I started this petition for a friend and to help regain some of the 2nd Amendment.

This is a discussion on I started this petition for a friend and to help regain some of the 2nd Amendment. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Please take the time to read this. http://wh.gov/9MPn...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By paullie

Thread: I started this petition for a friend and to help regain some of the 2nd Amendment.

I started this petition for a friend and to help regain some of the 2nd Amendment.

Please take the time to read this. http://wh.gov/9MPn

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I do not have a problem with someone convicted of domestic violence losing their right to own firearms as long as there is some method in which they can have their rights restored
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I honestly do not think you will get very far with this, but at least you are trying.

Suggest, however, that you go in there and clean up your spelling and punctuation.

Please amend (OR) remove the "Domestic Violence Offender Gun Ban" also know as the "the Lautenberg Amendment" from the "Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act". Domestic Violence is a misdemeanor. I know of several people that have been convicted of this and they WERE innocent. In each of these cases that I know of the police showed up with an ambulance and the women DID NOT have a mark on her and they WERE found guilty. One MAN'S wife had a medical issue and told the court that she was not in her right state of mind and YET HE had to plead guilty or they WERE going to arrest her for filing a false police report. With her medical condition he could not let her go to jail.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I do not have a problem with someone convicted of domestic violence losing their right to own firearms as longs as there is so method in ehich they can have thier rights restored
    I can agree this. A friend of mine broke up with his live in girlfriend and she started punching herself in the face and than called the police and said he did it. Despite having no marks on his knuckles or hands whatsoever, he was arrested and found guilty.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Domestic violence laws are like alot of other crap, it started out as a good thing and then evolved into a craptastic pile of poo. In some states if cops get a call, somebody goes to jail. That is soooo dumb. So You can't yell at the kids/wife???? If a person, man or woman won't "press charges" then have a nice day and enjoy being punched in the face.

Years ago my wife had a friend that would get smacked around by her boyfriend and she would come to our house, we'd call the cops, she'd deny anything happened, they'd leave he would show up and most of the time they leave and later that night she'd be back with a fat lip and sleep on our couch. I finally told her to not come to my house again and washed my hands of the situation.
    darbo likes this.

Domestic violence situations are so murky, messy, and ugly there are no laws that can adequately deal with the issue. People claim the opposite, but they are wrong.

They are wrong because some of the beaten up people don't want help yet. As long as the punching bag wants to be punched, no law will work.

Until someone hits rock bottom, and then leaves cops are almost powerless to do anything. Even then, a restraining order is just paper. Paper doesn't stop a determined raging individual. Just look at the domestic violence shooting in Wisconsin. Nothing outside of an armed citizen/LEO in the right place at the right time could have stopped the events that happened.

I've seen some sad things over the years. Some people just keep on taking a beating. I don't get it. There is something wrong with them that doesn't allow them to break the cycle of violence. I've seen this with men and women who get physically and mentally attacked. Mostly women, but men can be victims too.

Many of the officers I've met hate one and only one type of call above all others. The domestic disputes. They describe it like the soldiers who have gone to Korea, Vietnam, and the Middle East in more recent times. Just think about that.

I honestly don't know if I would ever get involved in a domestic dispute myself. It's one scenario I can see myself having to shoot the victim and the abuser. Not good. Not good at all.

VIP Member
    I signed it.

While I agree with the premise of so called "domestic violence", I believe it has become a catch-all phrase to run as many people through the system and get them labeled.
    Some are wrongfully labeled{accused}, and for some of the charges which are typically non-violent in nature, (spanking/reprimanding a child lets say), to lose such a right is an injustice.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    In some states you do not even have to be convicted to have your right to own a firearm. The entry of an order of protection in Illinois for instance causes forfeiture of your FOID card and you must surrender your guns. And believe me, a ham sandwich can get an order of protection there.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

In Wisconsin all it takes is being charged to lose your 2A rights for four years. You can, if you are not found guilty of the charges, or the charges get dropped petition to get your rights restored before the four years is up.

A conviction is an automatic revocation of rights. I'm not certain what you would have to do, if anything can be done, to restore your rights after being convicted.

When I was reading NC's CC laws I saw one that said No CCP for anyone convicted of any felony or violent misdemeanor, including domestic abuse. I didn't have a problem with it then and I don't now. The fact that a lot of people have bad lawyers or overaggressive prosecutors doesn't change my opinion that a guy who beats his wife to a pulp has no business getting a CCP.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    While I agree with the premise, the petition is too personal and not informative enough to get real attention. I would want it to include more factual information and big picture problems than anecdotal evidence and specific stories. If it doesn't work, try again with big picture stuff, try to find statistics of cases where the only evidence is the accusers word, or convicted with no physical evidence, or number of people convicted where the accuser later recants. Also consider how most of the DV laws violate the presumption of innocence. I did like the part about losing rights over a misdemeanor. Focus a little more on that.
    Walk softly ...

I want to say Thank You for allowing the petition. The moderator Dolomite_supafly at Tennessee Gun Owners removed it and this was his reason "I removed the link because those convicted of domestic violence should never be allowed to own firearms." Again Thank You.

wait a minute. your freind pleaded guilty to protect his wife's lying? why did she not be an adult and accept the consequences for her actions?

Links