Could you make every citizen in town a law enforcement offcer?

This is a discussion on Could you make every citizen in town a law enforcement offcer? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have an odd question.... Lets say I lived in a small city. Would it be possible to designate every citizen in the city as ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Could you make every citizen in town a law enforcement offcer?

Sponsor

I have an odd question.... Lets say I lived in a small city. Would it be possible to designate every citizen in the city as a law enforcement officer and extend the agencies access to restricted firearms to the citizens?

Just curious, with a few counties passing laws that require all citizens to have a gun, it really doesn't seem like that much of a stretch.

Does anyone know the relevant laws?

Thanks,
    Clay

People would be trying to arrest each other. Some people, given the authority, would immediately abuse the power. Chaos.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    People would be trying to arrest each other. Some people, given the authority, would immediately abuse the power. Chaos.
    I agree. Alway a hot dog in the bunch. Just out of curiosity, what cicumstance would you inlist a whole city. An ordnance requiring every household to have a weapon just isn't in the same ballpark enlisting powers to interpret and apply the law. If that happend in my town I'd get out of Dodge.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by DPro.40 View Post
    I agree. Alway a hot dog in the bunch. Just out of curiosity, what cicumstance would you inlist a whole city. An ordnance requiring every household to have a weapon just isn't in the same ballpark enlisting powers to interpret and apply the law. If that happend in my town I'd get out of Dodge.

I concur
    with the exception I don’t live in Dodge…
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Senior Moderator
    Most states (if not all) require LEO's to be certified. That means either going to an Academy, or an Academy approved course and spending X amount of time on the law, firing range,arrest techniques,traffic stops and all other kinds of stuff.

Some states require you to be employed by an agency that sponsors the training, meaning that you can not go to an academy by yourself.

It used to be that a Sheriff could pin a badge on anyone they wanted to and call it good, whether they were trained or not. Now, most state law requires certain standards to be met.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Sponsor
    I'm not asking if it is a good idea, but if it was legally possible. I think HotGuns basically answered the question.

Describes most of the government we already have. Whether the average policeman understands it or not, it is still against the law to detain someone without probable cause that an actual law has been broken, and that would apply to any other arrest. Someone with official police power who wasn't getting paid would probably only be looking to intercede on personal and maybe a few property crimes. Given the number of people who carry I think a paid police force (to feign protection) is a fairly archaic concept. Would still need professional detectives and mop-up crews, however.

Getting back to the original question, as long as the individuals meet the state-level LE qualifications, I can think of no legal reason why not. However, the county sheriff at common law can deputize at will for any legal purpose within the jurisdiction. If the county has shared jurisdiction within the city limits, it would be feasible to carry as a deputy regardless of what the city does.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

I think that would be the stupidest thing a city or town ever did.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I think there could only be two possible outcomes. Complete and total harmony, or complete and total chaos.

One thing is for certain.....I'll be buying as much Krispy Kreme stock as possible.

Complete and total harmony - well, probably not unless you are a REALLY small city and even then probably not.

Senior Moderator
    I think the more liberal minded will tend to say...nah...not a good idea.

The more conservative types might say...yeah...we could make it work.

Its funny how the mind works.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

I've never considered myself as a Liberal. Now I'm having an identity crisis. 😱
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

Or
    Its funny YOUR mind works.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Senior Moderator
    Hey...I'm left handed...I think with the right side of the brain. Notice that its the "right side" or, the "side of right".

What can I say? I see things differently.
    DPro.40, suntzu, msgt/ret and 2 others like this.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I suppose a town could deputize everyone, but from what I see wandering around, that would be a very, very scary thing to do.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links