What do Gun Owners Really Want?

This is a discussion on What do Gun Owners Really Want? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm new but thought I'd add my thoughts. I would like to have quiet enjoyment of my sport. No BS. No grouping me with gangster ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: What do Gun Owners Really Want?

I'm new but thought I'd add my thoughts. I would like to have quiet enjoyment of my sport.
    No BS.
    No grouping me with gangster criminals.
    I just want to be a tax paying law abiding citizen exercising my 2nd am rights as much as the police state of IL will allow.
    I would like to see the EXISTING laws enforced. Last time I checked handguns were highly restricted in Chicago without registration and training classes. Yet the gangsters continue to prevail.
    I would like the prevalence of violence amongst drug dealers and gang members to be honestly reported by the media, rather than the default reporting be to the firearm.
    Sorry about the rant, but it frustrating how often the media will blame an inantimate object rather than the criminals behind the murders.
    zonker1986 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by surferbum View Post
    I agree and would go one step further in requiring a uniform, nationwide firearms training class (or proof of attendance at an NRA-like class) focusing on safe operation and storage.
    uniform? o.0, uniform for what?
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by dbglock View Post
    I'm fine with background checks, but I have no idea if that puts me in the majority of gun owners. Don't care. My opinions are exactly what I just called them.
    I agree and would go one step further in requiring a uniform, nationwide firearms training class (or proof of attendance at an NRA-like class) focusing on safe operation and storage.
    Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    uniform? o.0, uniform for what?
    uniform as in consistent. I have not looked at the NRA training courses' syllabus but I would assume they are uniform (as in "the taught the same way in MT as in FL"). I was not looking to get in an argument but the original "What would a gun owner want" question for me is about the ability to own a gun AND use it safely. If training can help prevent a guy from shooting himself in the foot OR his 6-year son shooting his friend in the chest OR shooting a round through the wall hitting his neighbor then I'm for it.

when i see terms like, "absurd loophole", and "common sense reforms" i immediately know that an anti-gunner is trying to foist more restrictions on us. "it's not anti-gun, it's pro-safety". HE says. i say it's anti-gun.

and he moves easily from, "it seems doubtful...", to "supported by the majority of gun owners". how does he know? did he conduct a survey? he sure didn't ask me!

does this idiot really think that violent criminals will care if private gun sales between individuals are outlawed. i would guess that criminals who buy guns, do so from other criminals who have stolen, or obtained, stolen weapons.

the recent insane spree killers have mostly been able to buy weapons like any ordinary law-abiding citizen, because until their insanity actually manifested itself in multiple murders, they have appeared to be ordinary law-abiding citizens. so all of us are supposed to accept and desire (?) these restrictions in order to possibly prevent someone from committing a crime sometime in the future?

this is another anti-gun tactic. just more deceitful than most - and that's saying something.
    Bubbiesdad likes this.

uniform as in consistent. I have not looked at the NRA training courses' syllabus but I would assume they are uniform (as in "the taught the same way in MT as in FL"). I was not looking to get in an argument but the original "What would a gun owner want" question for me is about the ability to own a gun AND use it safely. If training can help prevent a guy from shooting himself in the foot OR his 6-year son shooting his friend in the chest OR shooting a round through the wall hitting his neighbor then I'm for it.
    Like uniform driver training will keep drunks off the road?
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

I was having a discussion with some friends about guns and their need. They bring up England as one example for gun control and its direct effect on reducing murder. England has 1/4 the homicide rate per capita vs. the US. What are some thoughts on why the same thing wouldn't work here?
    The Constitution.
    multistage likes this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Just picked up my Glock 26 today. Can't wait to get the 1000 round trigger job done.
    1000 round trigger job?
    Richard M Nixon
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Murder yes, but other violent crimes GB leads the way (assault, rape, robbery). Also, look at all the European countries with gun control, many have higher murder rates and violent crime rates.

NationMaster - Crime stats: United Kingdom vs United States
    Quote Originally Posted by TheConcealer View Post
    England also has a much different culture, and demographic make-up. You can't simply compare the two in terms of taking guns out of the equation. There is so much more to it than that.

As the saying goes, "An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a slave." The people in Britain may feel safer, but are they really? I wish the United States had a system in place similar to Switzerland, with a mandatory two years in the military starting at 20 years old, and everyone is issued their service rifles which they keep with them at home. This is a good read if you have some spare time, it really shows how guns don't commit crimes, its the idiots that get their hands on them for unlawful purposes.

Gun politics in Switzerland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S. | Mail Online
    TheConcealer and Hobo_Hunter like this.
    Richard M Nixon
    Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Repeal all the existing gun laws except the instant check. Ban concealed carry permits and enact constitutional carry that requires no permit to carry a gun at all.
    TheConcealer likes this.

NICE NICE NICE FIND. Will have to bookmark this one in my loaded folder of evidence why gun control doesn't work! I thank you sir.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Repeal all the existing gun laws except the instant check. Ban concealed carry permits and enact constitutional carry that requires no permit to carry a gun at all.
    Concealed carry licenses are a cash cow for the govt...as well as a control system against citizens.

Gun Stamps

There are Food Stamps for people that don't have enough food - so they can go get the stuff to make a bacon cheeseburger. I want Gun Stamps so people that don't have enough guns (like me) can go buy more guns. Ammo stamps too - so I can buy more ammo. That's what I want.
    mulle46, DPro.40 and pittypat21 like this.

Well..... here ... in the last 5 yrs...... 8 CC holders were charged with crimes that would cause them to lose their license. Out of the 8, 2 ... the charges were dismissed, and 2 were found not guilty, and only 3 lost their licenses..... out of a few thousand who have licenses. So, lets DO stick to the facts...... nut jobs.... will be nut jobs.... and if they don't do it with a gun, they'll do it via other means, eg. explosives, anthrax in the mail, or some other means. In the meantime, you don't make a bunch of restrictions and laws on lawful gun owners that will do NOTHING ... to stop criminals, murderers or the nut jobs out there.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Re: What do Gun Owners Really Want?

Quote Originally Posted by dbglock View Post
    I'm fine with background checks, but I have no idea if that puts me in the majority of gun owners. Don't care. My opinions are exactly what I just called them.
    One purpose of the 2a is to guard against a tyrannical government. The last thing we want is for that same government to be able to pick and choose which faithful supporters will be able to own firearms and which political opponents will not.

There have already been calls to use the secret no-fly list as part of the background check system as well as calls to "share" background check data.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Re: What do Gun Owners Really Want?

Quote Originally Posted by ElkSniper View Post
    I want Gun Stamps so people that don't have enough guns (like me) can go buy more guns. Ammo stamps too - so I can buy more ammo. That's what I want.
    Believe it or not some of the colonies actually did provide firearms to those who could not afford their own so they could fulfill their militia duties.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links