I saw first hand what happens when people don't care enough/bother to vote

This is a discussion on I saw first hand what happens when people don't care enough/bother to vote within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was at my LGS today, I shoot once a week. It's a good size shop that also rents guns from the usual Glocks, Sigs, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: I saw first hand what happens when people don't care enough/bother to vote

Ex Member

I was at my LGS today, I shoot once a week. It's a good size shop that also rents guns from the usual Glocks, Sigs, Rugers, S&W's, and also 6-8 full auto weapons. While there two guys came in, one I recognized his friend I didn't. I overheard his friend TOTALLY amazed at what he saw there. Turns out he was on vacation from England and said he remembers when you could own, and shoot, guns there. I offered to let the Limey shoot my 2 guns I brought, a 22/45 and a S&W 3" 64. They declined, wanting to rent the 'real cool' stuff.
    Though pictures are not allowed there, interferes with closed circuit cameras, they made an exception and let him take some pics he could take home. I wondered how many more years WE will be able to own, and shoot. With less, and less, voting in each election, and also joining the NRA, it appears the 'lazy/don't cares' are going to be the deciding voice for shooters and bury us all.
    joker1, msgt/ret, ANGLICO and 7 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I agree 1 old 0311.

All we can hope for is to educate the young'uns, and hope they heed the words of caution, and realize what has happened in certain other countries where they "never thought it could happen"
    oakchas likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

There is a tremendous amount of data indicating that gun ownership and use is growing rapidly. As more people take their rights and responsibilities seriously they will be much less willing to allow those rights to be taken away. This is part of why it is so important for the gun community to be more receptive to diversity in its ranks and move away from being a hard core conservative only issue.

Re: I saw first hand what happens when people don't care enough/bother to vote

Wow, I liked every post in this thread so far....

Lets not let it happen here, folks...
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

I agree with everything you said except the part about the NRA. I think you would be better off spending your money some sort of interpersonal communication training so you can get better at explaining our side of the argument to those people who are willing to have an open mind and listen. The NRA supported the Bush-Ashcroft plan called Project Safe Neighborhoods which goes against the 10th Amendment and gives the Federal government more unnecessary control.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Wow, I liked every post in this thread so far....

Lets not let it happen here, folks...

Some of us old timers remember when England slowly started their gun grab. Final results is a DRAMATIC increase in gun violence, bad guys didn't turn them in, and something like 200-300% increase in home invasions. BG's KNOW the middle class obeys the laws so they had nothing to fear breaking into homes.
    Australia did EXACTLY the same thing with EXACTLY the same results.

Hate to sound like Sarah Connor but I can see tomorrow and it ain't good.
    oneshot likes this.

Thumbs up

Good post! I have heard so much the past few weeks about first timers "panic buying" because so and so restriction may be coming. While I wholeheartedly agree that the more responsible new owners the better, if they aren't willing to stand up and fight for their rights then we'll all lose. While I feel that the sheer number of gun owners here compared to other countries makes a wide scale "gun grab" unrealistic in the near future, I wouldn't rule out a continual erosion of rights. A new law here and there, and in a generation or two we would have no 2nd amendment rights at all. It's up to all of us to fight against the sensationalist media pieces that pick on gun owners while letting murderers off the hook (Exhibit A: the NFL murder suicide last week). I'm working on my part...just last weekend convinced 3 friends to stop procrastinating and get their FOIDs so we can go shooting together and they can see what the sport is about in a fun and safe environment.

I hate spam, I hate non stop ads from promoters. That said what I've seen every time I've been to Front Sight in Nevada is 800-1000 students PER WEEK going through the various courses there and getting a really good education. For all his bluster, Dr. Piazza is doing more to educate Americans in the safe and effective use of firearms than most of the other schools combined. Are the other schools good? You bet, but Front Sight has the numbers to make a real difference. And no, I don't work for them.

I had a "friend" tell me that the fight is over and we don't have anything tho fear in regards to guns being taken. Could not believe my ears. So I enlightened him a bit. I think these are the complacent ones that may sway one way or the other. Made me think of a movie quote from the Usual Suspects "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist" Kaiser Sose.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

With less, and less, voting in each election, and also joining the NRA, it appears the 'lazy/don't cares' are going to be the deciding voice for shooters and bury us all.
    Politicians do not formulate policy on how many vote (they are already in office so they checked that block), they care about how many REGISTERED voters their are. That is their audience. Dpending which reference you use voter registration is up.

