Democracy vs a Republic - Favorite ±250 year old quote!

This is a discussion on Democracy vs a Republic - Favorite ±250 year old quote! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By goawayfarm
  • 2 Post By Mike1956

Thread: Democracy vs a Republic - Favorite ±250 year old quote!

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.

The average age of the world's great civilizations has been two hundred years. These nations have progressed through the following sequence: from bondage to spiritual faith, from spiritual faith to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependency, from dependency back to bondage.

Alexander Tyler, 1787

Now please read the Federalist Papers and the Anti-Federalist Papers to understand why the founding fathers wrote the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and chose to form a Republic!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

VIP Member
    While we are a representative republic, we are no better than mob rule when the elected representatives are more interested in being re-elected than doing what is RIGHT for the country.

Term limits might help delay the downfall of the USA, but does anyone actually think politicians would allow to be term limited?

(It took Rome nearly 300 years to complete its collapse once it reached the tipping point....it won't take the USA but a generation or two to collapse.)
    Anubis likes this.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    from apathy to dependency, <~~~ here is where we are right now.

While your quote is pertinent and very true, democracies do by their very nature, vote themselves out of existence.

But you wrote nothing in regards to what you view is the difference beween a democracy and a republic.

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.

The average age of the world's great civilizations has been two hundred years. These nations have progressed through the following sequence: from bondage to spiritual faith, from spiritual faith to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependency, from dependency back to bondage.

Alexander Tyler, 1787

Now please read the Federalist Papers and the Anti-Federalist Papers to understand why the founding fathers wrote the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and chose to form a Republic!
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    OPFOR and oakchas like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

One generation away from losing all that we have built. Sad situation today.
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

Sponsored Links