How Obama Could Force Restrictive Gun Laws Without Congress.....

This is a discussion on How Obama Could Force Restrictive Gun Laws Without Congress..... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been wondering for the last few weeks how President Obama could hurt 2nd Amendment Rights if he were to win reelection and not ...

Like Tree27Likes
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 9 Post By Crowman
  • 3 Post By suntzu
  • 4 Post By SFury
  • 2 Post By suntzu
  • 4 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By dbglock
  • 2 Post By NMB
  • 1 Post By pgrass101

Thread: How Obama Could Force Restrictive Gun Laws Without Congress.....

I have been wondering for the last few weeks how President Obama could hurt 2nd Amendment Rights if he were to win reelection and not have a Congressional majority to go along with his plans. I recall the President being quoted recently while speaking to some anti-gun group and telling them he had some things working "under the table" (I assume he meant some anti-gun restrictions that he has wanted for some time).
    Well in this months edition of "America's 1st Freedom" Dave Kopel lays out a scenario about how this could take place. I think every gun owner should read this and be aware of what really could happen in the event Obams pulls out a win and is willing to go for broke in his next term with his historical anti-gun position:
    America's 1st Freedom
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

VIP Member
    With the power of the executive order there is no telling what havoc the Exalted One in the Whitehouse may accomplish.
    lchamp likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

While the NRA has/will accomplished much as far as the 2nd amendment goes they also use scare tactics at times. In many instances it is best to take what come from the NRA with a grain of salt.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

That was a very ammusing article. I did not know if I should laugh or cry. But I did forward it to a literary group so it could be submitted for an award forr fiction. Also forwarded it to SNL. Thought they could use some new material

Seriously. Anybody can get bored enough and sit behind a computer and come up with a worst case scenario. I prefer pluasible scenarios even if I do not beleive those will happen. Gun and ammo prices don't go up because of Obama...they go up becuase of articles like that.

When Clinton was elected folks thought the sky was going to fall. Everything from gun rights to healthcare reform to dolling out welfare checks. The sky did not fall. There of coourse were changes like anyother presidential change. But, overall the country did well.

Anybody can write a doomsday scenario. It is convenient. It does not take a lot of skill nor thought. And if any of it comes true, even to the smallest extent, the author will claim that he was right. Just like Nostradamus. Write enough stuff, be vague, and something will fall in line with your writings one day. Pro and anti gun groups, politicians, and others do this all the time. Easy way claim victory or claim you were right when in acutality you were wrong.

It takes real thought and intelligence to write a plausible scenario.

Now for the standard rebuttals. "you have to plan for the worst". "Anything is possible". "Folks would rather put their heads in the sand". To those I say in order:: "I plan for the worst case plausible scenarios", "If anythiing is possible I will start planning how I will spend my lottery winnings", and "to act rationaly and not over react is not "putting ones head in the sand".

Folks all said we had our heads in the sand about the ATT. Well, look how that turned out.
    Last edited by suntzu; October 29th, 2012 at 08:15 AM.
    torgo1968, Darrow75 and wmhawth like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Well Suntzu, if you want to ignore the extremely well documented history of the current President, that is your choice.

The reality is, the use of Executive Order has been overstepped. The fact that Congress has not acted to reign in the President for abusing the power is sad. The biggest infraction comes with using an EO to enforce the Dream Act that was voted down, by both parties I'll add. Presidents cannot do as they please, although Obama is doing his best to be a dictator instead of the President.

It's the Chicago way of politics that has stayed with the President. If that does not scare people, then I don't what will.

I want to see the other elected officials reign in the top office as the Constitution says they should. They brought down Nixon after all. It's good to remind potential suitors for the office that the job has limitations.

Obama hates guns. That's fact. Never forget that. Don't vote just on that issue, but look at the entire picture.

Where am I ignoring anything? Oh yeah, rebuttal style three "they have their head in the sand". I don't listen to trash and worst case scenarios because they hardly come to fruition. I know exactly how this president is. he is like other Presidents. I do agree with you about Congress reeling in the POTUS. Not only this one but others. Bush was a disaster also.

I do look at the entire picture. What makes you imply I vote on one issue? Lots of assumptions there. Out of curiosity SFury? Did you think the ATT was going to get through the UN, our congress and signed by the president and withstand SCOTUS review? Many people, I would say the majority on this forum and pro gun groups had the sky falling for weeks about that one. Guess who was right?

Over reaction and visceral responses to events gave us the Patriot Act. Let us not go nuts over what is not probable and let us concentrate onwhat is plausible.
    Hopyard and torgo1968 like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    While the NRA has/will accomplished much as far as the 2nd amendment goes they also use scare tactics at times. In many instances it is best to take what come from the NRA with a grain of salt.
    I've begun to wonder if the NRA is nothing more than a consortium of gun and ammo dealers and manufacturers. Surely they must be.
    Hopyard likes this.

Scare tactics are used to promote more gun sales and enrage voters, both for and against...

NMB
    I rolled my eyes when I saw the NRA link.

Im a member, but damn do they fear monger hard.

Executive order isnt some all encompassing power to do anything instantly.

The major portions of the AWB signed by Clinton was passed by CONGRESS, the executive order only made minor changes to what could be imported. They (congress) subsequently had their asses handed to them in the next election cycle.

The AWB is poison to your election chances, and the Dems want to get elected again in 2016.

If you really value your personal freedoms/rights. Vote Libertarian.
    thephanatik and BigJon10125 like this.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Romney is the one who's actually put an AWB in place, why do people worry about Obama so much?

The NRA is full of crap too, Wayne LaPierre is basically a conspiracy theorist. 4 years of Obama has been better for guns than anything could have, more sales, more laws passed giving more rights and Obama's done nothing but mention an AWB to appease his base.

So frankly it's kind of annoying to hear how he's going to ban guns when there's no evidence of it. Romney's as much if not more of a danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Exactly, and he was governor of my state with extremely restrictive and stupid gun rules and laws.

Senior Moderator
    Closed until after the sky has fallen
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Sponsored Links