Now is ABSOLUTELY the time to talk about gun control!

This is a discussion on Now is ABSOLUTELY the time to talk about gun control! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Gun control? Nah... Now is the time for a discussion on how to get street level mental health programs properly funded. ... The problem with ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Now is ABSOLUTELY the time to talk about gun control!

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar

Re: Now is ABSOLUTELY the time to talk about gun control!

Gun control? Nah...

Now is the time for a discussion on how to get street level mental health programs properly funded.

The problem with the world is grown-ups behaving like unsupervised children.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blanco64 View Post
    As in, IT DOESN'T WORK!

And yes, the event that compelled me to post this is because of what happened in Newtown today and the comments by the current White House Press Secretary.

Gun control as spelled out in the Constitution is all we need. Some may say I'm going to the extreme here, but continuing to compromise our 2A rights has gotten us to where we are today.

I finally went and got CC'd so that I could protect myself and my family from events like Columbine, Virginia Tech, Aurora, and now Newtown, only to find out during the training that there are almost more places I CAN'T carry than CAN. And guess where I feel most vulnerable?

It absolutely sickens me to know that so many of the places we need to go every day in order to function in our society leave us completely unprotected. My choice is to "carrry and risk going to jail, or getting fired" (which I have no intention of doing), or leaving myself at the mercy of someone who really isn't too concerned about going to jail for what he's about to do. How do I compete with that?

Looks like the next step in my self-protection evolution is to begin lobbying my elected officials to enact "common-sense gun laws", which are quite a bit different than the "anti's" definition.

This is not a political discussion, it's a Constitutional / inalienable rights discussion.
    Very well put......
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Well said. This is a mental health issue. It needs to be that when the time comes. Now is the time for mourning and support. The only anger I have felt is against those pushing agendas. Like some have mentioned "they" never let a tragedy go to waste. It is time to be the bigger people. Our time will come, I promise, and it comes often.

Be caring, be compassionate, pray if you do that, and be a good person. It is what we all can do to show that it is the person that made this happen. I feel empty. I watched my oldest sing in his Christmas pageant today and it took every ounce of my being to smile and not break down after hearing of this.

Be the change you wish to see in others.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    Unless the school has locked doors, he could have just walked in. With his mom teaching there, he probably knew what, if any security they had in place.
    Probably shot the people at the front check in desk first I believe they stated that the principle was also shot. In the coming days or weeks we will learn more from the incident commander as to how they think it unfolded.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    How do we remedy the almost 17,000 non firearm murders that was posted by the FBI

Now is ABSOLUTELY the time to talk about gun control!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    How do we remedy the almost 17,000 non firearm murders that was posted by the FBI
    This way...data from the SAF. There are 1.2M defensive gun uses per year. Once suicide is removed, there are only 11,000 homicides.

Mass shootings prevented by use of guns (civilian)
    http://www.volokh.com/2012/12/14/do-...mass-shooters/

FBI UCR 2011 all violent crimes are down again ( a decade long trend)
    http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2012.../crimes_061112

To keep it in perspective

1992 Tot Pop. 255m. Murders Tot. 24,000

2011 Tot Pop. 311m. Murder Tot. 14,000

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Stormin1155 likes this.

These mass shooting and plain shootings(for that matter) have nothing to do with guns. Sadly it has to do with the mind and therein lies the dilemma. How do you make a law to control the mind. Unless someone displays/says a desire to harm them self's or others there is not a lot that anyone can do. Finding a solution to the problem is going to harder than anything America has ever tackled. There is a possibility there is no solution to the problem. I hope not.

America has had hoards of serial killers throughout our history that did not use guns. Among others Jeffery Dahmer did not use guns. Serial killers and mass shooting people have the same problem, the mind not what they used to kill.

One thing I am certain of banning weapons or attempting to impose more restrictions than those already imposed(most of not all are unconstitutional) by the federal/state governments is not the answer. Sadly the "theys" will go after banning/restricting guns in order to give the illusion of safety rather than attempt to solve the real problem.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

First: No doubt all our thoughts and prayers go out to all those traumatized by this senseless acts of violence that took place at the Elementary School in Connecticut. I canít even begin to imagine the pain and sorrow of the parents, families, friends, and coworkers that lost their loved ones.

Second: In mid-sentence, the antiís have found it necessary to monopolize on reinforcing their anti gun agendas, while demoralizing these horrid acts

The antiís canít resist taking advantage of these poor victimized people, and stir the emotions of those that agree with the antiís objective of totalism gun control, and simply let them grieve in peace!

They have to shove a mic in their sadden face and ask: ďHow does this make you feel?Ē How the hell do you think they feel? Then the commentator adds ďIf we had stricter gun-control this wouldnít have happened?Ē Shows how ignorant some people can be. But isnít that one of the requirement of being an anti gun supporter?

Yes, some of us may feel it is not the proper time to try to voice 2A support and that is because WE are sympathetic to those poor people victimized by such an unthinkable tragedy.

