Now is ABSOLUTELY the time to talk about gun control!

This is a discussion on Now is ABSOLUTELY the time to talk about gun control! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As in, IT DOESN'T WORK! And yes, the event that compelled me to post this is because of what happened in Newtown today and the ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Now is ABSOLUTELY the time to talk about gun control!

Now is ABSOLUTELY the time to talk about gun control!

As in, IT DOESN'T WORK!

And yes, the event that compelled me to post this is because of what happened in Newtown today and the comments by the current White House Press Secretary.

Gun control as spelled out in the Constitution is all we need. Some may say I'm going to the extreme here, but continuing to compromise our 2A rights has gotten us to where we are today.

I finally went and got CC'd so that I could protect myself and my family from events like Columbine, Virginia Tech, Aurora, and now Newtown, only to find out during the training that there are almost more places I CAN'T carry than CAN. And guess where I feel most vulnerable?

It absolutely sickens me to know that so many of the places we need to go every day in order to function in our society leave us completely unprotected. My choice is to "carry and risk going to jail, or getting fired" (which I have no intention of doing), or leaving myself at the mercy of someone who really isn't too concerned about going to jail for what he's about to do. How do I compete with that?

Looks like the next step in my self-protection evolution is to begin lobbying my elected officials to enact "common-sense gun laws", which are quite a bit different than the "anti's" definition.

This is not a political discussion, it's a Constitutional / inalienable rights discussion.
    Last edited by blanco64; December 14th, 2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo (yes, I'm that uptight)

2. Remove Ads

I just heard on tv that the guns actually belonged to the Mother and were purchased legally. The kid never should have had access to them. My kids don't even know my code to my safe.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I could not disagree with more... You are stirring your emotions.Now is a time for mourning and reflection on all those that were affected! I think this event is on the scale of 911. After which those that needed comfort and support are the primary concern. Brother i know what your thinking but I think on the same level as you do. Just like other side will act on emotions we must first show compassion. Remember who your arguing against folks operating on straight emotion. There is no logic in their thinking right now. They have no answers yet they demand them, they have no individual to told accountable therefore they will target an object or our way of life. Go home, hold home your kids tight give your wife an extra kiss tonight. I promise you the battle will come!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Gun control talk was almost immediate.

VIP Member

Rob I agree my heart goes out to all those families, just shows you how everyone jumps to conclusions though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I could not disagree with more... You are stirring your emotions.Now is a time for mourning and reflection on all those that were affected! I think this event is on the scale of 911. After which those that needed comfort and support are the primary concern. Brother i know what your thinking but I think on the same level as you do. Just like other side will act on emotions we must first show compassion. Remember who your arguing against folks operating on straight emotion. There is no logic in their thinking right now. They have no answers yet they demand them, they have no individual to told accountable therefore they will target an object or our way of life. Go home, hold home your kids tight give your wife an extra kiss tonight. I promise you the battle will come!
    This is one of the best, if not THE best, response I have read to this tragedy.

Indeed, a battle for rights will come, but first we all, regardless of own agendas, must remember those that senselessly died getting us to this point. May God be with those families.

Colorado Gov. Hickenlooper did a 180 on the issue (Colorado gun laws) yesterday. We've no choice but to get in the fight now. Can't reason with irrational fear of inanimate objects, and be sure the media is going to spin this to villainize the tool, the the person.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

It is important to make sure our individual state representatives and senators are aware of how strongly we gun owners feel about constraints against our 2A rights. They need to understand that jumping on some kind of hysterical anti-gun rights bandwagon will come with a huge political cost. Maybe not today, but certainly by the next election.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My question..... How did he get into the school? Even though his Mom who was a teacher there they should not allow him in since she was not teaching today and had no business going inside.
    Last edited by john5; December 15th, 2012 at 08:37 AM.
    John

NRA Life Member
    TSRA

Unless the school has locked doors, he could have just walked in. With his mom teaching there, he probably knew what, if any security they had in place.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Compassion AND pushing an agenda. The anti's have no problem with it. Playing nice has proven to be a losing strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by john5 View Post
    My question..... How did he get into the school? Even though is Mom who was a teacher there they should not allow him in since she was not teaching today and had no business going inside.
    And being armed with 2 handguns and an Ar-15!!!!

With no security,I could easily carry handguns and an Ar into a building without it being noticeable.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by blanco64 View Post
    Compassion AND pushing an agenda. The anti's have no problem with it. Playing nice has proven to be a losing strategy.
    By going on the attack immediately you will loose support from folks on the fence about this. Let the smoke clear in the minds of those who maybe on the fence about this issue. Just my opinion if you attack right now you will close many of those openminded individuals. I know you think think now now now is the time. I am telling you my brother your compassion will push our agenda. The other side is expecting us to fight so maybe we we loose our cool in our own emotions. If you let that happen immediately then its more full for their agenda.
    msgt/ret and Stormin1155 like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links