Change to MI's conceal law

This is a discussion on Change to MI's conceal law within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; One can only hope here in MI, but I'm not holding my breath. Michigan Gun Laws May Change MLive readers weigh in on proposed changes ...

Thread: Change to MI's conceal law

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

It's a dual edged bill. It gives some, and takes some.

Will the pros gained overweigh the loss of OC rights?

I like the "professional" claiming the wild west will happen. It has never happened yet. All emotion, no facts. The same old argument based on emotion. The media loves their parrots.

VIP Member
    Sheriff Wriggelswoth is an idiot and I don't understand WHY Ingham County residents keep re-electing him.

Some say it is one step forward and two steps back. I don't agree with that, but then I don't OC very much unless I am out in the woods or on private property. I beleive it is a good step toward ending PFZ's. After a few years of the Enhanced CPL with no "wild west" events, and we may be able to eradicate PFZ's from state law completely.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    I am not sure how it takes something away. If I was reading it correctly, it will allow CC in places that are now off limits to OC & CC. Sure, it would be nice to get OC as well, but this seems like a step in the direction or elimination of gun-free zones.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Elimination of PFZs is worth any perceived downside in my opinion. MI residents PLEASE email your representative to support this!!

What is the specialized training, and how would it effect those with out of state permits who are visiting?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

NMB
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    What is the specialized training, and how would it effect those with out of state permits who are visiting?
    This is a great question ^

I live in New Mexico and have a permit from there. I was born and raised in Ann Arbor, MI. I return to visit family and friends once or twice a year, usually bringing a pistol with me. I wonder how this would affect me?
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Interesting how even here we've had the discussion about how gun bans are necessary because Joe Bubba can't be trusted to behave responsibly. Now it seems that MI is going to allow citizens to say something to the effect of, "I recognize the importance of gun safety and the take the responsibility of carry seriously" and in exchange remove restrictions. With luck, something good may come of this akin to states going shall issue.

With respect to how that would affect reciprocity, I can see three possibilities: 1) it only applies to MI residents who have taken the MI approved courses, 2) it applies to all permit holders who have gone to MI and taken an MI approved course, perhaps in conjunction with non resident permits, 3) the advanced training course is available to a wider audience, for example a certified NRA course, and anyone who has taken it gets the restrictions waved. I anticipate that for simplicity if nothing else, it would be limited to MI residents.

Links