Call volume shuts down FBI’s background checks, stops Maine sales on Black Friday

This is a discussion on Call volume shuts down FBI’s background checks, stops Maine sales on Black Friday within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; NICS is turning into a government permission mechanism. I am begging to hate it. I am begging to hate the people that think its a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Call volume shuts down FBI’s background checks, stops Maine sales on Black Friday

Senior Moderator
    NICS is turning into a government permission mechanism.

I am begging to hate it. I am begging to hate the people that think its a good idea.

Dont want anyone to buy guns?

Say NICS is down.

NICS is down...due to volume...bad weather...or maybe the President and his cronnies just dont want you to buy guns for" national security reasons". Think it wont happen?
    Think again.

One other way to look at it...
    if the system gets overloaded...then FIX the dang thing. Take some of the money that we are diddling away to our so called "buddies" in the Middle East and fix it.

How hard can it be? Hire more people. Fix the computers. Just make it happen.
    1MoreGoodGuy and oneshot like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

"We want to encourage free-enterprise & streamline all areas of *American Small Business, because God knows our economy needs all the stimulus it can get (*unless, of course, you're in an American Small Business that's on our leftist agenda Hit List, then our goal is to regulate, strangle & tangle you into bankruptcy). Thank you for your continued support!"
    HotGuns and oneshot like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Well, seeing as it is an automated computer system with limited volume capability based on normal need with extra overhead to deal with busier than normal days.

To build a system capable of withstanding of handling the sheer number of requests on the busiest day of the year is cost prohibitive. I'm not saying upgrading the capability of the current system is not warranted, but it's another expense in the vast array of expenses that government has. One that will not be likely to get additional funding with the current President.

The detriment is, that the buyers NICS requests are not going through. They can be processed later, which causes delays for everyone involved. In Wisconsin it means the 48 hour waiting period for handguns starts later, and no long guns can be taken home right away. Bad for business, yes.

Unfortunately, the NICS system could be used to slow down gun purchases. The good news is, that many government entities are required to use the NICS to do background checks for all employment applications. Ironically, if the system is hampered too much, it will hinder the people in office from hiring staff. So they do have a reason to keep the system running at a certain level of efficiency for personal gains.

This is a very bad sign.

People tried to exercise their 2nd amendment rights by buying guns and the government stopped them from making the purchase because too many people wanted to own guns.

Not good! Not Good At All!
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    This is a very bad sign.

People tried to exercise their 2nd amendment rights by buying guns and the government stopped them from making the purchase because too many people wanted to own guns.

Not good! Not Good At All!
    I agree. They use their own ineptitude as an excuse to ban gun sales... and they got away with it. This will continue to happen.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

Friday night I was dropping off some Christmas baskets at a few of the local gun stores who push business to us.

They were all busy, and all have NICS problems. I overheard one owner telling an employee to choose option 2, which is apparently customer service, and the employee said he got a recording saying that the customer service lines were out of service for the day.

They had several sales pending, and I know it cost the owner money, either through lost business, or because he ordered in pizza for the waiting customers as a way to compensate them for the issue (which wasn't even his fault).
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    "We want to encourage free-enterprise & streamline all areas of *American Small Business, because God knows our economy needs all the stimulus it can get (*unless, of course, you're in an American Small Business that's on our leftist agenda Hit List, then our goal is to regulate, strangle & tangle you into bankruptcy). Thank you for your continued support!"

^^^^^^^^How true^^^^^^^^^^^

The global governments wants everyone working for a "large" company.
    "ISO & QS 9000" ring a bell?
    Want to be a part of the "world trade" you must belong.
    Want to supply someone in major big business?
    You must belong to all these Quality control practices or you are going to get squeezed out.
    They want you to be on the payroll of a big company, so they can track your finances,(no cheating on taxes and such) & not getting paid cash & not reporting tax.
    Why do you suppose big banks are the norm now?
    They want to make it harder for small business to operate.

As an aside : glad I have all the guns I need.
    Now to figure out how to get all I WANT!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Same thing happened to me Friday morning at the largest LGS in Baton Rouge. I plunked down the money, the sales associate couldn't get thru NICS, even tried their Customer Service line and was told that it was down, too. It was 3-4 hours before it was cleared up, no fault of the store. Associate said it seems to happen at random, and that he's seen the system choke for 30 minutes or for half a day.
    Who knows, maybe the NICS system is tied up pushing F&F sales through, against the recommendations of store owners.

NICS there is no other option they own it so who cares if the service is defective they get paid no madder what. In Wisconsin The DOT was well known for long lines hour or more to renew or get fix a issue and it was not a lack of people they had plenty.. They opened it up to some out side contractors over night it went to minutes.
    See the problem.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Just their way of saying "we can do this any time, don't make too loud a noise about your gun rights".
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Yet another reason to purchase face-to-face from private sellers.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Yet another reason to purchase face-to-face from private sellers.
    Also a reason why it needs to become national policy or law that those with a carry permit don't need to go through the NICS process to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    To build a system capable of withstanding of handling the sheer number of requests on the busiest day of the year is cost prohibitive.
    So is the US budget as a whole, that hasn't stopped the government from finding more things to spend money on.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    because he ordered in pizza for the waiting customers as a way to compensate them for the issue (which wasn't even his fault).
    Classy! For the cost of a few pies, he bought a bunch of lifetime customers!

Also a reason why it needs to become national policy or law that those with a carry permit don't need to go through the NICS process to purchase.
    On that we agree. At least in the states where they do a NICS check to issue the permit. Especially if they have an automatic revocation process for CC permits for committing certain crimes like Wisconsin does.

They had several sales pending, and I know it cost the owner money, either through lost business, or because he ordered in pizza for the waiting customers as a way to compensate them for the issue (which wasn't even his fault).
    The irony here is that the sales don't have to be cancelled. They just have to wait for the NICS check to go through. The sales can be complete aside from the check, and once it the NICS check goes through the sale gets the final stamp of approval.

I think we need to use the NICS type system for alcohol purchases. You have a DUI, no buying alcohol for you! I wonder how long it would take to be declared unconstitutional.

I personally think the background check is a waste of time. There should be no special requirements for firearms purchases. You can buy far more dangerous items without any type of check legally.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    NICS there is no other option they own it so who cares if the service is defective they get paid no madder what. In Wisconsin The DOT was well known for long lines hour or more to renew or get fix a issue and it was not a lack of people they had plenty.. They opened it up to some out side contractors over night it went to minutes.
    See the problem.
    The issue with the DMV had to do with state leaders not allowing more staff to be hired. There was never a time the regional DOT locations have been properly staffed for anything but the first hour or two on any given day at best.

I'm not certain what location(s) you went to, but throughout the west-central regions, which include La Crosse, Eau Claire, and Rice Lake the situation you describe doesn't fit reality. Not for the last 17 years anyways.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links