Task force says FL's Stand Your Ground law stands.

This is a discussion on Task force says FL's Stand Your Ground law stands. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Following the uproar over Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law and the Zimmerman case, the governor established a task force to review the statute. The local ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 1 Post By steffen

Thread: Task force says FL's Stand Your Ground law stands.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Thumbs up Task force says FL's Stand Your Ground law stands.

Following the uproar over Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law and the Zimmerman case, the governor established a task force to review the statute. The local news reported this evening that after conducting statewide meetings, the task force has essentially endorsed the statute as is, recommending minor tweeks (no specifics on the evening news) to clarify who is eligible under the statute and to discourage armed vigilantism.

'Stand Your Ground' panel suggests few changes to Florida's self-defense law | Crime | Bradenton Herald

I felt the statute was fine, but will be interested in what "minor" changes are suggested.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Hmmmm, lets sit back and wait oldvet, wait and see..... Eddie.

Well, the "Preliminary" MSM report sounds reasonable, but the proof is in the puddin'
    goldshellback likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In lieu of a "Strike down the statute" recommendation, I think the task force has spoken positively toward the statute.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The best line in this article comes at the very end:
    "I don't think any task force full of people who support the ("stand your ground") bill are going to say anything other than 'It's a wonderful bill,' " said Braynon. "I think it's really going to take an uprising by the people of Florida."
    I wonder what this uprising will look like. I'm sure they won't have any guns.
    rammerjammer likes this.

VIP Member
    Sen. Chris Smith, D-Fort Lauderdale, offered the group several recommendations from a task force he had commissioned in April. Most of the recommendations from Smith, the incoming minority leader, were not adopted by the state's task force."I don't think any task force full of people who support the ("stand your ground") bill are going to say anything other than 'It's a wonderful bill,' " said Braynon. Read more here: 'Stand Your Ground' panel suggests few changes to Florida's self-defense law | Crime | Bradenton Herald
    And I'm sure if the panel had been loaded with opponents of it, they would have been fair and impartial.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I did like seeing, that people who wanted the law changed and who had made proposals prior to the review, were not allowed on the Commission since they were pre-disposed and pushing specific agendas already.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Keep us posted on what the minor changes they suggest are. Discouraging vigilantiism could be a tweak that could cause some problems, but we'll see.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    The best line in this article comes at the very end:

I wonder what this uprising will look like. I'm sure they won't have any guns.
    Uprising?! Last I'd read more than half the citizens of FL support SYG as it's written! Here's one of many articles where they were polling Floridians only to find - we're overall good with the law.
    TALLAHASSEE: Poll: Most Floridians want no changes to Stand Your Ground law - Political Currents - MiamiHerald.com

I doubt that anything will change as SYG is written.IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

mkh
    Wel, it's great to see some common sense prevail.

"I didn't expect anything. I really truly didn't expect anything," said Sen. Oscar Braynon, D-Miami Gardens. "It was a Republican-dominated commission, and it was full of people who supported 'stand your ground' to begin with."

Braynon is a big supporter of the "Anti-2A's" down there. If he had his way Florida would mirror Chicago's gun laws.

He's an "Anti-2A" Democrat and didn't like it that "Pro-2A" Republicans dominated the commission .... go figure

Links