Michigan maintains background checks for handgun sales

This is a discussion on Michigan maintains background checks for handgun sales within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Bloomberg Lauds Mich. Decision In Favor Of Background Checks For Guns « CBS New York interesting case. discuss....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Michigan maintains background checks for handgun sales

Michigan maintains background checks for handgun sales

2. Remove Ads

It simply bans private sales without involving a FFL dealer, which is ridiculous unless you're a gun store. If I want to sell a piece of my property I have every right to do so, and laws like this don't make us any safer. States that don't have such requirements are no less safe than those that do. The only difference is that you have been deprived of yet another piece of your property rights, and it is too bad Michigan did not repeal it. It was not long ago that there were no background checks at all, and the country was not mired in third world anarchy then. It's time to drop the drama-queen arguments against your freedoms and let laws like this go the way of the dodo.
    atctimmy likes this.

I don't have a problem with background checks in order to sell a gun.

The last thing I want to do is possibly sell a gun to a convicted felon, or a guy wanted for murder...or a guy who escaped prison.

Re: Michigan maintains background checks for handgun sales

In Iowa, you must have a Sheriff issued permit to purchase handguns, or a permit to carry weapons, in order to purchase a hand gun; whether from an individual or a licensed dealer.

It's not a bad situation, really. Though I don't care for it, it does sort of assure that you aren't selling to someone who wouldn't pass NICS check.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Lead Moderator
    The law as stands in MI requires one to obtain a pistol purchase permit before buying a pistol. No gun shop is needed to be included in the transaction. Having a CCW permit allows one to purchase with out a prior obtained permit , however a registration card is still required to be filed with the Sheriff's dept.
    All pistols must be registered to the owner to be legal. While we may have some silly restriction ( no SBR's, pistol registration ) MI is getting better every year. Suppresor ownership is now legal and pushes to lift gun free zones are being considered.
    Bloomberg is just talking out his rear as usual, maybe some of the downstate dems agree with him, much less so the farther north you travel.
    RoadRunner71 and Aiden528 like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If there's a way to truely prevent criminals from obtaining firearms, I'm all for it. Otherwise, all registration/purchase permit procedures are a hinderence, an infringement, and hogwash.
    SFury, joker1 and ccw9mm like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    The law as stands in MI requires one to obtain a pistol purchase permit before buying a pistol. No gun shop is needed to be included in the transaction. Having a CCW permit allows one to purchase with out a prior obtained permit , however a registration card is still required to be filed with the Sheriff's dept.
    All pistols must be registered to the owner to be legal. ...
    Am I understanding this correctly? "All pistols must be registered to the owner to be legal"? Are you saying the state if Michigan maintains a record of who owns all handguns in the state?

I have never lived in a state that requires firearms registration, so please forgive my incredulity, but I find this to be unacceptable.

What about someone moving into the state of MI.; are they required to register their firearms?
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

If Bloomberg is fer it, I'm agin it. With respect to SB59 which would lift gun free zones (provided additional training) aren't we approaching a year that it emerged from committee with a favorable recommendation? I'm not disagreeing that Michigan is moving forward just wondering what the hold-up is.
    1 old 0311 likes this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Am I understanding this correctly? "All pistols must be registered to the owner to be legal"? Are you saying the state if Michigan maintains a record of who owns all handguns in the state?

I have never lived in a state that requires firearms registration, so please forgive my incredulity, but I find this to be unacceptable.

What about someone moving into the state of MI.; are they required to register their firearms?
    Yes and yes (if handgun) to both of your questions. While it may be unacceptable, it is currently the law.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    If Bloomberg is fer it, I'm agin it. With respect to SB59 which would lift gun free zones (provided additional training) aren't we approaching a year that it emerged from committee with a favorable recommendation? I'm not disagreeing that Michigan is moving forward just wondering what the hold-up is.
    I suspect they are going to dither until the end of this session and then we get to start all over again next year. There is good information over at Michigan Gun Owners: SB 0059 Eliminate gun boards; go to SoS - MGO Community Forum
    rocky likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Fellow Michigan people. I could have swore that it was orders that all records regarding the registration of hand guns in Michigan were to be destroyed. Am I wrong in that? It has been a minute since I have purchased a gun in Michigan but I remember reading something about that somewhere. I maintain my CPL and drivers license in Michigan for tax purposes but have not bought a gun in Michigan since I got my CPL.

Ex Member
    One more law won't stop even one more crime.

all states should set up a system so that private gun-sellers could do NICS checks on folks they want to sell guns to.

who wants to take a chance that they are about to sell a gun to a convicted rapist or someone who just broke out of prison?

I sure don't.

If I ever sold any firearm "PRIVATELY TO ANYONE".
    I would go through an FFL to transfer ownership to them so it is now on the record that; I NO LONGER OWN OR AM RESPONSIBLE FOR, that firearm.

Even if I lived in an area that it wasn't necessary to do so......PERIOD

You never ever never ever ever know were it could end up or how it could get there or what it may be used for. It could get stolen, lost, given or lent to someone, or resold and I for one would not take that chance!!!

When I say ANYONE I mean ANYONE Friend, Family, and for sure any Strangers I do not know!!!!

It's a Tuesday Night about 10:45pm your getting ready for sleepy-time when there's a
    knock-knock-knock at your door.....& ah ding-dong as the doorbell chimes in too

you look out the peephole & it's two-uniforms sportin badges
    you cautiously open said door
    they address you................
    hello...we understand you own a blank-ah-dee-blank firearm....well it was used in a < insert incident here >....we need you to comedown to the station for integration!

you retort
    Oh that old thing....I sold it to someone about 2-yrs ago!

They reply
    Prove it! Records show it belongs to YOU.....lets go for a ride!!

If someone ever wants to buy a firearm from me and doesn't want to go through an FFL to transfer ownership and pay any fees then too bad for you

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar

Re: Michigan maintains background checks for handgun sales

Why can't anyone print out an application have the buyer fill it out and call it in just like gun shops do?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links