Legally Stoned on Pot - No Problem, here is your carry license - Page 3

Legally Stoned on Pot - No Problem, here is your carry license

This is a discussion on Legally Stoned on Pot - No Problem, here is your carry license within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; No offense but your debate is changing from just controlling pain to now cancer patients. If i were a cancer patient I believe addiction concerns ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Legally Stoned on Pot - No Problem, here is your carry license

No offense but your debate is changing from just controlling pain to now cancer patients. If i were a cancer patient I believe addiction concerns would be last on my list. If you truly interested in the physical and psychological aspects of addiction, I would recommend you actually speak to a recovering addict to gain first hand insight. If you can't find one, Alanon,AA or NA has a wealth of educational material. If you have physical symptoms of withdraw when you stop taking the substance, your dependent, then your addicted. Thats what addiction is. Go back and read paragraph four of your own example.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by DPro.40 View Post
    No offense but your debate is changing from just controlling pain to now cancer patients. If i were a cancer patient I believe addiction concerns would be last on my list. If you truly interested in the physical and psychological aspects of addiction, I would recommend you actually speak to a recovering addict to gain first hand insight. If you can't find one, Alanon,AA or NA has a wealth of educational material. If you have physical symptoms of withdraw when you stop taking the substance, your dependent, then your addicted. Thats what addiction is. Go back and read paragraph four of your own example.
    No...it's not. Cancer patients are in pain...it's very easy to follow. Since they're given painkillers, of course they'll be watched for studies on dependence.

I know addicts, thanks. I quit smoking and was quite addicted to it too.

If you have withdrawal, it does NOT mean you're addicted! That's the point of this whole thing! Physical dependence will cause withdrawal, after the withdrawal ends you won't be craving it and thus, you were just physically dependent on it.

I can't believe this is still going on, just read the article. It explains everything. Dependence and addiction are two different things, it's a fact and we've already dragged this off topic.

I can't believe it either. Good luck.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

i think the best thing i got from this thread was the side splitting laugh i belted out when someone made some comment about a pot head pawning his t.v. for a bag of weed. my friend, this has never, and will never happen with a pot smoker. it's funny how some people think it's the same thing to be a pot smoker and a crack head. if you asked pawn shop owners who came in more, people smelling like weed, or drunks. i'd bet my left (p)nut it'd be the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by hek1620 View Post
    i think the best thing i got from this thread was the side splitting laugh i belted out when someone made some comment about a pot head pawning his t.v. for a bag of weed. my friend, this has never, and will never happen with a pot smoker. it's funny how some people think it's the same thing to be a pot smoker and a crack head. if you asked pawn shop owners who came in more, people smelling like weed, or drunks. i'd bet my left (p)nut it'd be the latter.
    Didn't you know pot heads are hopelessly addicted murdering sex fiends?!

Ok,let's get back to the header and redirect here. Legally stoned on pot - no problem. There are a select few here that appear to condone the usage of pot and imply its worse than Alchol. Personally I dont care, its their brain. Thats not the conversation here. We all know there're laws restricting intoxication and the possession of a firearm while intoxicated. Should the same laws be applied to pot users or should they get a pass ? If you think they shoud get a pass, what's your reason or why do you think the laws should apply to them too.
    Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    On that topic, here's what Florida has to say:

790.151 Using firearm while under the influence of alcoholic beverages, chemical substances, or controlled substances; penalties.—
    (1) As used in ss. 790.151-790.157, to “use a firearm” means to discharge a firearm or to have a firearm readily accessible for immediate discharge.
    (2) For the purposes of this section, “readily accessible for immediate discharge” means loaded and in a person’s hand.
    (3) It is unlawful and punishable as provided in subsection (4) for any person who is under the influence of alcoholic beverages, any chemical substance set forth in s. 877.111, or any substance controlled under chapter 893, when affected to the extent that his or her normal faculties are impaired, to use a firearm in this state.(4) Any person who violates subsection (3) commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
    (5) This section does not apply to persons exercising lawful self-defense or defense of one’s property.

Note that being impaired does not prohibit carrying nor does it take away one's right to self defense. But it will surely complicate matters.
    DPro.40 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    On that topic, here's what Florida has to say:

790.151 Using firearm while under the influence of alcoholic beverages, chemical substances, or controlled substances; penalties.—
    (1) As used in ss. 790.151-790.157, to “use a firearm” means to discharge a firearm or to have a firearm readily accessible for immediate discharge.
    (2) For the purposes of this section, “readily accessible for immediate discharge” means loaded and in a person’s hand.
    (3) It is unlawful and punishable as provided in subsection (4) for any person who is under the influence of alcoholic beverages, any chemical substance set forth in s. 877.111, or any substance controlled under chapter 893, when affected to the extent that his or her normal faculties are impaired, to use a firearm in this state.(4) Any person who violates subsection (3) commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
    (5) This section does not apply to persons exercising lawful self-defense or defense of one’s property.

