Could you make every citizen in town a law enforcement offcer?

This is a discussion on Could you make every citizen in town a law enforcement offcer? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Look a the bright side. You'd be disqualified if you had any kind of a record,so your crack heads, abusive types and your certifiable whack ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Could you make every citizen in town a law enforcement offcer?

Senior Moderator
    Look a the bright side.

You'd be disqualified if you had any kind of a record,so your crack heads, abusive types and your certifiable whack jobs wouldn't be able to do it.
    Most of the riff-raff wouldn't make the grade.

So maybe, just maybe, it wouldnt be that scary of a thing.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Ive been in a couple of towns with less than 30 people in them. I could see it working there. DR

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    Ive been in a couple of towns with less than 30 people in them. I could see it working there. DR
    I have lived in small towns (less than 2000) and I don't trust half of them at the range with a gun. How many time on this forum do decent citizens with no record screw up at their homes, on the range, in public. Quite frankly the amount of brain cells per brain IMO has been dwindling in the last few years. I really would not trust giving them any status in LE!
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Look a the bright side.

You'd be disqualified if you had any kind of a record,so your crack heads, abusive types and your certifiable whack jobs wouldn't be able to do it.
    Most of the riff-raff wouldn't make the grade.

So maybe, just maybe, it wouldnt be that scary of a thing.
    Those aren't even the ones I'd be worried about. Ever watched some people drive after supposedly having taken Drivers Ed and passed a driving test and had years behind the wheel? There are many folks, who--despite their 2a rights--are eternally incompetant handling a firearm. I don't think our forefathers had those folks in mind at writing time.
    suntzu and msgt/ret like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    I don't think our forefathers had those folks in mind at writing time
    I'll bet they did. Back then everyone carried guns for self defense. They probably saw more bad handling of firearms then than we ever did here today.
    On the other hand, people worked for a living and were probably better with their hands than most nowadays.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I don't think it would work...I'd probably arrest my wife for changing the furniture around.
    Am I the only one who hates that?
    DPro.40 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I don't think it would work...I'd probably arrest my wife for changing the furniture around.
    Am I the only one who hates that?
    No, you are not alone.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I'd open a doughnut shop and make a fortune
    HotGuns and DPro.40 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Would that mean that everyone must purchase a CCW badge??
    SHTFGearLLC likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Would that mean that everyone must purchase a CCW badge??
    Yes, that way we will know they mean business

Put them all as reserve officers, and restrict arresting authority for reserve officers to when they are on duty, however allow gun carry 24/7. That's what they in essence do here with reserve officers.
    Crowman likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    There's a town a county away from where my mother lives that has had a population of 0 on the last two census results. State law allows for towns to be dissolved due to lack of recent elections. When you add these two things together you end up in a unique spot.

You could buy something, anything, within the town and make that your residence. Then you hold an emergency election justified by the fact you don't want your town to be dissolved. You win the election 1-0 (or 2-0 with a wife, or she wins- whatever) then name yourself chief of police with your power as mayor. I'd assume they'd have to let you in the academy since you're in fact a legitimate chief of police. You could then name anyone that moved to your town a reserve officer and they have a much faster trip to the academy. In effect you accomplish your goal of letting everyone be a police officer if they live in your little town.

Thinking about it you could even give yourself a salary and fund it with a speed trap! I started by trying to figure a way to make it work, not I think I have an idea. I wonder if I can track someone down that owns property in what was the small town and make an offer.
    HotGuns likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Well, the liberals (being the most anti-gun by far) would most likely try to disarm each other, or the whole PD, as they have disarmed LEOS in some countries already. So in that case, (being that no firearms would be involved) the liberals might also say "we could make it work"

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I think the more liberal minded will tend to say...nah...not a good idea.

The more conservative types might say...yeah...we could make it work.

Its funny how the mind works.

If it would work at all, perhaps you wouldn't want them to have arresting authority, (or no authority as a LEO at all) but simply be "deputized" in namesake only, and only for the purpose of owning certain weapons. In that case, your idea might have a shot!
    Crowman likes this.

How about Detroit for a test site???
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links