Just keepin tabs on the other side..

This is a discussion on Just keepin tabs on the other side.. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; feel free to do the opposite of what the anti-freedom VACPS request of their "friends" -- as I have Don't know if this fits best ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By linuss

Thread: Just keepin tabs on the other side..

VIP Member

Thumbs down Just keepin tabs on the other side..

feel free to do the opposite of what the anti-freedom VACPS request of their "friends" -- as I have

Don't know if this fits best here or Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion.

In any case, check out:

(
    The Virginia Center for Public Safety)

ACTION ALERT!

Friends of VACPS,

BREAKING: Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK) is attempting to attach a dangerous
    amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act that would allow veterans
    who have been declared mentally incompetent by the U.S. Department of
    Veterans Affairs to own and purchase firearms.

Please call your U.S. Senators IMMEDIATELY at (202) 224-3121 and tell them
    to oppose this amendment.

It is a sickening attempt by the National Rifle Association to sell guns
    at the expense of the safety of veterans who are likely to be struggling
    with depression. We know that there is already a huge increase in veteran
    suicides and many instances of murder/suicide where family members are also
    targeted. To pray on our vulnerable veterans for the sake of a few guns
    sales is morally reprehensible.

Virginia and many other states already have systems in place to allow
    these veterans to petition for restoration of their gun rights once they are
    able to recover from their mental and emotional issues.

We can all help protect our vets and their families by stopping the Coburn
    amendment from being included in this legislation.

Please contact your Senators now!

Andrew Goddard
    President, VACPS

React as you see fit.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

I dont support any citizen losing a constitutional right based on a disability, try taking a paraplegics right to....I dont know, their 1st amendment and you'd see riots.

VIP Member
    Depends on to what extent they deem someone "mentally incompetant"

If this is just a fast and loose label they are going to put on all vets as they are evaluated, then no.

If a vet is definitely determined to be a danger to him/herself and the general public then?????? probably
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    IANAL!

However, as I understand it the VA's process for declaring someone incompetent has virtually no due process protection.

Why not work through the States' process as would a civilian employed doctor?

Does anyone know if the VA has a process for when someone is "cured" / no linger a a danger to him/herself or to others -- such as VCDL was instrumental in getting established in Virginia?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member
    I think that Sen. Coburn is right to raise the due process argument. The vet should have due process with the onus on the state to tie the diagnosis to the loss of right. And chief policy officer for Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, Tom Tarantino, makes a good point that "the current restrictions might even be a disincentive for veterans to seek needed treatment". The current policy is too broad a restrictive brush over an inanimate gun object. We owe our veterans their fair day in court.
    The know-it-all's give so little support for doing right by our veterans that Sen Coburn is dropping his attempt to amend and says he'll fight it in veteran's bills instead of the major defense budget ($631 billion defense) bill for our military transitioning from war to peace.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Does anyone know if the VA has a process for when someone is "cured" / no linger a a danger to him/herself or to others -- such as VCDL was instrumental in getting established in Virginia?
    There are about 9,000 vets added to the gun ban list every year for the last 14 years. There is an appeal process whereby a labeled veteran can bring new evidence or petition the VA for restoration of firearm rights (that should never have been taken) by proving absence of threat to public safety. This all smacks of a violation of principles of liberty for which our vets fought.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

. To pray on our vulnerable veterans for the sake of a few guns
    sales is morally reprehensible.
    They're against the 2nd amendment AND the first?!
    Edward7 likes this.

Links