But the antiís will grasp any opportunity to feed off a macabre event as the one that took place today! They donít care about nothing but their own objectives. They will attack while emotions run high in their favor to classify their agenda.

So yes, it may be hard to voice your support for our 2A Rights with such saddened hearts about. But the antiís are going to take a swift knee jerk advantage regardless of it being morally right or not!

The things that are taking place behind the scenes right now are not, Iím afraid, in favor of our 2A Rights. So is it a moral time right now to try to defend our 2A Rights? Maybe not, but, if we donít we will lose whatever ground we have to the antiís because they are jumping all over this ghastly event to promote their agenda.

So yes, we too need to support out views as well, but gingerly so as not to come off as how they like to label us asÖÖÖÖ..a bunch ah gun-nuts; too which I personally feel offended by!

Quote Originally Posted by Maximpactguns View Post
    And being armed with 2 handguns and an Ar-15!!!!
    Where do you get he used an AR15 all I've seen reported was 2 handguns that were registered to his Mom
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

More people die of preventable causes every day than a years worth of gun violence including Suicides, bud guy vs. bad guy, police shooting, legitimate SD, and accidental shootings. Even people killed in traffic accidents by a driver that was specifically instructed by their doctor that they need to stop driving until their medical condition is controlled outnumber "gun violence".

The "Protect the Children" mantra is getting obscene. How about "Start parenting your spawn"? Teach them that you don't climb the fence to play in the pool, or play in the decorative fountain in the courtyard of your apartment complex. Don't leave the under 8y/o unattended. Recognize that your defiant teenager is a wee bit past a "phase" and do something about it rather than hoping it will go away on it's own.

It's not the movies, video games, or culture. It is flat out lack of parenting and discipline. Let's put the blame squarely where it needs to sit.

How many Federal and State laws are on the books? Lets enforce them instead of making the law abiding citizen that would never do such things have to deal with more illegal restrictions.

This country has much bigger things that must be focused on than gun control. Budget, Unemployment, Homeless, Families living in poverty, Corporate and Political corruption, Immigration...Never mind the US being the UN's "Go to guy" and sticking our noses in other countries problems (we really need to start billing them - contract labor rules apply ~ Time and materials).

I am horrified by the incidents. Warning signs were there, nobody did anything to prevent it.

I have a bad feeling that if they do an outright ban/roundup, the prison population is going to be dominated by prior law abiding citizens refusing to give up their 2A in a non violent manner, rather than the current drug offender population.

Yes, we all need to write/call our state and federal representatives and let them know that this is a road they should not travel.

The AWB did not work for the first time (FBI proven study), Gun free(ish) states have the highest number of violent crime and ironically gun violence. Hell, the Brady Bunch already has the stats to prove it - as biased as they are against gun ownership. Nevermind other countries that have put complete gun bans in place.

Laws only impact those that obey the laws. A person intent on violence is not going to be deterred by words on paper. Even if they somehow managed to round up every law abiding citizens firearms, there will still be millions available in the possession of criminals (prior to the ban). A whole new niche in the black market. Going to see all the guns that went to Mexico getting smuggled back across the border into the hands of said criminals.

If James Holmes did not have the guns, he clearly was going to blow up the place.

I would wager the CT shooter if he did not have access to mom's guns, would have waited for her to come outside with her kids for recess and plow his car into the playground to run her over.

The Oregon shooter stole his gun.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by blanco64 View Post
    It absolutely sickens me to know that so many of the places we need to go every day in order to function in our society leave us completely unprotected.
    Ditto.

Though there are plenty of steps a person can take. But when it comes right down to it, criminalizing locations and practical defensive/prep steps by citizens does nothing but leave us no longer able to effectively withstand such violent attacks.

Disarming victims doesn't decrease the number of victims. At best, it only enables criminals and improves their chances of maximizing casualties and success of their crimes.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

And the realistic reality of this - They are talking about disarming this countries last line of defense - a heritage this country was founded and established on, and one of very few countries on this rock that has not been invaded in the last 120+ years. We're due.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

The most horrific crime here is that if the people whoring this tragedy to push their twisted, misguided agenda to punish the good people (us lawful firearms owners)...that is the most disgusting crime that is taking place.

./
    FivePoint2 and Stormin1155 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeg View Post
    The most horrific crime here is that if the people whoring this tragedy to push their twisted, misguided agenda to punish the good people (us lawful firearms owners)...that is the most disgusting crime that is taking place.

./
    That is the most disgusting?! Please stop "defending" my rights, sir. You're type do more harm than good.

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    Unless the school has locked doors, he could have just walked in. With his mom teaching there, he probably knew what, if any security they had in place.
    Here in Texas I can't get my granddaughter out of school unless I go through a lot of red tape. You can get into the office but not where the kids are till you are cleared.
    John

NRA Life Member
    TSRA

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links