Could you make every citizen in town a law enforcement offcer? - Page 3

Could you make every citizen in town a law enforcement offcer?

This is a discussion on Could you make every citizen in town a law enforcement offcer? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; SC has a constable program. Citizens basically become deputized and volunteer when needed. There is training involved but it is not as extensive as academy. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Could you make every citizen in town a law enforcement offcer?

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    SC has a constable program. Citizens basically become deputized and volunteer when needed. There is training involved but it is not as extensive as academy. They have less power than a full officer. They teach the classes at local community colleges. A constable is required to work at least 8 hours a month if I recall correctly. I believe you could make the OP's situation work if setup with something like SC's constabel program. You would need to allow some exceptions and prohibit others, but you could have a decently large part of the population deputized effectively.

I encourage all law biding, legal and of age Citizen's to be lawful and educated weapon owners, but I see a plan as this one ripe with confusion, corruption and authority abuse. IMO.

There is the concept of "Citizen's Arrest". It involves getting actual LEO involved, but that is a good thing. I could go on, but I am sure everyone can see the inherit flaws in this idea.

Just think if you had a large segment of the town that were like the infamous "Gecko 45?" character.
    That would be a real mess.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Not likely because an agency that owns NFA items doesn't delegate that ability to its agents. Even if a town was fully deputized, all NFA items would remain property of the agency and be subject to all relevant laws and regulations.

In Minnesota it couldn't happen because all LEOs have to be POST-certified, which means a law enforcement degree + test.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I don't want to be thought of as hijacking the thread but the Constitution refers to a well organized milita being able to keep and bear arms. Even the anti's don't dispute the meaning of these words. Couldn't ""militias" on the order of the national guard or the Boy Scouts, made up of law abiding citizens who would otherwise be granted a CC permit, be allowed to carry in the event the new SC goes against us?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    I don't want to be thought of as hijacking the thread but the Constitution refers to a well organized milita being able to keep and bear arms. Even the anti's don't dispute the meaning of these words. Couldn't ""militias" on the order of the national guard or the Boy Scouts, made up of law abiding citizens who would otherwise be granted a CC permit, be allowed to carry in the event the new SC goes against us?
    Research FL militia laws:

870.06 - - 2012 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

790.29 - - 2012 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

It's a tricky area to dive in to.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    I'm trying to remember which sheriff or police chief after September 11th deputized the Conceal Carry permitees, but it has been done. Ltc. Grossman Retired brought it up at the last seminar he gave here. Still think?

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links