What has changed about our society that has created these mass shooters.

This is a discussion on What has changed about our society that has created these mass shooters. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When I was a kid in school in the '60's. We talked about guns during recess, primarily hunting and target shooting. We may have even ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: What has changed about our society that has created these mass shooters.

VIP Member

When I was a kid in school in the '60's. We talked about guns during recess, primarily hunting and target shooting. We may have even had gun/hunting type of magazines in the school library, can't quite remember, but we definitely had books on it. Never once did I hear anyone say or even suggest shooting someone for any reason. Our school was plenty large and a great mix of students from different parts of the country being nearby BAFB. Shooting others was not even close to being on our radar.

My own kids are just a bit older than these shooters, mine were raised with guns/shooting/hunting, video games, etc. Just normal stuff with the kids, I'm quite sure mine would not be mass shooters. Fast forward to today and these mass shooters remind me of Kamikaze pilots.....kill many others and myself in the process. What's the cause of this, what's changed with our youth?

I'm no psychologist, but it's probably not just one thing, maybe some combination of:

Rebellion, a way to cause their family shame & humiliation, especially towards their parents?
    Video gaming?
    Some affects from past drug abuse, or some drugged state?
    Mike Huckabee said it began when they took God out of the schools?
    Lack of respect for older adults?
    Simply going against the grain of society?
    Mental or social illness? If it is I don't remember any kids like that long ago, then what caused that?
    Power trip of holding other people's lives in your hands?
    Seeking attention? Copycat stuff?

Scientists Explain What Makes A Mass Murderer - Business Insider
    The last paragraph is somewhat revealing.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

Nothing has changed to specifically cause this to happen, and there are no more mass shootings now than there ever have been. Psychopaths are not a new phenomenon, sadly.

No rise in mass killings, but their impact is huge - Yahoo! News
    RonCo, Brad426 and Sig 210 like this.

NMB
    Mass media is the only difference.

Violent crime has been consistently dropping year after year.
    Billb1960 and marcclarke like this.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

IMO......those damn killing videos ......they're not games......they're allowing these young mentally unsatble individuals to act as the devil's advocate.....and it's no joke.
    Geezer likes this.

School shootings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A list of only "notable" ones dating back to the 1800's. This is business as usual, unfortunately.

The efficiency of both news and firearms have changed maybe, but not people.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Why not ask this question to the current administration who just placed 2,000 guns in the arms of Mexican Criminals.....maybe thay have the answer.
    shadowwalker and Ksgunner like this.

Why does it always fall back on the "current administration" ?
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

It's nutrition. Here's a quick heads-up my friends. Compared to the 60's we are consuming ~110% more daily calories (~1500 to ~3300) and, from those calories, receiving ~60% LESS nutrition. Scientific & medical findings are suggesting that it would take over two dozen heads of today's cabbage to equal the complete nutritional package of ONE (1!) head of cabbage from 1960. And that's just the cabbage example, same sort of statistics on carrots, apples, rice, etc., etc. That's why there's an epidemic of blood sugar, allergies, asthma, obesity (plus a bunch more) illnesses among TEENAGERS! Hell, teenagers aren't supposed to be unhealthy! Also, check your food for one serious ingredient, HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup). It sounds innocent enough but is created by an over fifty-step chemical stripping process (including sulfuric acid) to create a molecule that has NEVER PREVIOUSLY EXISTED in nature. Next to air, water & salt it's the cheapest food-filler available, and it's in ALMOST EVERYTHING. Our bodies (and brains) don't know what to DO with it.
    If you think the world is dumbing down, it is. If you think people are going more insane, they are. And we are creating it because our food chain is broken. It doesn't matter if you eat only salad, fruits, veggies from the major groceries, they're just attractive, but hollow, calories. There's more nutrition in the...packaging!

Look up a guy named Russ Bianchi (he ran Nestle Europe R&D for years). See what HE says is making everyone so stupid, so sick & so crazy. Then make up your own mind.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    IMO......those damn killing videos ......they're not games......they're allowing these young mentally unsatble individuals to act as the devil's advocate.....and it's no joke.
    Yes, let's ban videogames that we find objectionable, but turn around and complain when statist morons want to take away scary looking guns. Scapegoating gets us nowhere; your freedoms are that much more insecure when you try to deflect an attack on your chosen, victimless activity by focusing on how someone else's is the REAL problem and we need to address THAT. In the end, no more Grand Theft Auto AND no more AR15s. This despite that fact that violence is lower in this country than it has been in decades, despite the increased prevalence of both in recent years. Oops.

There are a ton of social issues. From the schools focusing on self worth (i.e. no score at sporting events where everybody wins), to "time-out" parenting, and the list goes on. The killers want to be "known" and remembered"... basically they want the notoriety. James Holmes let himself be arrested so he could live to bask in the "glory" of his sick actions.

If the Federal Government wants to pass a law that will have an impact, pass a law making it a felony to print, broadcast, or otherwise disseminate the name or image of the perpetrator. Deny them the name recognition they so desparately desire for their heinous actions.
    CharlesMorri and MrsHB like this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

‎"We teach our children that there is no God, that morality is tractable and reducible. So what do you expect? We teach our children that there are no losers, that everyone wins. So when life teaches them failure they can't handle it. So what do you expect? We teach our children that losing touch with reality is "recreational". So when they do drugs, it's OK. So what do you expect? We teach our ch
    ildren that you don't have to earn respect, it's automatic. Then they get frustrated when they don't get respected. So what do you expect? We teach our children that it's OK to kill babies in the womb. Then shouldn't it be OK to kill children in the school? So what do you expect? We teach our children that it's wrong to pray on the football field, on the basketball court on the baseball diamond. So they learn to prey on each other. So what do you expect? We teach our children that the truth can be offensive. So they speak lies and pretend. So what do you expect? We teach our children that reverence to things in antiquity is passe, so history is left to obscurity. So what do you expect? We give our children television where every form of deprivation is acceptable. So they grow up depraved. So what do you expect? Sadly, we can expect more Newtowns in the near future. We are reaping what we have sown. Children learn whether we want them to or not.
    Don't blame the guns, blame our teachings." ~~ Doug Billings
    Daniel Defense V2 AR15
    Sig P226 TACOPS
    Glock 26
    Diamond Back DB9
    M&P Shield

Video games... I am not sure if they play a part but Col Grossman in On Killing makes a strong argument. I admit I have never played a shooter game in my life. They hold no interest to me. Both of my sons in their 20s grew up playing them and they are normal well adjusted males.

This is a somewhat biased (IMO ) look at a shooter game for those like myself that have not played one

http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...niper-elite-v2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

wmhawth, cn262, Brad426 and 4 others like this.

Re: What has changed about our society that has created these mass shooters.

I think that communication is what's changed... yeah we see terminator type stuff and think, man that would be cool... but knowing the difference in fantasy and reality... that's usually a no brainer..until a person has a mental break or has a perception issue...

Then fantasy is reality.. why does it happen?? Idk. Why do some people snap when the smallest thing happens... why do some men beat the heck out of their wives? Why is it that some people can be pushed and pushed and never break???

Idk what the issue is, but I hope to god that we find it.. perhaps that's it?? God...or seemingly, the lack thereof???

What's changed? We eliminated the draft.
    CharlesMorri, mano3 and BurgerBoy like this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links