Michigan maintains background checks for handgun sales - Page 2

Michigan maintains background checks for handgun sales

This is a discussion on Michigan maintains background checks for handgun sales within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Having just moved from Florida this past year I'm still a little confused about MI gun laws, hence I chose to wait until I received ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Michigan maintains background checks for handgun sales

Having just moved from Florida this past year I'm still a little confused about MI gun laws, hence I chose to wait until I received my MI CPL before looking for my next firearm. I'm not against registering guns I buy now as a MI resident but having to register those I purchased as a FL resident seems a little redundant. That being said I grew up on Long Island, New York in a family that was thankfully pro-firearms and I have nothing but contempt for his Lordship Bloomberg. The man is a lying, manipulative, heel.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    all states should set up a system so that private gun-sellers could do NICS checks on folks they want to sell guns to.

who wants to take a chance that they are about to sell a gun to a convicted rapist or someone who just broke out of prison?

I sure don't.
    I'm all for it EXCEPT that it's going to cost me $25 every time I want to buy a gun FTF. As soon as all FTF sales are illegal the price of a background check will double. I guarantee it.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I'm all for it EXCEPT that it's going to cost me $25 every time I want to buy a gun FTF. As soon as all FTF sales are illegal the price of a background check will double. I guarantee it.
    I propose the Feds make a website for NICS checks.

you punch in the person's SS # or drivers license #, and they respond with a "yes, ok to purchase gun" or "no, not ok to purchase gun".

if the purchase is denied, the person who wants to buy the gun can call a number and find out why.....if he doesn't already know.

Re: Michigan maintains background checks for handgun sales

Pythius: AFAIK no state prevents you from transfering your gun via an ffl and many ffls offer this service. What makes you think some new law or system needs to be put into place?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    Why can't anyone print out an application have the buyer fill it out and call it in just like gun shops do?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I think you have to be registered as an FFL dealer and they give you an ID number/code to use??

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    In my area if anyone charges more then $5. for a BGC then they are ripping you off. I'm guessing FFL's pay the same price everywhere???

I'm not sure what their actual cost is but the normal going rate in my area is $5.00

Just like it can be any-where's from $25. including the BGC for a transfer to as much as $60. luckily the LGS 4-miles down the road from me is $25. he's a very honest man and that's why we're on first name bases cuz I'm in there about 10-times a month, if for nothing else but to say HI!! I buy 99.9% of my stuff from him because he is an honest person and he'll even match WW ammo prices if he has it on his shelve!

I have no problem with BGC's, if you have nothing to hide and your an upstanding responsible citizen then why argue the point. If you have a clean record then let it go and let it be done. I wouldn't want some one with a criminal background being able to buy a firearm. If you don't like it then you should have behaved yourselves and not have gotten in trouble with the Law, what you don't know right from wrong? You think you're above the law? Now flat out full registrations listing all of your possessions could cause a brouhaha someday. But checking on a criminal past is entirely different.

If you can't do the time don't do the crime, and continue to pay the price for your wrongful actions.

Re: Michigan maintains background checks for handgun sales

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    I have no problem with BGC's, if you have nothing to hide and your an upstanding responsible citizen then why argue the point. If you have a clean record then let it go and let it be done. I wouldn't want some one with a criminal background being able to buy a firearm..
    There has been talk of including the terrorist watch list with the NICS check. You know, a secret list that you have no way of knowing if you are on it and no sure way of getting yourself removed if there has been a mistake. Still think it's acceptable to leave your Constitutional rights up to some faceless beurocrat?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links