would not want him to be put to death".......You can not use visceral emotions to try to sway ones philisophical views.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    They do not want weapons in peoples hands like teachers not because they think they will murder the kids. It is because they think they will be ill trained to use them properly.
    If that was their response, I would follow up with something along the lines of, "Why do you entrust your children to someone who you don't feel is capable of determining whether or not they have enough training to carry a deadly weapon?"

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Good read. It's good to see the psychological side of the antis. If someone has an irrational mindset, getting frustrated and trying to bully them with facts only makes it worse. As the article says, you have to make them feel safe, not threatened by the information or arguments you present.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    If that was their response, I would follow up with something along the lines of, "Why do you entrust your children to someone who you don't feel is capable of determining whether or not they have enough training to carry a deadly weapon?"
    You must know some really stupid anti's is all I am saying. I am not defending anti's, just saying they are not stupid. First of all, only a moron would not know what you are trying to do. I do not hang out with morons. But do what ever ya can to bring people over.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    You must know some really stupid anti's is all I am saying. I am not defending anti's, just saying they are not stupid. First of all, only a moron would not know what you are trying to do. I do not hang out with morons. But do what ever ya can to bring people over.
    I will accept that certain people can't be convinced and that is because they are fundamentally against the concept of using deady force(or really any force) period. The article even mentions this, but you need to get to the end.
    You will also not be successful with the anti–gun ideologues, people like Charles Schumer and Dianne Feinstein. These people have made a conscious choice to oppose firearms ownership and self–defense.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Yeah, there is a difference between someone with irrational fears or who has been misled or misinformed (your typical anti) and someone who knows the facts, who knows the truth, and yet, for some other reason chooses to ignore it or believes the facts don't matter.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    Yeah, there is a difference between someone with irrational fears or who has been misled or misinformed (your typical anti) and someone who knows the facts, who knows the truth, and yet, for some other reason chooses to ignore it or believes the facts don't matter.
    There are definitely a few people that I admire who have, for some reason, made that choice(to be pacifist).

A few examples: Jesus, Ghandi, Martin Luther King Jr.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

^ Before someone else points it out, all three of those people were assassinated.

Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    There are definitely a few people that I admire who have, for some reason, made that choice(to be pacifist).

A few examples: Jesus, Ghandi, Martin Luther King Jr.
    Jesus isn't a pacifist, He just had a different mission for his first visit than His second

But you're right. There are others who have made the choice that fighting, or fighting back, is never a good thing, and no facts about firearm ownership, crime rates, etc. will change their minds. The article spoke to that, and a true pacifist will seek to peacefully reason with others to have them see it their way. Someone like Schumer doesn't work that way. They know the facts about firearm ownership and they reject it for their own selfish purposes. I respect a true and consistent pacifist. I don't respect an emotionally-disturbed individual who seeks to project their insecurities onto everyone else and then judge them for it. In the scriptures, this issue would be about the pharisee vs. the weaker brother.
    dfjonathon and gatorbait51 like this.

dfjonathon and gatorbait51 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links