Would the gun community be opposed to such a measure?

This is a discussion on Would the gun community be opposed to such a measure? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't want to hijack any of the other threads about the possibility of upcoming legislation regarding the 2A or assault weapons so I am ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Would the gun community be opposed to such a measure?

I don't want to hijack any of the other threads about the possibility of upcoming legislation regarding the 2A or assault weapons so I am starting this new thread.

Currently on the 4473 there is a question regarding if the the purchaser has had a history of mental illness. That is all well and good and I don't think many folks would argue against keeping mentally ill people from purchasing firearms.

What I am looking for is responses to placing an additional question on the 4473 or some other restictions in the way of asking if there is anyone who has lived or is currently living with the purchaser of the firearm who has a history of mental illness.

My thoughts are if you have someone who has a mental illness living with you and you are going to own firearms there might be some restriction which would force you to secure those firearms. In Texas we have penalties for making a readily dischargable firearm available to someone under 17 years of age. The penalty is a class C misdemeanor if they gain access and a class A if they injure themselves or someone else. Logic would dictate that if a penalty should be there for minors why would there not be a penalty for allowing someone who isn't mentally fit to have access to the firearm as well.

I would like to hear the pros and cons for such a question on the 4473, and solutions to put some type of penalty there if a person doesn't keep their firearms secure from those who are mentally unstable.

Yes there would have to be exceptions if the person gain access illegally to your firearms. However, just as if you loose your firearm to a burglary or other cause, you certainly should report the loss or theft.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Define mental illness.
    discoboxer and bgriffin70 like this.

Slippery slope......
    discoboxer likes this.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

VIP Member
    Its a yes on no question. What is to stop him from saying yes or no?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Failure to secure firearms with kids or those diagnosed with mental disorders should be criminal.
    Thanis, Bacon and dean1818 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by GrandZJ View Post
    Define mental illness.
    Have you read the information on question 11F on the 4473?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

We're asked if we're mental defects when we apply for our CCP in NC and then they confirm that with a medical background check. I obviously didn't disapprove or I wouldn't have subjected myself to it. I don't see why everybody can't go through the same thing to purchase a handgun. All these checks won't stop every killer but if it stops just one that's dozens of families that aren't destroyed by a five-minute rampage.

What makes anyone think that a mentally ill person would answer those questions honestly? It is like asking a criminal if they have ever been convicted of a crime. What criminal is going to tell the truth? If I knew my second cousin living over in Europe had a mental illness, but thought it probable that answering yes would prohibit me from having a gun I am about to pay hundreds to over a thousand dollars for, why in the world would I say yes?
    God said, "Fear Not..." over 350 times in the Bible, so, fear not those who can take your freedoms away. Rather, fear the day that no one will fight to save them.

Before anything like this comes into effect, we would first need to clearly define what mental illness is, and what areas of mental illness will bring up a flag. The reason that mentally ill people are so protected to the point that truly disturbed people arent in treatment, is that people used to use mental illness to institutionalize people for just about anything. People were put in institutions for a number of political views, and families would use it to get power of attorney over family members. If this was addressed, and properly regulated, it would do more to curb violence in our culture than any reactionary magazine ban or more hurdles in gun licensing.
    Sarge65 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Failure to secure firearms with kids or those diagnosed with mental disorders should be criminal.
    Define kids.. define mental disorders.. define secure..

Where do you start? Where do you stop for that matter?

Right now trigger locks are to be provided with every firearm. Should it be a safe? Should you have random checks to make sure that people are putting them on their guns? Is a gun in a holster on your side secure enough?

Not trying to be confrontational, just wondering what your opinions on how you would define these things.

The problem I see is that we can't reasonably expect everyone to actually be able to answer that question. Because of federal and state privacy laws regarding medical information there is no way you would know another person's diagnosis unless you were their guardian or they disclose that information voluntarily.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I have been to and have seen people that own firearms, so unsecure it made me nervous just being around them.
    All I can say is that when I had guns They are in the safe, no exception!!!!.
    I don't keep them in the nightstand on the table or under the lid of my toilet. they are in the safe, or on my person.
    Case and point here in oklahoma just this Saturday 12/15/2012, a child was taken to his uncles house (A oklahoma state trooper) to go over
    Christmas plans. His 3 yr. old nephew went into his bedroom and got a handgun out of the nightstand and died from 1 shot to the head.

If you are going to have guns, secure them period!!!

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    farronwolf

Should we allow questions like:

Do you have a family member who is a felon? Or has anyone within your family had a domestic violence issue? Or does anyone within your family take prescription drugs?

All of these are disqualifiers for gun buyers!
    Last edited by onacoma; December 17th, 2012 at 03:51 PM. Reason: sp
    msgt/ret and phreddy like this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    The problem I see is that we can't reasonably expect everyone to actually be able to answer that question. Because of federal and state privacy laws regarding medical information there is no way you would know another person's diagnosis unless you were their guardian or they disclose that information voluntarily.
    Change the law when it comes to mental health, make the doctors, provide the info. to the ATF, they can keep the info. private.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    What would you say to the 12 year old who went and got her parents gun and shot the intruder while she was home alone? What if she wasn't allowed access to it?
    12 Year Old OK Girl Shoots Home invader

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links