SAF launches 'Gunowners Against Illegal Mayors'

This is a discussion on SAF launches 'Gunowners Against Illegal Mayors' within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by DaveWorkman Originally Posted by ccw9mm So long as it's not a mud-slinging fest and simply is a rational outing of the criminality ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: SAF launches 'Gunowners Against Illegal Mayors'

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWorkman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    So long as it's not a mud-slinging fest and simply is a rational outing of the criminality and unsuitability of such folks with respect to the issues, then I have no problem with it.
    You may have to define a line here because these guys have wallowed in mud. All SAF has done is shine a light on it.
    The "issue" here is monumental hypocrisy. This group wants to treat gun owners like criminals, while many in their own ranks have clearly engaged in real criminal activity.

Did you read the column?
    Read it, yes, and others. Agree with SAF and their position, absolutely. All they're doing is shining a light on the crap. Outing those who abuse the Hypocritical Oath they take is a worthwhile endeavor.

My only point was, though I apparently wasn't clear enough: I'm with it, so long as it avoids being the mud-slinging fest that too many lobby groups engage in, even though "mud-slinging" is almost the middle name of the efforts these "leaders" foist upon citizens with their anti-gunner campaigns.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Yeah, thanks, Dave.
    To fulfill their duty, the mayors should meet regularly to closely monitor criminals.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Yeah, thanks, Dave.
    To fulfill their duty, the mayors should meet regularly to closely monitor criminals.
    Always nice to meet with old friends and colleagues, I guess!

I think, though, that fulfilling their duty should simply mean they keep their hands and their records clean. Evidently, too many of these men and women get the impression they were elected to enrich and aggrandize themselves. The farther I've dug into this story — I had nothing to do with the research — the more appalled I've become. I was talking to Alan Gottlieb the other day about the public reaction to this campaign...on this forum and elsewhere...and it has really hit a nerve.

What befuddles me is that people like this get RE-elected by the same citizens they've failed to serve, even after their wrongdoing is made public. Marion Berry comes to mind. It's a head-scratcher. I think it has to do with a public malaise; the electorate doesn't pay any attention to issues so long as they have three squares, and they just vote for the same ol' same ol' because they've become lazy. You know...vote for the familiar name because you voted for the same name last time. How stupid is that?

One of these guys, the former Jacksonville mayor IIRC, got elected in a landslide back in 2007, and two years later he was indicted. That doesn't just happen. There had to be something that voters ignored. What a sad commentary on the average voter.

Long story short,, of course, is that all of these characters joined up with an organization that has endeavored to disarm as many people as possible and discourage the rest from exercising their gun rights. Some of them have done whatever they can to criminalize constitutionally-protected behavior (RKBA) and when the smoke clears, they turn out to be the REAL criminals. The irony of this jumps right out at me, which is why I wrote the story and the follow-up.

Thanks for reading. This isn't Fast & Furious, which I've covered for almost two years, but it is certainly bizarre.

Great post OP................
    NRA Patron Member
    GOA Life Member
    Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links