Crook County passes budget with $25 new gun tax

This is a discussion on Crook County passes budget with $25 new gun tax within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's official. Cook County, Illinois now has a $25 tax on the purchase of any new firearm. Business at the local gun stores in neighboring ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Crook County passes budget with $25 new gun tax

It's official. Cook County, Illinois now has a $25 tax on the purchase of any new firearm. Business at the local gun stores in neighboring counties will benefit and so wlll internet sales. I am surprised they didn't make the internet connection so to speak and tax that too. Maybe the state will do that, not to give them any ideas.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Taxing you for not buying something, taxing you for buying something even though it's protected by the Constitution....man, government can't really seem to make up their minds these days.

Also, you should post a link providing a little credibility to your post!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

It could be termed "The Insipid Tax," but that wouldn't distinguish it for many other such schemes. I'm sure everyone will simply head to neighboring counties to acquire what they want. About as good a business killer (in Crook Cty) as I can think of, taxing them into "submission." Yeah, that'll do it.

Amazing that they didn't deem such items subject to property taxes and assessments. That would keep a whole pile of admin folks working.

One Cook Cty staffer: "How many Cook Cty employees does it take to ...?"
    Another Cook Cty staffer: "Uhh ... Dunno, I'll get back to you."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It's the nature of all taxes, really. Sales taxes encourage people to find alternative ways to spend their money. I guess C(r)ook County needs to expand their taxation base, and that their current level of tax income either needs augmentation or their current source of taxation needs some relief.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Drive to neighboring county, buy your guns, drive home. Problem solved.

Senior Moderator
    Seems like another infringement to me, which would seem to be Unconstitutional.

However Illinois being Illinois, I doubt it will ever change. People will just pay it and eventually they'll think it was that way everywhere.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    Drive to neighboring county, buy your guns, drive home. Problem solved.
    It's the internet and UPS that's the true competitor. I don't know how far away a county is from another, but the $ in gas and time might not actually be worth the bother.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    It's the internet and UPS that's the true competitor. I don't know how far away a county is from another, but the $ in gas and time might not actually be worth the bother.
    You can reach one of three other counties or Indiana, all bordering Cook County, from at most about 30 minutes from any place in the city. That's max. Most travel would be far less.

VIP Member
    Talk about a business killer:
    Blog: The First Cabela's to Close
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    This will be challenged in the courts and struck down. Mark my words!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Sorry but the people of Illinois get what they deserve. They elected these idiots.

I have zero sympathy. No way I would EVER live in IL. I can't even see myself visiting.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    Sorry but the people of Illinois get what they deserve. They elected these idiots.

I have zero sympathy. No way I would EVER live in IL. I can't even see myself visiting.
    I don't think you can blame Southern Illinois. They have been victimized by Chicago where most folks are of liberal persuasion and a high concentration of the population. Illinois has a vast rual area and not as populated. That population is mainly pro gun folks. I would never consider living in Illinois either unless they drop a Mr Clean bomb on Chicago.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DPro.40 View Post
    I don't think you can blame Southern Illinois. They have been victimized by Chicago where most folks are of liberal persuasion and a high concentration of the population. Illinois has a vast rual area and not as populated. That population is mainly pro gun folks. I would never consider living in Illinois either unless they drop a Mr Clean bomb on Chicago.
    This is true of most states in the Union. One large population center imposing it's beliefs on the rural population that inhabits 90% of the landmass. Always have, and always will.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    This is just a start. I expect to see these tactics increasing across the USA. We will see if the courts throw it out.

We should call it the stupid tax.
    It is stupid because it won;t work. If someone wants to buy a gun, I mean really want to, theextra 25 bucks will just tick them off but they will buy it. It won't reduce the amount of guns being bought, but like folks have said it will affect where folks buy guns.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links