Note that being impaired does not prohibit carrying nor does it take away one's right to self defense. But it will surely complicate matters.
    Thanks OldVet. A voice of reason
    Ronald Reagan

A synopsis of Missouri state laws on purchase, possession and carrying of firearms.

PURCHASE
    No state permit is required for the purchase of rifles, shotguns or handguns.

It is unlawful to knowingly sell, lease, loan, give away or deliver a firearm or ammunition to any person who is not lawfully entitled to possess one. It is unlawful to recklessly sell, lease, loan, give away or deliver a firearm or ammunition to a person who is intoxicated. It is unlawful to knowingly sell, lease, loan, give away or deliver any firearm to a person who is not eighteen years old without the consent of the custodial parent or guardian.

POSSESSION
    There are no state licensing requirements for the possession of a rifle, shotgun or handgun.

It is a misdemeanor to possess an unloaded firearm when intoxicated; it is a felony to possess a loaded firearm while intoxicated. It is unlawful for a person convicted of or confined for a dangerous felony or an attempt to commit a dangerous felony to possess a concealable firearm for five years after such conviction or confinement. It is unlawful for a fugitive from justice, a habitually intoxicated or drugged person, or a person currently adjudged mentally incompetent to possess a concealable firearm.
    Ronald Reagan

Ok,let's get back to the header and redirect here. Legally stoned on pot - no problem. There are a select few here that appear to condone the usage of pot and imply its worse than Alchol. Personally I dont care, its their brain. Thats not the conversation here. We all know there're laws restricting intoxication and the possession of a firearm while intoxicated. Should the same laws be applied to pot users or should they get a pass ? If you think they shoud get a pass, what's your reason or why do you think the laws should apply to them too.
    I've never heard of a law -- since the 70's anyway -- that said you can't do this or that under the influence of alcohol without broadening the designation to include any controlled substance. So it's a moot question you ask -- do you know a state that says you can't do so-and-so drunk but feel free to do it stoned? I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    This guy may be a good exapmle of how one mistake should not destroy the rest of your life, but I am wary of who all might try to take advantage of the president.
    So's the Secret Service.
    DPro.40 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    This is a subject dear to my heart.Chronic Pain patients need to have some pain relief weather using pot or narcotic medication.
    I think you find a greater percentage using pot for pain relief are ageing Veit Nam Vets dealing with the effects of agent orange.
    Many are using it because it's the only drugavalible because convention medication has failed.The older I get I have said to myself I will not judge another human until If walked in his shoes! By the way the dea is taking over how doctors prescribe
    narcotics.If you chronic pain tell me what you'd do!
    CaveJohnson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    This is a subject dear to my heart.Chronic Pain patients need to have some pain relief weather using pot or narcotic medication.
    I think you find a greater percentage using pot for pain relief are ageing Veit Nam Vets dealing with the effects of agent orange.
    Many are using it because it's the only drugavalible because convention medication has failed.The older I get I have said to myself I will not judge another human until If walked in his shoes! By the way the dea is taking over how doctors prescribe
    narcotics.If you chronic pain tell me what you'd do!
    Agree with you 100%.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A synopsis of Missouri state laws on purchase, possession and carrying of firearms.

POSSESSION
    There are no state licensing requirements for the possession of a rifle, shotgun or handgun.

It is a misdemeanor to possess an unloaded firearm when intoxicated; it is a felony to possess a loaded firearm while intoxicated. It is unlawful for a person convicted of or confined for a dangerous felony or an attempt to commit a dangerous felony to possess a concealable firearm for five years after such conviction or confinement. It is unlawful for a fugitive from justice, a habitually intoxicated or drugged person, or a person currently adjudged mentally incompetent to possess a concealable firearm.
    While one can argue the "rightness" of FL's law on drugs/alcohol and possession/use, I do appreciate how the statute defines "use" and "readily accessible" over the vague and generic "possess." Someone could make the argument that having a gun in the house while intoxicated is unlawful "possession."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by dbglock View Post
    I've never heard of a law -- since the 70's anyway -- that said you can't do this or that under the influence of alcohol without broadening the designation to include any controlled substance. So it's a moot question you ask -- do you know a state that says you can't do so-and-so drunk but feel free to do it stoned? I don't.
    No there isn't a state that allows it. Just trying to drive home a point that i don't care about the social acceptance of pot usage.. This is a gun forum and under the state and federal laws, smoking pot while CCW'ing is illegal and just illegal period when it comes to the possession of pot. The discussion here turned to how harmful pot is or isn't, in which I did contribute and just tiring to regain focus.
    Ronald Reagan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links