Gun-related violent crimes drop as gun sales soar in Va.

This is a discussion on Gun-related violent crimes drop as gun sales soar in Va. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 11:20 pm | Updated: 8:09 am, Sat Nov 24, 2012. By MARK BOWES Richmond Times-Dispatch Gun-related violent crime in Virginia ...

Thread: Gun-related violent crimes drop as gun sales soar in Va.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.

Gun-related violent crimes drop as gun sales soar in Va.

Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 11:20 pm | Updated: 8:09 am, Sat Nov 24, 2012.
    By MARK BOWES Richmond Times-Dispatch

Gun-related violent crime in Virginia has dropped steadily over the past six years as the sale of firearms has soared to a new record, according to an analysis of state crime data with state records of gun sales.

The total number of firearms purchased in Virginia increased 73 percent from 2006 to 2011. When state population increases are factored in, gun purchases per 100,000 Virginians rose 63 percent.

But the total number of gun-related violent crimes fell 24 percent over that period, and when adjusted for population, gun-related offenses dropped more than 27 percent, from 79 crimes per 100,000 in 2006 to 57 crimes in 2011.

The numbers appear to contradict a long-running popular narrative that more guns cause more violent crime..............

..........One of Virginia's most outspoken gun-rights supporters, Philip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, was not surprised for a different reason.

"My opponents are constantly saying, 'If you got more guns on the street, there's going to be more crime.' It all depends on who has the handgun," Van Cleave said. "As long as it's going into the hands of people like you or me, there's not going to be a problem. Criminals are going to continue to get their guns no matter what."

My Comments: The reporter actually did some real work on this. Read the rest.

Gun-related violent crimes drop as gun sales soar in Va. - Richmond Times-Dispatch: Central Virginia:

2. Remove Ads

Mark Bowes won't be allowed to keep his press pass if he keeps writing stuff like that.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

The opposite - that more guns are causing more crime - cannot be derived from the numbers, he said.

"It's mathematically not possible, because the relationship is a negative relationship - they're moving in the opposite direction," Baker said. "So the only thing it could be is that more guns are causing less crime."

Oh my. No WAY that can be true! It flies in the face of everything I've ever "learned" from the news!
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    The opposite - that more guns are causing more crime - cannot be derived from the numbers, he said.

"It's mathematically not possible, because the relationship is a negative relationship - they're moving in the opposite direction," Baker said. "So the only thing it could be is that more guns are causing less crime."

Oh my. No WAY that can be true! It flies in the face of everything I've ever "learned" from the news!
    That is why, as we know, this will go largely unreported by the MSM.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I will not hold my breath waiting for the media to report these facts.

Quote Originally Posted by ANGLICO View Post
    Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 11:20 pm | Updated: 8:09 am, Sat Nov 24, 2012.
    By MARK BOWES Richmond Times-Dispatch

Gun-related violent crime in Virginia has dropped steadily over the past six years as the sale of firearms has soared to a new record, according to an analysis of state crime data with state records of gun sales.

The total number of firearms purchased in Virginia increased 73 percent from 2006 to 2011. When state population increases are factored in, gun purchases per 100,000 Virginians rose 63 percent.

But the total number of gun-related violent crimes fell 24 percent over that period, and when adjusted for population, gun-related offenses dropped more than 27 percent, from 79 crimes per 100,000 in 2006 to 57 crimes in 2011.

The numbers appear to contradict a long-running popular narrative that more guns cause more violent crime..............

..........One of Virginia's most outspoken gun-rights supporters, Philip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, was not surprised for a different reason.

"My opponents are constantly saying, 'If you got more guns on the street, there's going to be more crime.' It all depends on who has the handgun," Van Cleave said. "As long as it's going into the hands of people like you or me, there's not going to be a problem. Criminals are going to continue to get their guns no matter what."

My Comments: The reporter actually did some real work on this. Read the rest.

Gun-related violent crimes drop as gun sales soar in Va. - Richmond Times-Dispatch: Central Virginia:

Hey funny note on your link at the bottom about Gecko45. There was a guy I worked with recently who was kinda like what this guy sounds like. The stories would just poor out about how he was down in the Panama canal on his buddy's boat and they got attacked by pirates so he takes a rocket launcher from underneath the boat (since he's the only one who knows how to use it) blows the pirates up and saves his buddy. This all happened around the time desert storm was going on. I'm 28 and he's 26 so you do the math. The guy was DEAD SERIOUS about his stories and would get mad when you made fun of him. I'm reading the Gecko45 and it sounds just like Gary!!!

I just had to Hammer the Point!

Just think what would happen in Wash D.C., Camden, NJ, Oakland CA and Chicago if all of the sudden (cue the music) law abiding citizens could carry OC or CC and blow the criminals away.............. (poof... or Bang, if you prefer).

Just saying that your Politician, is not your best friend when it comes to 'Micro-Security', which equals your personal well being and safety. You are only a statistic! Don't be on the wrong side of the Stats!

New study shows gun violence down in Virginia - NBC12.com - Richmond, VA News, Weather, Traffic & Sports

Links