What do Gun Owners Really Want?

This is a discussion on What do Gun Owners Really Want? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You have to consider the source, but is this true? Give gun owners what they want - CNN.com...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: What do Gun Owners Really Want?

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar

You have to consider the source, but is this true?

Give gun owners what they want - CNN.com
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

2. Remove Ads

I'm fine with background checks, but I have no idea if that puts me in the majority of gun owners. Don't care. My opinions are exactly what I just called them.
    Thunder71, darbo and RichB70 like this.

Senior Moderator
    Well this gun owner wants more guns
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Under federal law and most states' law, only individuals who attempt to purchase firearms from licensed gun dealers must present a government-issued ID, sign a form stating that they do not fit any of the firearm prohibition categories and pass a criminal background check. But criminals and gun traffickers are given an easy alternative. They can simply purchase firearms from private sellers who do not require any of these checks.

Closing this absurd loophole would not be political suicide for politicians who fear losing the support of gun owners. A recent survey found that more than 80% of gun owners and 74% of NRA members want this loophole fixed.
    I found that to be kind of surprising. I'm personally in favor of private sales between individuals. I haven't sold many guns in my days (and regret everyone I that did sell) but I have bought roughly 80% of my guns through private sales for numerous reasons such as; not being able to find the one in a store, not wanting to purchase online, price was beat out a store I could find it in, etc. you get the point. Also, for those in a pinch or simply just do not like the gun they have bought and want to sell it, I'd imagine they get more of their money back as opposed to a pawn shop or trade-in value.

What do you guys think about those percentages/p2p sales?
    pir8fan likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    This. Also a bacon cheeseburger.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    And more ammo.
    pgrass101, Brad426, mano3 and 2 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Nobody really thinks that these "learned experts" really want you to be able to sell firearms from private parties without a background check, do they? Drip, drip, drip...
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I want anti-gunners to stop blaming guns for problems and for everyone to focus on the real issue, "bad people".

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I want anti-gunners to stop blaming guns for problems and for everyone to focus on the real issue, "bad people".
    That will never happen.

The problem I have with all of this is that, first, I absolutely do not trust a politician when it comes to 2nd amendment issues. Second, once we start down the slope of more regulation, we'll slide down farther and faster than could be imagined. I find nowhere in the 2nd amendment any mention of background checks, of restrictions on types or number of firearms or anyother limitation and yet they exist already. More restriction will only make criminals of more people and do nothing to solve gun violence.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

I too support private F2F sales and I don't want to have to go through an FFL.

I don't know anyone personally that is in favor of having to go thru ffl for private sales.I am however in favor of bacon cheeseburgers,I would vote for that,run for office sir.
    carracer likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I want to know what "survey" they did of NRA members who think we should have background checks required for personal sales? They make a lot of assumptions, and only dubious conclusions. Typical anti hack job spewing opinions as "facts" and "reasonable steps".
    Walk softly ...

What does this gun owner want? To be left alone to my own devices by the government. I want to be able to purchase a weapon from another state and not have to use an FFL to receive it. I want to bulk purchase weapons and ammunition. I want to be able to buy a suppressor off the shelf in a store and not have to pay a tax for the privilege of owning it. I want to be able to own a new class 3 rifle... made in 2007. I want to be able to carry an AR15 pistol. I want to not have to worry about background checks.

People purchase vehicles all of the time and what do they have to do to get them? Pass a credit check. And they're given keys to several thousand pounds of metal that can move at high rates of speed and is responsible for killing several thousand Americans yearly, with no regard to training, instruction... or anything other than someone paying the payment.
    ksholder and HotGuns like this.

I have no problem with background checks, so long as I have an easy to use method at my disposal 24/7/365 that doesn't cost anyone a dime. Make an 'app for that' and I'll play by the rules with a smile on my face.

So yeah, that's not gonna happen.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links