As stated earlier, gun ownership appears to be up though it is an estimate since there is no registration.

As far as the NRA-it is not a lack if interest in folks not joining, it is a choice being made by at least 22 percent of members if this forum indicated by a recent poll. I won't rehash the reasons why, they are well stated in the the other thread.

EDIT: One other thing about gun ownership and voting. Just because one owns a gun does not mean that is the number one priority in voting. My niece is a gun toting lesbian as well as 2 others I know in college. The voted for Obama because they want full equality for gays (marriage and other things) and that out weighed their feelings on the second A. I know of many Hispanics that own guns that voted for Obama because they did not like the Republicans stance on immigration and what to do with kids that have been here for 20 years.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I agree about the NRA. They tried to blame Massachusetts' permanent assault rifle ban on a local organization, but it was Romney who signed it with a big fake smile on his face. Instead of pointing that out, the NRA tried to rewrite history to justify support for a candidate who has already done damage with gun control. And how do i support a group where Ted Nugent is the most vocal board member? Also with the amount of liberals buying up guns right now it probably doesnt advance the cause to completely alienate that group of gun owners

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    There is a tremendous amount of data indicating that gun ownership and use is growing rapidly. As more people take their rights and responsibilities seriously they will be much less willing to allow those rights to be taken away. This is part of why it is so important for the gun community to be more receptive to diversity in its ranks and move away from being a hard core conservative only issue.
    Well put Noway. A closed-minded one sided braintrust is not a braintrust at all.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    I had a "friend" tell me that the fight is over and we don't have anything tho fear in regards to guns being taken. Could not believe my ears. So I enlightened him a bit. I think these are the complacent ones that may sway one way or the other. Made me think of a movie quote from the Usual Suspects "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist" Kaiser Sose.

^^^^^^^^^^^The body count is barely over in Conn.^^^^^^^^^^

and the White House is already talking about "doing something about it",

Article here;
    Tearful Obama calls for action after shooting - Yahoo! News

"As a country, we have been through this too many times," Obama said. "We're going to have to come together and take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this, regardless of the politics."
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    The body count is barely over in Conn and the White House is already talking about "doing something about it",

From Obama's speach:"As a country, we have been through this too many times," Obama said. "We're going to have to come together and take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this, regardless of the politics."
    Of course the natural inclination is to interpret this to mean the same old class AWB and other useless measures. Given his perceived position on gun laws, this is an easy conclusion to draw. Most self defense and pro-2A supporters realize the obvious folly in this approach and we discuss it frequently with mention of things like criminal protection zones, magic barriers, etc. At the same time, the goal of the rest of the population is equally obvious. As many citizens of that town in Conn said, "this was a town where we FELT safe". Again, most, if not all, members of this forum realize that there is a difference between feeling safe and being safe and many would probably also agree that what the townspeople really want is to be safe, not just perceive themselves as safe.

Therefore, it is incumbent upon us, as a pro-2A community, to do our utmost to get "meaningful action" to be in the right direction. Instead of allowing this to be used as an opportunity to further restrict the right of the upstanding, we should push for and support the elimination of criminal empowerment zones. In response to this recent tragedy, Mental health experts were on the news saying that in hind sight it is possible to analyze every detail and event that drove this person to commit this horrific act, but it is impossible to extend that analysis into a means to predict and identify who may perform such an act in the future." Also, mounting evidence shows that those who commit these atrocities deliberately go where they know they will be less likely to encounter resistance and when the game is changed such that resistance is a possibility these places are less targeted.

The bottom line is that there is no law that can be passed, no restriction that can be placed on the normal citizen that will prevent these types of occurrences. Security is an active and continual process, one that requires action, not meaningless policies and procedures. Apparently, the state of Michigan gets this concept, We need to make sure that the Obama administrations understands this too. (This thread is already running and I am not linking as a means to start a discussion on it, only to reference an example response other than more prohibitions)

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^The body count is barely over in Conn.^^^^^^^^^^

and the White House is already talking about "doing something about it",

Article here;
    Tearful Obama calls for action after shooting - Yahoo! News

"As a country, we have been through this too many times," Obama said. "We're going to have to come together and take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this, regardless of the politics."
    And you would expect any other President to say less in the aftermath of a tragedy......Sometimes it just isn't all about Obama......
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links