What has changed about our society that has created these mass shooters.

This is a discussion on What has changed about our society that has created these mass shooters. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Gene83 What's changed? We eliminated the draft. There's just one hell of a truth in that statement. BRING IT BACK....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: What has changed about our society that has created these mass shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    What's changed? We eliminated the draft.
    There's just one hell of a truth in that statement. BRING IT BACK.
    mano3 and BurgerBoy like this.

2. Remove Ads

In my personal opinion, I'd say political correctness. You can't say or do anything anymore without the threat of offending someone. Personally I'm tired of hearing you cant say that. More honesty and people speaking their mind would be refreashing. Seams we have it backwards. The select special interest groups have more rights than the majority. Pick a special interest group and determine if we haven't had their values shoved down our throats. Even criminals have more rights than the law abiding. You can't even discipline your kid anymore without the threat of interference from some do gooder that thinks they know more than you about your kid. No respecte or fear of consequences taught in schools any more. No winners or losers, everyone gets a trophy. Everything is an expectation and not worked for, just because. If I've been politically incorrect here.....oh we'll.
    Last edited by DPro.40; December 16th, 2012 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Spelling
    mg27 likes this.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    I am not speaking of all young people today but I am speaking of a majority of them......

A lot has changed.....I'm 66 years old, when I was growing up we did things as a family, went to Sunday School and Church as a family, ate meals together as a family, did things and took vacations as a family, had family discussions on every topic you could think of..My parents knew who I was with and where I was 24.7 and if not I paid the consequence for lying...

Ask kids today to have a conversation and they will laugh at you...they can't talk without a smartphone. they have no social interpersonal skills or intellectual pursuits other than texting and video games. Saw a teen yesterday at the mall walk into a storefront display window texting.

So yes, a lot has changed. Sorry but behavior starts at home from the parents down, and should be reinforced by others (schools, churches, friends, etc..etc..etc...).
    What has changed is society in general. Kids today have a feeling of entitlement, they are owed something, don't have to work for it and if I don't get it I will just take it.
    Yes...so much has changed....
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    IMO......those damn killing videos ......they're not games......they're allowing these young mentally unsatble individuals to act as the devil's advocate.....and it's no joke.
    I couldn't agree more. The kids don't know how to inter act with other people because they are stuck in the fantasy world of video programed games of military mass murder - after a while they can't diferentiate between real and fantasy. While this is a major factor IMO added to the fact of no parental supervision, constant drone of violent shoot'em up on television, lack of any religion or belief in good. If the kids are fed enough of this garbage - they start to believe it add no parental supervision and you get a Lanza.

When I was a kid we couldn't wait to get outside and play - baseball, football, and yes, cowboys and indians - ride your bike - anything to stay outside and play until your mother called you in or the street lights came on. Now, you can't drag a kid outside with a chain tied to a tractor. We also got to shoot bb guns as we got older and .22's in our early teens but no one I knew ever thought of shooting at people. I don't think these people like Lanza and other shooters know right from wrong.Sad.
    ppkheat likes this.
    " Life is tough and it gets tougher if your stupid." John Wayne.

I think media like movies,video games and tv has changed our perception of reality.

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DPro.40 View Post
    If I've been politically incorrect here.....oh we'll.
    If anything you have watered it down for fear that your 5th amendment right isn't quite what it used to be...and it isn't.

Much has changed in just the past 20 years worldwide; not just the U.S. We haven't cornered the market of evil running almost unabated.

Political correctness is a joke.
    Hate crimes have taken on new legal meaning.
    Acceptance has bred compliance...compliance has caused a new slew of laws to be written; justified by a new world order.
    Constitutional amendments have been molested beyond recognition.

The list goes on and on and on.

Many of us can point to events or points in history we feel were the turning point from morality to immorality.
    Law to lawlessness.

IMO..and I am convinced and convicted down to every fiber in my being that what we as a planet are undergoing is far more spiritual than physical.

I can find no other plausible explanation to the devolution of man.

I understand this is not the proper forum to discuss such issues and concepts.

