Defensive Carry banner

What do Gun Owners Really Want?

5K views 86 replies 58 participants last post by  scott625 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Under federal law and most states' law, only individuals who attempt to purchase firearms from licensed gun dealers must present a government-issued ID, sign a form stating that they do not fit any of the firearm prohibition categories and pass a criminal background check. But criminals and gun traffickers are given an easy alternative. They can simply purchase firearms from private sellers who do not require any of these checks.

Closing this absurd loophole would not be political suicide for politicians who fear losing the support of gun owners. A recent survey found that more than 80% of gun owners and 74% of NRA members want this loophole fixed.
I found that to be kind of surprising. I'm personally in favor of private sales between individuals. I haven't sold many guns in my days (and regret everyone I that did sell) but I have bought roughly 80% of my guns through private sales for numerous reasons such as; not being able to find the one in a store, not wanting to purchase online, price was beat out a store I could find it in, etc. you get the point. Also, for those in a pinch or simply just do not like the gun they have bought and want to sell it, I'd imagine they get more of their money back as opposed to a pawn shop or trade-in value.

What do you guys think about those percentages/p2p sales?

Reactions: pir8fan
#37 ·
I prefer person to person also, when possible. Its always fun to meet other gun owners and hear the history of the firearm, but I really like the idea of not putting my name on some list somewhere also. I can often find better deals online than I can by buying from a private sale, so the only real advantage to the private sale for me is to not have the paperwork hassle. Restrictions are against the whole idea of the 2nd A.

#7 ·
Nobody really thinks that these "learned experts" really want you to be able to sell firearms from private parties without a background check, do they? Drip, drip, drip...

#10 ·
The problem I have with all of this is that, first, I absolutely do not trust a politician when it comes to 2nd amendment issues. Second, once we start down the slope of more regulation, we'll slide down farther and faster than could be imagined. I find nowhere in the 2nd amendment any mention of background checks, of restrictions on types or number of firearms or anyother limitation and yet they exist already. More restriction will only make criminals of more people and do nothing to solve gun violence.

#13 ·
I want to know what "survey" they did of NRA members who think we should have background checks required for personal sales? They make a lot of assumptions, and only dubious conclusions. Typical anti hack job spewing opinions as "facts" and "reasonable steps".

#14 ·
What does this gun owner want? To be left alone to my own devices by the government. I want to be able to purchase a weapon from another state and not have to use an FFL to receive it. I want to bulk purchase weapons and ammunition. I want to be able to buy a suppressor off the shelf in a store and not have to pay a tax for the privilege of owning it. I want to be able to own a new class 3 rifle... made in 2007. I want to be able to carry an AR15 pistol. I want to not have to worry about background checks.

People purchase vehicles all of the time and what do they have to do to get them? Pass a credit check. And they're given keys to several thousand pounds of metal that can move at high rates of speed and is responsible for killing several thousand Americans yearly, with no regard to training, instruction... or anything other than someone paying the payment.

#16 ·
How does restricting gun rights on victims make victims safer?
Tighten up the gun laws for criminals...commit a crime or have an illegal gun? You get 20 years to life, no early out.

A young gang thug caught with a gun? He'll have 20 years to think about trying it again.
Works for me...:yup:

#18 ·
Don't get me wrong, I don't like criminals having firearms too; but redrawing the straw purchase line isn't going to do much. How do you even enforce that? Is a cop going to come to my house every week and make sure I have all the guns I'm supposed to own?

The NRA portrays itself as an organization that speaks for and advocates for gun owners. The reality is that they speak for gun owners with the most extreme views and for the gun industry.
That's pretty hilariously accurate for CNN.

#23 ·
I'm fine with background checks too but I don't see how that's going to stop anyone buying a gun from a private person.
If Jared Loughner hadn't obtained a gun from a dealer, he could have just as easily gotten one under the table.

So, adding another layer of laws isn't going to solve the problem of deranged people killing others.

#24 ·
If a person is determined to kill, laws won't make any difference. They will find a way, gun or no gun.

