Michigan House Passes SB 59 - CC Allowed in Pistol Free Zones

This is a discussion on Michigan House Passes SB 59 - CC Allowed in Pistol Free Zones within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Heard this news on the radio this morning. Apparently Gov. Snyder has said he will sign it. As a concession to obtain his signature open-carry ...

Thread: Michigan House Passes SB 59 - CC Allowed in Pistol Free Zones

Heard this news on the radio this morning. Apparently Gov. Snyder has said he will sign it. As a concession to obtain his signature open-carry will no longer be allowed in those areas. People are not happy about the restriction on open carry. Here's the link but I did not read through the 79 pages.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...1-SCB-0059.pdf

Apparently it's a bit early but I did manage to find an article: Concealed weapons could be allowed in 'gun-free zones' under bill headed to Michigan Gov. Snyder | MLive.com
    Last edited by Caertaker; December 14th, 2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Added article
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Excellent.. although I did read that there are A LOT of other aspects of this bill that arent so hot.. like the way it delegates who has control over issuing the permits, leaving all the power with the local sheriff...I'd have to look it up again.. but I know that this bill started off with good intentions, and while we got that.. the CC in PFZs.. congress added a bunch of crap parts too.

I wonder how the additional training will work.. what the avg costs are going to be... it says 8 addtional hours and about 100 rounds downrange.. I imagine the content to be mostly legal.

I am happy to hear this, although I don't agree with all of it. I don't think that I need 8 additional hours of training in order to be able to carry in a place that is covered by the same laws that I learned about in the first 8 hours of training. They need to up the initial training to 15-20 hours and say 250+ rounds downrange in order to get your CPL and include carrying in the "pistol free zones". I know that I am confident and comfortable carrying around a loaded weapon and the responsibility that comes with it, however I am not all that confident in everyone that has the current training.

We aren't out of the woods yet. The Gov. has to sign it and it wouldn't surprise me if he does the pocket veto thing due to the shooting yesterday. Rick is not a pro gun governor. He isn't anti gun but I don't think he's our friend.

As you probably know by now our Governor vetoed the bill. Here is the response I recieved in case anyone is interested:

Dear Caertaker (lol):

Thank you for your recent correspondence sent to my office.

Senate Bill 59 offered a number of wise and necessary reforms to Michigan's weapon laws. The bill provided for an enhanced Concealed Pistol License that would require additional training. It would streamline the Concealed Pistol License process by eliminating county gun boards and vesting issuing authority with the sheriff.

More important, SB 59 looked at a feature of Michigan law that needs fixing - Michigan's open carry law. The law currently prohibits a concealed pistol license holder from carrying a concealed weapon in a "pistol-free zone," which includes a school, a day care center, a sport stadium, a bar, a church, a hospital, an entertainment facility, and a college classroom or dormitory. Ironically, current law does not prevent a concealed pistol license holder from openly carrying a pistol at these places.

My original hope with Senate Bill 59 was to reach a compromise by prohibiting the open carry of pistols in the above-mentioned pistol-free zones in exchange for lifting the prohibition on the carrying of concealed weapons in these zones -- subject to the approval of the public or private property owners.

The resulting bill only went part way in achieving that goal. The bill would allow private property owners to prohibit a person from carrying a concealed pistol on their private property. It permits certain universities and colleges to adopt an ordinance prohibiting the carrying of a concealed pistol. Unfortunately, the bill did not allow public schools, day care centers, or public hospitals to prohibit persons from carrying concealed weapons on their premises. For that reason, I have vetoed Senate Bill 59.

I believe it is important that these public institutions have clear legal authority to ban weapons from their premises: Each is entrusted with the care of a vulnerable population and should have the authority to determine whether its mission would be enhanced by the addition of concealed weapons.
    This conversation is likely to continue over the coming months. I hope you'll continue to share your comments and concerns with my office.

Sincerely,

Rick Snyder
    Governor
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Sponsored Links