Just my 2 cents and food for thought.
    DPro.40, 1MoreGoodGuy and mano3 like this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    IMO......those damn killing videos ......they're not games......they're allowing these young mentally unsatble individuals to act as the devil's advocate.....and it's no joke.
    Please spare me the rhetoric! Video games don't turn kids into killers any more than liking the color purple makes you gay..

Violent movies and video games have no correlation in what makes one a killer.
    Period..
    DPro.40 likes this.

You know what? If you guys are looking for facts and statistics, try reading this book....

http://gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-facts/...6_1_screen.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorri View Post
    Please spare me the rhetoric! Video games don't turn kids into killers any more than liking the color purple makes you gay..

Violent movies and video games have no correlation in what makes one a killer.
    Period..
    - It's hard to believe that people on this forum will exchange one scapegoat for another. Millions of people were killed in the world this century before videogames were ever dreamed about, even before today's programmers were even born. Even in the U.S., it's not like mass shootings didn't happen. What else do you want to place the blame on?

Timeline: Worst mass shootings in U.S. - CNN.com
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Billb1960 View Post
    What the Doc above said is 100% right on........

What has changed? It is the evolution of a society.

Since the 1950's there have been more per year......
    * Rapes

*Murders

* Senseless acts of violence

* Pedophiles

* and many other things -- Some bad, some good........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member
    I have to agree that one of major causes of this violence is the media. Since the first mass school shooting and the accompanying media circus, most of the others have been copy cats. The media creates an aura of power or infamy around these people. Stuart Whitman was the first modern mass killer on a school ground to be immortalized by the media. I realize we need the freedom of the press. I have no answer for this problem.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Why does it always fall back on the "current administration" ?
    Sound like Obama, everything is Bush's fault. Operation Gun Runner was started and ended on Bush's watch, Fast and Furious was started on Obama's watch.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by mook012 View Post
    I couldn't agree more. The kids don't know how to inter act with other people because they are stuck in the fantasy world of video programed games of military mass murder - after a while they can't diferentiate between real and fantasy. While this is a major factor IMO added to the fact of no parental supervision, constant drone of violent shoot'em up on television, lack of any religion or belief in good. If the kids are fed enough of this garbage - they start to believe it add no parental supervision and you get a Lanza.

When I was a kid we couldn't wait to get outside and play - baseball, football, and yes, cowboys and indians - ride your bike - anything to stay outside and play until your mother called you in or the street lights came on. Now, you can't drag a kid outside with a chain tied to a tractor. We also got to shoot bb guns as we got older and .22's in our early teens but no one I knew ever thought of shooting at people. I don't think these people like Lanza and other shooters know right from wrong.Sad.
    Isn't this kind of like an antis saying if we get rid of all the video games (guns) the kids (people) would quit killing. How do you know the shooter even had a play station or an Xbox. I wish my son didn't play so much video too but, I have never seen or related any connection to him going nuts on anyone. He's an honor roll student four years running, has a job teaching the kids Tie Kwon Doe class and has achieved a 2nd degree in traditional Tie Kwon Do. He is 17. His room is dirty and I have to make him take out the trash. Typical kid while exhibiting great character at the same time. We eat together and have family time together. I don't have to make him do that. He has friends I approve of and goes to a church group on Tuesdays. Get him on Call of Duty and he'll kick your a**. I've tried. He's just a kid. Psychopaths are just psychopaths. You can't say video games make killers any more than you can say guns kill people. Just my two cents worth.
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

To many years of liberal education. No one is responsible for what they do. Mentally ill people should be just like everyone else.
    Ksgunner likes this.

I believe the biggest cause of change is the idea that the punishment does not need to fit the crime. Give them a slap on the wrist, rehabilate them and let them go. They are not held accountable for their actions and it is societys fault they are having problems. Sentence them to hard labor, that would be against their rights. They have 3 hots and a cot, anything less and they will sue the state, and probably win. They have more rights in prison than they had outside, and paid for by you and I. Sheriff Arpaio of AZ has the right idea.
    mano3 likes this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links