Defensive Carry banner

The safety illusion of "no guns" signs

1K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  suntzu 
#1 ·
With 12 days remaining until Christmas, perhaps Santa can bring some common sense to the self-deluded people who believe that a “guns prohibited” sign at the doorway of a shopping mall, big box store, supermarket or restaurant is going to prevent a lunatic or angry ex-boyfriend or an obsessed stalker from walking in and causing mayhem.

Delusional thinking behind

Or maybe not...I develop temporary blindness when I pass by one of these stupid signs. What about the rest of you?

#3 ·
Only an idiot would think that No Gun Signs effect the criminal.
One seldom sees signs in FL...they have no force of law, so they are a waste of time.IMHO

#7 ·
The only place I've seen them in FL is the Toys-r-Us chain. Anything they've got I can get at WM--with no signs.

Reactions: mprp and BlueHawk76
#5 ·
In Texas if it isn't a 30.06 sign it doesn't carry any weight of law. These are very specific signs in form and size and color. BGs don't give a hoot about signs. That's why they feel safe in places where guns are banned

#8 ·
Such signs give a false sense of security not unlike the Department of Homeland Security......

#9 ·
I agree. Idiots..........

We are better off left alone and to be allowed to carry...............................

Anyone of you been to inner city PHilli, NY, Chicago or LA lately.................. Only the criminals have 'guns' there.... somewhat against the strict laws against them having those guns........... DUH!

#10 ·
IM me if you think this is viable...... I will fund the servers for a Anti-Anti Bloomberg site............. need to figure this out..... We could make up targets with his face............. OK Mods.... Did not mean to make this Political...........

#11 ·
Well written, Dave. Thank you, for the continuing good work. :yup:

Like you, I'm not much moved by such messages of "No guns" implying safety and security. It's false, obviously so. I can almost hear the chuckling and laughter of criminals each time I pass such pretty signs. About the only thing I really feel when seeing such signs is a twinge of sadness for anyone who actually believes such pieces of plastic/metal are going to provide meaningful safety against life's realities.

#14 ·
“In the Beginning “ …… (Moody Blues)
GC = great computer

Man : I think I am ………….therefore , I am……. I think
GC : Of course you are, my bright little star ……
I’ve miles and miles of files … pretty files of your forefather’s fruit ……….
And now to suit our Great Computer ….. your magnetic ink

Man : I’m more than that ….. I know I am….. at least, I think I must be

Voice : There ya go man……. Keep as cool as you can….
Face piles of trials with smiles ………….
It riles them to believe …. You perceive the web they weave
Keep on thinking free……

#15 ·
^^ Ahhh, the Moody Blues ... back when what we were smokin' was what they were smokin'. Illusions are such a comfort.

Great "illusions" reference, there, Eagle. Love it.

For you young pups, the Moody Blues were ... Aw, never mind. :tongue: :embarassed:

#19 ·
Accepting the illusion of safety is a human fallacy. We want to believe. When someone makes a promise, even when it contains no substance, we reach out and embrace it.

...unless you are a realist. And I never met a gun owner that wasn't.

Reactions: ValpoHawkeye
#20 ·
1. We, the honest, law abiding citizens are the only ones following the sign's instructions. Or are we?

2. If you see the sign and take your business elsewhere, follow up with a letter or email to management or ownership. The card isn't enough. You don't know if it was tossed by some part-timer or shown to the boss. And don't think that you can do nothing at all. When their revenues are down, they will blame the economy- not the anti- gun policy for their lack of business.

A bit off track, but this goes for every aspect of business. Had a bad meal? Bad service? Don't just leave a small tip. Call the manager the next day and tell them you'll not be back and why. As a business manager, I can't be in the store all the time and I appreciate the feedback. If you just go away, I have no idea why. And far too many people do just that - they say "I'm never going there again. It sucked" but don't tell the business why they left. Of course they won't change what's wrong. They don't know what's wrong!

#21 ·
A very rare few people truly beleive that these signs will prevent a BG from bringing a gun in. Almost all people who put signs up are for idealogical reasons, liability issues (perceived or ture), and because some feel that not every person is competent carrying a weapon legally as proven by the ND's and AD's we hear about all the time.

Useless debate IMO because we all agree on this subject (that is why people post signs, not if they should or not)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.