Reactions: mg27
#44 ·
I was having a discussion with some friends about guns and their need. They bring up England as one example for gun control and its direct effect on reducing murder. England has 1/4 the homicide rate per capita vs. the US. What are some thoughts on why the same thing wouldn't work here?

#25 ·
In Iowa, you must have either a permit to purchase a handgun ($5.00 annually), which includes NICS check; or a permit to carry.

You must show it to any seller private or store. You must see it if you are the seller.

At least that transaction is good. Subsequent sales may not be kosher.

#26 ·
I am going to add that I want a sever curtailing of criminal protection zones. The idea that someone needs to be prohibited from carry, e.g. on a college campus to reduce crime is absurd. I would also add that gun buster signs not carry legal weight, which is about the only practical compromise on this issue I can see.

#29 ·
Define "gun owners".

There are plenty of liberal elitist "gun owners" like Sly Stallone who think it is perfectly OK for them to have a shooting range in their Miami house, own anything they want to own and carry but would restrict the "common folk's" rights to do the same. Do THEY represent "gun owners" ?

We also have a segment of gun owners who sit around in tinfoil helmets scanning the treetops for black helicopters....Do THEY represent gun owners?

You see "gun owners" is not a monolithic homogeneous block of people. You have people who buy and use guns for different reasons. You have some who look at them only as tools to engage in sporting pursuits. But even those people are not always in agreement. A sportsman could be a hard core bird hunter....who would never even consider buying a handgun....while there are also hard core action pistol shooting enthusiasts who couldn't care less about bird hunting. So which one represents "gun owners"?

And even the action shooters sometimes are little more than "gun golfers". There are plenty of them who shoot for the sport and would not ever carry a gun on the street. Do THEY represent gun owners?

Then we have folks who collect firearms but do not shoot them. Are THEY representative of gunowners?

Then there are those who could care less about the history or the mechanical innovation of firearms or sporting pursuits who simply own a gun for protection. They barely know how to work the gun and do not really care to ever even practice. They loaded it the day they bought it just before they stored it away in their sock drawer.....Do THEY represent gunowners?

Then we have folks like me. I work in the gun industry in my day job and am a firearms instructor. I shoot competitively. I shoot GSSF, IDPA, 3 gun, SMG and cowboy action and any other kind of match I might find interesting. I own machine guns, cowboy guns , hunting guns,black rifles,old military rifles,double barrel shotguns, pump shotguns semi auto shotguns,silencers, short barreled rifles and shotguns, I like old collectible guns too. I am a TN Handgun Carry permit Instructor, instructor for Suarez International , Glock armorer, and I teach and attend training classes regularly.

So do people like me represent "gun owners"? You see there is no "typical gun owners" we are all different.

CNN has a LONG history of spinning things to match their liberal anti gun agenda. Anyone remember the hit piece they did back in 2004 bemoaning the assault weapon ban's possible ending where they interviewed the Sheriff of Palm Beach County Florida? He had an officer firing a FULL AUTO AK at their range while he spewed liberal anti gun lies about how if the ban expired his officers would be facing THOSE type guns in the hands of common criminals. Disgusting.

So as to CNN and ANY kind of credibility on gun issues? Yeah right. The whole concept is ludicrous that A. that there is a monolithic group of " gun owners" and B. that ANYTHING CNN would do would show anything other than a liberal slant.

#32 ·
I'm a long time member of the NRA. Altho there are several things they do that I do not agree upon. There is one thing for certain. Once the NRA lightens up, and allows the government to start regulating this or that, we'll all lose our gun rights, freedoms,etc. I do not trust 98% of our so called politicians. They are all out to make a name for themselves, see their names in light, and pat themselves on the back. Give em an inch and they'll take a mile. Long live the NRA, the GOA, etc.

#33 ·
While I do not mind the instant background check. I also don't want to limit private sales. Personally I will only sell to a ccw holder (letting the govt take care of the background check) and will only buy from people I know. But that does not mean everyone follows those guidelines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.