My SD licence has PMB in the address field

My SD licence has PMB in the address field

This is a discussion on My SD licence has PMB in the address field within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; HI, I am a retired person living in a RV that is registered in SD, My licence is also from SD. the address looks like ...

Thread: My SD licence has PMB in the address field

Unhappy My SD licence has PMB in the address field

HI, I am a retired person living in a RV that is registered in SD, My licence is also from SD.

the address looks like this

x y z
    3700 s westport ave pmb 1922
    sioux falls sd 57106

i am being told that i can never buy a handgun in SD. i tried in NV and they told me to go back to SD.
    But SD says no.. must be some other RVers out their? help xenduro

Distinguished Member
    Perhaps you can find a private seller that's got a gun you want?
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Could you get the address changed on you license?

SD does not allow a Private Mail Box? Are FFL's telling you no? Who is telling you no? Where are you registered to vote? Where is your bank located? Where are your Doctors? Just go to your SD Drivers License Bureau and get a new license without the PMB on it. Get your CHL without the PMB on it............

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

If your vehicle is registered in SD, and your DL is from SD, sure sounds like you're an SD resident.

Who's telling you you can't buy a gun?
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

I used to live in Sioux Falls a few years back. Went to Augustana College and had the same problem as you because my address was a campus mail box which is essentially a PO box. Not sure where you are trying to buy the handgun you want, but I found that the guys at Gary's Gun Shop on 41st ave worked on this issue with me and got it figured out. If you're trying to buy one at Scheels, don't bother. I had problems with them - very knowledgeable and helpful but really shied away from that issue. PM me as I have a few other places that are good local gun stores that I never had a problem with if you're interested.

And I see you're new to the forum, welcome! PM = personal message....took me a while to catch on to some of the lingo so I figured I'd help out!

from one gun shop that sold to another with my same address(different pmb)

Unfortunately your address is not one that is deemed a physical address according to the ATF. The form asks for a legal address so the post you showed me that gentleman lied on the form. Now that we know that address we cannot sell firearms with that address. Sorry for the inconveince.

a nice guy from scheels(?) (big chain) called me back and said same thing

another responce
    G, You can only buy handguns in SD. Even from a private dealer. You can buy long guns from anyone. Go to a dealer and buy a gun. He will run the NICS check using that address or will tell you that is not a valid address. If you can't then go to a gun show in SD and buy what you want. You just have to show a valid SD drivers license and they will sell to you.

Two people have asked me to call ATF in St Paul MN, i'll let you know what i hear.

OH took me a while to get your PB as opposed to post office mail box PBM reference also. tks

Quote Originally Posted by xenduro View Post
    HI, I am a retired person living in a RV that is registered in SD, My licence is also from SD.

i am being told that i can never buy a handgun in SD.

must be some other RVers out their?
    If it's due to something in your past disqualifying you, then check with the state statutes to be sure of the law, and with the jurisdiction involved with your prior issue.

If the denial IS because of having no brick-and-mortar residence, then I don't know what to tell you. The state statute will probably read that residents are able to purchase handguns, and that others aren't. If your residence is a mobile home that's elsewhere and you're not able to claim/show state residency in the state you're trying to purchase, I'd say that you're not going to be able to purchase one.

One other route might be: if your state allows lawful private-party purchases, without going through any state gatekeeper (aka, FFL shop). Unknown if private-party purchases require background checks in your state, or what. Something worth considering.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

just quick mention, i have not asked for a check of my background(31 years at IBM, 3 with NSA) or ginen anything but my SD address just general questions

tks again GR will call atf today and post responce

Sponsored Links