Would the gun community be opposed to such a measure? - Page 2

Would the gun community be opposed to such a measure?

This is a discussion on Would the gun community be opposed to such a measure? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by the6shooter Change the law when it comes to mental health, make the doctors, provide the info. to the ATF, they can keep ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Would the gun community be opposed to such a measure?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the6shooter View Post
    Change the law when it comes to mental health, make the doctors, provide the info. to the ATF, they can keep the info. private.
    The same way they keep straw purchasers from shipping gus to Mexico?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I think this question is causing me...mental illness.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

What makes anyone think that a mentally ill person would answer those questions candidly?
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    farronwolf

Should we allow questions like:

Do you have a family member who is a felon? Or has anyone within your family had a domestic violence issue? Or does anyone within your family take prescription drugs?

All of these are disqualifiers for gun buyers!
    I didn't ask if there were any in the family. It is a question of whether they are in the home where the guns are to be stored and whether those people would have access to the firearm if unsecured.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Not a good idea that'll be effective, IMO.

Voluntary question, yes. But a point of comparison, then, for any background checking.

Of course, if so vaguely queried about "mental illness," it's hard to see the value. These days, it seems anyone can find a psychiatrist to label someone as having this or that "disorder" or "syndrome" irrespective of whether it's identifiable as such by a different psychiatrist or even made it into mainstream medicine. In short, as others have suggested, define mental "illness."

One thing I hate is the arbitrary, moveable goalposts, as is the case with may-issue CHL based on a "good/sufficient reason." Likewise, "illness" is pretty darned vague. And there's no getting around the simple fact that someone's got to decide on that vagueness. In that sense, specifically, it's a slippery slope, since where does one person's opinion end when further distribution of guns is at issue? Particularly if that person's got a dog in the fight, an axe to grind, anti-gunner at heart.
    zacii likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by the6shooter View Post
    Change the law when it comes to mental health, make the doctors, provide the info. to the ATF, they can keep the info. private.
    They are already supposed to report to the feds so if you are a disqualified person you will show up on the NICS check. But the doctors don't know who lives with who so they can only flag their patients, not their patients room mates.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Define kids.. define mental disorders.. define secure..

Where do you start? Where do you stop for that matter?

Right now trigger locks are to be provided with every firearm. Should it be a safe? Should you have random checks to make sure that people are putting them on their guns? Is a gun in a holster on your side secure enough?

Not trying to be confrontational, just wondering what your opinions on how you would define these things.
    Lima, those are all good questions, and it why I referenced Texas laws regarding access to readily dischargable firearm.

Some of the locks that come with the guns are really crappy and wouldn't keep a 2yr old from taking them off, some of the other ones are actually good locks and could be considered secure IMO.

It would be impossible to go around checking whether or not the firearms were all secure. It wouldn't be impossible to enforce laws when people are found violating them.

If I give a drunk access to my vehicle, am I not liable for damages, I don't think it unreasonable to say I should be liable if I give someone unfit access to my firearms. But that is my take on it.

I would rather see something of this nature than what will likely come down the pipe with current talk in Washington and around the country.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I think this question is causing me...mental illness.
    I'm going to report you...

But...it could come to just THAT, someone else reporting you for ANY reason.
    ccw9mm, DPro.40 and Hondo70 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

How about this, instead.

We make it mandatory that all able bodied citizens get training, and carry concealed handguns. After all, when the 2A was written, that was the intent. All male citizens over a certain age were to be armed, and proficient in the use of said arms. If you object, you need to pay a tax that goes toward supporting the police.

Then, if anything happens, there will be a whole host of armed citizens there to deal with the situation.

We would not need to worry about mentally ill getting guns, or criminals, or anything else. Because if anyone tried anything stupid, they would not live very long.

There ya go.
    ctr and Hondo70 like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

asking people if they are mentally ill, is kinda silly.

if they want to buy a gun and are mentally ill, they will simply answer "no".

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    How about this, instead.
    We make it mandatory that all able bodied citizens get training, and carry concealed handguns. After all, when the 2A was written, that was the intent. All male citizens over a certain age were to be armed, and proficient in the use of said arms. If you object, you need to pay a tax that goes toward supporting the police.
    I dont know how serious you are, but forcing something on everyone is as bad as taking it the option away from them. It almost sounds like our new approach to health insurance

Too much of a "feel good" measure. No way to validate the "no" answer without more govt "help".

This shooting in CT is not about the guns (or at least, it shouldn't).

This shooting is about a disturbed individual. One that cannot be prosecuted and give "the people" their pound of flesh...or explain why he committed this heinous crime.

As a result, community leaders feel the need to do "something"....blame "something"...because the someone can't be blamed. The easy target (pun intended) is guns...because they are "evil" and it fits the popular social agenda.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Define kids.. define mental disorders.. define secure..

Where do you start? Where do you stop for that matter?

Right now trigger locks are to be provided with every firearm. Should it be a safe? Should you have random checks to make sure that people are putting them on their guns? Is a gun in a holster on your side secure enough?

Not trying to be confrontational, just wondering what your opinions on how you would define these things.
    Kids--under 18

Mental disorders--those diagnosed with such by medicos

Secure--trigger locks, safes, anything that renders a firearm unuseable or keeps it out of the hands of those who shouldn't have access.

Unfortunately, the mother whose firearms were used in the CT murders cannot be held accountable as she failed to secure her firearms from an alledgedly unstable son.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    We make it mandatory that all able bodied citizens get training, and carry concealed handguns. After all, when the 2A was written, that was the intent. All male citizens over a certain age were to be armed, and proficient in the use of said arms. If you object, you need to pay a tax that goes toward supporting the police. Then, if anything happens, there will be a whole host of armed citizens there to deal with the situation. We would not need to worry about mentally ill getting guns, or criminals, or anything else. Because if anyone tried anything stupid, they would not live very long.
    Where's the top-end age restriction? When do you plan to pull my teeth & who decides?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by SayVandelay View Post
    I dont know how serious you are, but forcing something on everyone is as bad as taking it the option away from them. It almost sounds like our new approach to health insurance
    Not really. Health insurance is not in the Constitution. The 2A is.

At the time the 2A was written, it was rather common for all males (usually 16 +) to be required to provide a gun, powder, and a bayonet - and to muster for training at a regular interval for the local militia. Some areas still have such laws on the books, but they are not enforced.

And if you are a 'conscientious objector' to militia service, you can "buy" your way out by paying a tax, the proceeds of which are used to pay someone else to protect you.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Where's the top-end age restriction? When do you plan to pull my teeth & who decides?
    I was really trying to make a point. Rather than more useless legislation, we would be safer by having more law-abiding citizens go about armed. Only a small percentage of the population has a CCW - hence my suggesting we go back to our roots and make "militia" service mandatory.

And at the time, once you reached the "top end" of militia service, no one took your guns away. After all, they were your own property. You were merely no longer required to show up for militia service.

Thus endeth our history lesson for the day.
    ctr likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links